Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
F.C. Boomerang related topic
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: October 11, 2018 02:33PM

I just got off the phone with Glen at Rare Parts who works in the New Sales Development / Product Tech Support department regarding lower ball joints that the company just began producing for the Plymouth Prowler's and I suggested to him that there may be a market for the Corvair F.C. Boomerang.

Keep in mind that there were only 11,702 Plymouth/Chrysler Prowlers made available for sale to the public over five model years which is considerably less than the number of Corvair FC's probably still out there today.

IF someone here or maybe one of our vendors were to have the time inclination, and energy to contact Rare Parts regarding the production of this part,and follow it through, It might be feasible that a reproduction part could be a reality.

IF anyone her is interested in contact information for Glen at Rare Parts, send me a PM and I will provide it.

Let the discussion begin:grinning smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: F.C. Boomerang related topic
Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: October 11, 2018 04:14PM

Clark's has rebuilt ones back in stock. I thought they were reproduced, but just rebuilt.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2013 Hyundai Elantra (daughter's future car)
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2018 04:19PM by jcorvair.

Posted by: WCcorsa ()
Date: October 11, 2018 04:21PM

Rare Parts re-sells alot of Clarks suspension parts such as ball joints.
Same exact parts with a higher price tag. I know I've purchased the exact same parts from both. Same parts, same packaging different stick-on label.

I'd bet there are less than 11,000 Corvair FC's on the road and far fewer owners willing to spend what it will cost to buy rebuilt or reproduced boomerangs.

Somehow I think Prowler owners operate in an budget range that significantly differs from the majprity Corvair owners.

Considering the investment to reproduce boomerangs and their eventual retail price, I'm not sure anyone would be willing to take that risk.

Date: October 11, 2018 04:42PM

I don't disagree at all with that. FWIW the Prowler Ball Joint will sell for less than $100.00 each when they are released for general sale.
I pre ordered six at the introductory price of $67.47 each.
Give that this part is not available through Chrysler/Plymouth at any price, I am happy to pay the price especially since these were once replaced under a warranty recall type of situation on the majority of the cars produced.

Once Clarks runs out of the parts they are using to rebuild the Boomerangs, finding other options may be difficult.
This is where the "Typical" Corvair owner shoots themselves in the foot. By being to cheap to support the folks that make the effort to reproduce parts to keep our vehicles on the road. JMO

I did some quick research to figure out the total FC production over the years and it was roughly 130.362 vehicles. If 10% are still on the road or in viable shape to put back on the road today, that would be about 13,000 F.C.'s

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2018 04:46PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: October 11, 2018 05:51PM

Andria,
I don't want to take the lead on this, but I do have several GM engineering drawings for the boomerang arm. I can send the files if someone wants to use them.
Steve

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: October 12, 2018 09:02AM

This could be helpful: [corvaircenter.com]

Chet in Ramona

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: October 12, 2018 09:13AM

Maybe it would be more practical to have the rebuild kits reproduced instead of the complete arm. The kits are almost non existent.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 12, 2018 10:47AM

I've been looking for a kit for a while with no luck.

Posted by: clarkscorvair ()
Date: October 12, 2018 11:11AM

We recently had the parts to rebuild these reproduced and have reintroduced them into the market again.

[www.corvair.com]

Clarks Corvair Parts

Date: October 12, 2018 11:15AM

Ta Da!

Here is the Clark's Corvair part photo:

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: October 12, 2018 03:00PM

clarkscorvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We recently had the parts to rebuild these
> reproduced and have reintroduced them into the
> market again.
>
> [www.corvair.com]
> 615R
>
>
> Clarks Corvair Parts

Well that is indeed great news to hear. I was concerned that the initial parts you had would run out with no alternative solution in sight.

As always, you guys are one step ahead of the rest of us.thumbs up

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: October 12, 2018 04:44PM

Update:
After reading the replies from Steveinmarietta and Clark's, I sent Glen at Rare Parts an e-mail with both pieces of information.
I got a response from Glen promptly and it reads as follows:
"Awesome. Bell cranks are costly to reproduce, so we will stay with Clark Corvairs option.
Thank you,"

With that said, it appears the idea of a reproduction Boomerang at this time is no longer as important as I thought it might be. I do thank those who responded.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.