Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Insurance Topic Transferred from another thread.
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: October 09, 2018 05:20PM

Rather than continue to veer off topic on the "Tire Age" thread. I decided to continue the "Veer" here.

Here are some of the posts from the other thread to start off beginning with the comment (In Bold) that when replied to started the topic to veer.

Re: At what age (sidewall date code) do you think tires should be replaced?
Posted by: Caraholic4life () Date: October 08, 2018 03:50PM

.....FWIW, I have a set of Yokohama's on my 1965 Monza coupe that were sitting around brand new for several years before they were mounted on wheels. They got mounted on wheels back in 2010 and the car has only been pushed from spot to spot into and out of the garage and around the driveway from time to time. These tires don't even have one mile on them but I wouldn't trust them to do anything more than test drive the car on my dead end street at speeds under 30 MPH at this point. Three of them look perfect but one kept losing air and going flat. That tire has all kinds of dry rot cracks on the sidewall.
My plan is to buy brand new tires for the car once I get it back together and ready to insure and tag for use. I won't risk using these particular tires.

The following replies are:

Posted by: corvairsince70 () Date: October 08, 2018 04:22PM

Caraholic,
You don't insure your cars whether you drive them or not? If it has value to you it needs insurance. Homeowners insurance will not pay for an uninsured car in the garage if something happens to it, you lose.

Posted by: American Mel () Date: October 08, 2018 04:38PM

Well, some insurance companies wont issue an initial insurance policy, unless tagged and running.
After that, you can get "sitting insurance".

Posted by: Caraholic4life () Date: October 08, 2018 05:09PM

Currently the Corvair's are untagged and uninsured. I bought both as projects and as stated, I don't think my insurance company will insure incomplete untagged vehicles.
They already think that having four tagged insured vehicles with only one person in the house is odd. Apparently they don't comprehend cars as a hobby.

In the event something happens to the Corvairs, I'll argue that since they didn't run, were not tagged, they were "Yard Art" and see where that conversation goes after they stop laughing at me.

IF I thought I could get insurance on the Non running, untagged vehicles, I would absolutely do just that. Until then, I just have to hope nobody thinks they are worth stealing.

Posted by: Wagon Master () Date: October 08, 2018 07:33PM

Time to find a new insurance company.eye rolling smiley

OK, This gives an idea of this "Veered" conversation on a separate thread wher it can continue if so desired.

Posted by: Caraholic4life () Date: October 08, 2018 07:34PM

Actually I have not inquired about getting insurance on my untagged Corvairs as it had not seemed to be important enough to do. (My Bad I guess)

Recently I got my annual renewal notice for the four vehicles I have insured and find it relatively reasonable for the coverage limits I have.

Liability and Uninsured Motorist coverages are.
Bodily Injury $250,000.00 per person, $500,000.00 per accident.
Property Damage $100,000.00 per accident.

I carry Liability, Collision, and Comprehensive on my Focus & Prowler.
I carry Liability, and Comprehensive on the Astro Van and S-10 since they are not worth much but want coverage if they are vandalized, stolen, or a tree falls on them.
I have a $100.00 Deductible on Collision and a $50.00 Deductible on everything else.
The Focus is rated for driving to and from work and the others for pleasure use.
The Focus costs $583.00, Prowler $589.00, Astro Van is $320.00, S-10 $262.00 annually. for a total premium of $1,754.00 if I pay in installments.
I pay annually so the discount brings this year's premium down to $1,581.00

The same company also insures my Home and I get a discounted rate for it as well.

The first insurance company I had, I kept for almost thirty years. I went with another for five or six years then switched to this one almost ten years ago. Typically I am faithful to my service providers until such point as I feel there is a need to change. So far I am planning on sticking with what I have since the current company has treated me well.
In the past ten years I have submitted two comprehensive claims that were both due to "Deer" impacts.
The company stepped up with a reasonable check for the S-10 and didn't argue or hesitate to pay for the custom paint work on the Prowler even though I don't have specified additional coverages for the custom work.

