Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT-Idler Arm-Front Drive Toronado-1966-1978-Repairable?
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: October 12, 2018 08:03AM

The Idler arm on my just acquired 1966 Toronado is badly worn, and a new one is $70, luckily it's available on eBay and made in USA. But I wondered if it uses the same type of rebuild parts as the Corvair idler arms. I'm sure the Toronado one is twice as big. Has anybody ever had experience taking these apart and putting a new ball and bushing inside? And of course I wonder if these parts are even available like they were for the Corvair a few years ago.

If you're curious, you can see a video of me tinkering with the starter yesterday on YouTube. corvairwild.

The starter was a remanufactured AC Delco, but remain in China, and the bushing came out of the starter nose, I video'd that, and I did wiggle the steering to the best of my ability while lying under the car and holding the camera so you can see the sloppy idler arm. 38 years ago, I had the exact same Toronado, and I still have it, and the pitman arm was badly worn, and even though the GM manual says not to strike the arm directly, I took her to the local Chev Olds dealer, and the mechanic actually drove a. 1966 Toronado to work every single day! Anyways, he used a long bar to beat the crap out of the idler arm until it came off of the steering shaft. But on this car the pitman arm is fine.

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2018 08:08AM by UGLYTRUK.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.