Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
F/S '66 Convertible 4 speed. $4,250
Posted by: erichoff ()
Date: October 10, 2018 11:29AM

I've listed it on craigslist too, lots of photos there, but I'd much rather sell it to someone here.

I purchased the car about three years ago with the intent of cleaning it up a bit and just driving it, was never intended to be a show car. It's a good solid convertible, but the underside has surface rust and if its not addressed soon it may be too late. I just don't have the time, and no longer have the facilities to take care of this car.

'66 4 speed, not certain about the engine. The stampings on the case (TOIO5RG) I think seems to indicate it's a 95 hp, but it pulls better than my old '67 Monza convertible with a 110. My guess is it was rebuilt at some time in its life. Odometer says 46,000 but likely 146,000.

forsale

Has a new top, 5 new tires, and I installed a dual master cylinder. Runs great, and I hate to get rid of it, but I don't want to see it rust away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 11:41AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: F/S '66 Convertible 4 speed. $4,250
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: October 10, 2018 12:18PM

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....purple.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA & South Coast CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 10, 2018 03:44PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....purple.

Looks more like Dodge, Garnet Red, to me.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: erichoff ()
Date: October 10, 2018 07:41PM

I like to think of it as similar to the 1974 Olds Burgundy Metallic.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: October 11, 2018 03:21AM

That's an interesting collection there, especially the bus, it looks like a combo Parrothead and Ole Miss tailgater bus. The cars look good together too.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 11, 2018 03:36AM

The Monza color looks like the Madeira Maroon my dad's 65 Impala wagon had.

Photo shows a Chevelle in Madeira Maroon.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Attachments:
Posted by: j3m ()
Date: October 12, 2018 02:23PM

It may be time to just POR-15 the hell out of the UNDERSIDE (floors/rockers/uni-frame structure, etc..), just POR-15 the hell out of it, probably would take a 1 Gallon can, or at least a 1/2 gallon but probably much more than that,----just slosh, brush, slap as much POR-15 into holes, crevices and then slop as much POR-15 over the existing rusted exterior bottom (underside) of the car, without bothering to remove any rust first. The car is certainly honestly presented and is something of a nice but severely rusted beater. It is too far gone to be a restoration project (proper restoration by cutting and replacing structural metal and floor pans WILL BE far beyond the cost of just purchasing a golden-west area minimally rusted Convertible fully intact and shipping it from Ariz/South Calif/Nevada/New Mexico, etc. You could easily purchase a "running" and decent golden-west Convertible for far less than what even a half-ass attempt to restore that car.
My advice would be to just CALL IT A DAY and just use about $165 of POR-15 to solidify the existing structure underneath the car, and just ENJOY the car as it is because from 15 feet away, the car looks nice enough, and the previous owner's bondo job and paintwork appears to be better than what is seen on most beaters. The interior is presentable and that exterior color looks nice and mates with the interior upholstery color nicely. Saddle tan (medium beige) upholstery would look even better with that maroon exterior shade. Just saying, the wrecking yards are full of saddle tan leather seats from HONDA/LEXUS/TOYOTA/MAZDA/ACURA/INFINITY/KIA/HYUNDAI/JAGUAR/VOLVO, etc and so you go cut some floor portion metal with the seattracks from the donor car....then you get 'CREATIVE' with ladder type floor span--side to side bracing of that horriblly rusted Corvair underside/floorpan structure and along with Liberal POR-15 , you should be able to if the car is solid enough where it doesn't yet sag if say a 200 pound man stands immediately behind the drivers seat with both doors open. If it doesn't sag, then POR-15 probably can extend the life of this Corvair until the exterior paint/bodywork and mechanicals(brakes/suspen/shocks/engine) need serious work.
Basically it is much like a 90 year old human that is still sharp and lucid and mobile and self-sufficient. Too much treatment might equal side-effects that adversely affect the quality of life. In the Corvair's case it will affect the quality of your wallet if you attempt too much on this... JUST MY THOUGHTS and for about $4000 this one can be a Disposable BEATER for someone to enjoy as is and economically minimally modify as necessary. It will certainly serve as an educational tool, and you'll certainly get more than $4500 of fun from something like this, so you won't have wasted any money if you just use it until it disintegrates from its rust cancer......just use POR-15 to keep the cancer from spreading and killing the "patient".........Transplant is better than surgery here because a golden-west minimally rusted body/car is better than the prognosis for a decent outcome on a vehicle with this underside condition...........Still if it is still structurally solid (no flex, no sagging)....just enjoy the beater for what it is and use POR-15 to solidify and minimize the spread of the "terminal cancer".

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: October 12, 2018 02:29PM

nice and to the point j3m. winking smileycool smileygrinning smiley

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: October 12, 2018 03:03PM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Monza color looks like the Madeira Maroon...

Yup! My thoughts also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.