Regarding the '65 Monza, even though it qualifies for Historic License Plates, I intend to put regular license plates on it.
Recently Maryland amended the rules for Historic Tagged vehicles limiting where they can't be driven and how they are used. They also require the vehicle to have Historic or Collector Insurance. The Insurance companies have a tendency to strictly limit where, when, and how far the vehicle can be driven with the specialty policy. I don't want any limitations or restrictions.
For that reason, I am planning on putting the car through a legitimate inspection, put regular insurance on it, and drive it like a regular car with no limitations and conditions.

Yes I realize I will pay more in premiums and potentially have lower coverages than with a specialty policy, but I will also have no restrictions.

When I Insure the '65 and put license plates on it. I will inquire about insurance on the '62 FC.
I may put Historic plates on it initially if I can later change it to regular plates if I decide to drive it on a more regular basis. If I can't, I'll wait until it runs to register and insure it but may inquire about an addendum to my Homeowners policy to cover it even though I won't hold my breath hoping they will agree.

Yes, I am getting more stubborn and opinionated as I get older, who isn't.

OK, Have at it....

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2018 09:58PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transferred Insurance Topic from another thread.
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 09, 2018 05:32PM

You seem to be in good shape!

I have two Vairs with Hagerty $3500 $6500 full coverages and no deductibles... plus their premium Road service.... $315 per year...

Regular Tags... no restrictions... just must be Garaged..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: October 09, 2018 05:46PM

Just to add, I have my project cars insured with Hagarty for full coverage but in storage/restoration mode. Good if the barn burns down, no good for road use. I can increase declared value as the restoration proceeds. This is cheaper than the regular hagerty full coverage. Talk to an agent they are into cool cars.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 09, 2018 06:03PM

The regular Hagerty insurance is so cheap I don't see how they could do the paperwork on something that is less. I guess the prices vary quite a bit depending on where you live.

Date: October 09, 2018 06:16PM

Price really is dependant on Value you insure for..why I stated what I had..

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 09, 2018 06:39PM

I said what I did because mine is way cheaper for similar values. I do have more cars with them so I am probably also getting a quantity discount. The last one I insured for $3500 was less than $30/yr. IIRC it was $18.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 09, 2018 06:50PM

Another vote for Hagerty here...they are great.

Like Joel said how do they do it so inexpensively?

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 09, 2018 06:52PM

When I added Gem it raised my yearly premium by six bucks.

That was with SuperVair as my anchor vehicle at $360 per year.

Now S/V is gone...they are sending a pro rated $256 refund check.

I know what is next (yellow zonker) but I haven't picked it up yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2018 06:57PM by Phil Dally.

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: October 09, 2018 07:00PM

I use Grundys Insurance. Like ALL the others, they’re a broker. The insurance company behind them is Philadelphia. They insure cars for stated value irregardless of registrations. I know this for a fact since I have two such cars covered. I’m not sure of Hagerty. I had them before but had an issue with my Lotus Super 7 so I switched. I have 9 cars insured with them, another 3 with Auto Owners.

Homeowners insurance will not typically cover a garaged car, regardless of its registration status in Florida but other states vary. It’s best to check FIRST before assuming it’s covered. Don’t ever assume anything with insurance.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 09, 2018 07:49PM

Heh heh.
I once worked with a fellow that insisted that his classic old ford truck was covered by his home owners policy.
I insisted that vehicles were NOT covered.
He then declared thatthe policy reads, that "ANYTHING ATTACHED to the house is covered", and since he had a large chain locking his front bumper to the house, it was "attached, and therefore covered" ! ! !
Yeah, he was serious! eye rolling smiley
I didn't argue, it wasn't worth it.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: blue hen ()
Date: October 09, 2018 08:03PM

I always recommend to my clients to buy the best insurance that is offered. People should buy as much UM and UIM coverage they can afford. Also check to see if your state allows "stacking" of policies. If you are injured in a collision with someone who has minimal coverage UIM can save your bacon...

Also get disability insurance if you can afford it.

For instance- my wife's co-worker bought a new car and she only had 100k in UIM coverage. Guy that hit her had 350K liability policy. his Insurance carrier tendered policy limits almost immediately. He left turned her and hit her head on will on his cell phone. She was flown to hospital in helicopter. Copter bill tried to wipe out her PIP policy since it was a 17K bill. She had 5 surgeries and spent 3 months in rehab facility. Missed 7 months of work. Had disability policy
that helped but she still almost lost her house.

So she had 450K in insurance proceeds vs. hospital and rehab bills of 1.2mil and she now needs a new hip at 58 yrs, old,

And if your state has a tort option make sure you get the most generous tort option.

Date: October 10, 2018 01:10PM

Melb-Mike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
It’s best to check FIRST before assuming it’s covered.
> Don’t ever assume anything with insurance.

I only assume two things when it comes to most insurance policies.
1. They will gladly accept your money without question.
2. They will do almost anything to deny a payout.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Re: Insurance Topic Transferred from another thread.
Date: October 10, 2018 01:26PM

I have the Highest Coverage I can buy from my Insurance Company with very low deductibles. I would purchase a higher limit policy if I could.
In Maryland the minimum Liability coverage to register and tag a vehicle is a whopping $30,000.00 if memory serves. Not to long ago the minimum was $20K.

Some of the reasons I don't want Collector or Historic type insurance on my cars is that many companies limit the miles driven annually, prohibit a person from stopping at the convenience or grocery store on the way home from anywhere to pick up a gallon of milk, and they often mandate where the vehicle is to be parked (Like a garage).

I have six vehicles and a two car metal carport that has sort of been enclosed to keep the neighbors cat from sharpening it's claws on the convertible's top.
The two vehicles I keep in the "Garage" such as it is, are the Prowler and my daily driver which is the Focus. This means the other four get to sit outside.
The Corvairs do have the additional protection of good heavy duty outdoor rated covers but they are not the ideal solution. I am planning to build a garage large enough to park everything else inside but that is still a ways off.

Attached is a photo of my driveway and garage from a while back.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 10, 2018 02:30PM

I need a glossary of terms.

PIP?
UM?
UIM?

You guys work for the military?confused smiley

I know one should be uninsured motorist.

In search of PIP was a Twlight Zone episode....grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: October 10, 2018 02:38PM

Un insured Motorist

UNDER insured motorist

Personal Injury Protection

Date: October 10, 2018 02:40PM

In Calif. I always carried UMVD

Un insured motorist vehicle damage

collected 4 times... someone recently said MAX was $3500 now.... not enough to fix a bumper!

Date: October 11, 2018 05:37AM

Caraholic, Hagerty will allow everything you mentioned. They do require that you have a daily driver car with standard insurance through another company. They used to require covered parking but they told me they allow driveway parking now. I'm sure they charge more for that. What they allow also depends on how close to the ocean you are.

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: October 11, 2018 01:45PM

I pay $415 Canadian for $50,000 coverage on my convertible through Hagerty, including $1 M third party and (if i recall correctly) a $100 comprehensive and $300 collision deductible. I then bumped up the third party liability to $5 M, plus underinsured vehicle coverage and basic insurance through the government insurer here and the cost for that was almost $1000 with my safe driving discount - what a rip off. We don't have much choice for private insurance here in Canada on collector/classic cars. BCAA (i.e., AAA) offers an agreed value policy, but I never even looked into it. I declared I park it in a garage and only drive 1500 km per year at most.

James
Maple Ridge, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2013 Hyundai Elantra (daughter's future car)
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: October 12, 2018 07:20PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Caraholic, Hagerty will allow everything you
> mentioned. They do require that you have a daily
> driver car with standard insurance through another
> company. They used to require covered parking but
> they told me they allow driveway parking now.
I'm
> sure they charge more for that. What they allow
> also depends on how close to the ocean you are.

Joel, besides an agent telling you that, is it written in the policy somewhere?
I was under the assumption that all collector car insurance policies require being "garaged".

I realize it varies state-by-state and by underwriters, but it sure would be nice to legally avoid that one requirement.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: October 12, 2018 07:41PM

I have one under a carport.... but I have gated property

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.