Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT - Anyone have a Power Probe 3?
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: October 06, 2018 06:08PM

Does anyone have a Power Probe 3?

IF SO - What do you think are the Pros and Cons...

I'm thinking of getting a Power Probe 3 and the Power Probe CAT IV 600V digital multimeter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 06:09PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Anyone have a Power Probe 3?
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: October 06, 2018 06:31PM

The Power Probe looks interesting, never had heard of it before but I'm not an auto mechanic. I am an industrial electrician and I do like Fluke meters.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 06, 2018 06:32PM

After using Fluke for Decades.... all HF for me....

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 06, 2018 07:06PM

So neither of you have one. BTW - Power Probe 3 is NOT a meter...

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: October 06, 2018 07:09PM

I have one, it’s a great tool. There is a little learning curve but it’s not too steep. A multi meter will do some things that the PP3 won’t do but for auto electric it does 90+ percent of what I need it to. Being able to energize and/or ground components in your hand is awesome. They can check continuity, voltage, ground, and even indicate high/low resistance but without real accuracy. The only con I can think of is if you’re working on long trucks or trailers you’ll need the extension to hook up to the battery.

It is pretty much the first and often only tool I grab for auto electric diagnosis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 07:11PM by streblerm.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 06, 2018 07:22PM

Do not have a Power Probe 3, so have no opinion.

I do have HF and Fluke meters, and for what the Power Probe meter (PPDMM) is, I would buy the HF $22 one instead.

Now, if I was going to work on 480 vac circuits, I would get a Fluke or the PPDMM and hope the Cat IV rating is good.

What do you need these two tools to perform?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: October 06, 2018 07:37PM

The Probe is NOT a meter...

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: October 06, 2018 07:40PM

The power probe really isn’t a meter. It’s more like a deluxe powered test light with a display. It hooks to the battery of the vehicle you are working on and is able to identify power and ground as well as being able to supply power and ground to a circuit or component.

Date: October 06, 2018 08:00PM

Interesting, the Power Probe DMM listed on Amazon is NOT listed on Power Probe's website.

[www.powerprobe.com]

The idea of a device to safely ground or apply hot to a circuit is very handy on modern automotive troubleshooting. But, I have not had one to use, yet.grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 07, 2018 01:01AM

Nothing on the Power Probe except that I've been tempted to buy one. Tony you'll have to let me know what you think if you get it.
The HF meters like most less expensive meters are not reliable. They seem ok the first few times you use them but then they get squirrely. I have a couple of HFs several and several other brands including Craftsman that all have the same symptoms. They will read differently every time you try them. Sometimes you can work the dial back and forth and get them to work so I guess the contacts oxidize. My ancient Fluke and a 20+ year old Craftsman are the only ones I have that seem to work.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 07, 2018 05:15AM

Joel, I have Fluke 77, I recently got it out just to change the battery before it went bad a and leaked. I have HF meters all over the place garage ,basement , shop, kitchen, all the cars and two in the RV. None ever went flaky. You do need to remove and replace the leads regularly to maintain a good connection. Same with any DVM. The only failures I have had were leads wires and one or two had faded displays.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: October 07, 2018 05:27AM

I personally know I could put one to good use.

What a great way to test stuff.

With all the Ultravan wiring / circuits I have to test and/or replace and the more modern circuits I will be adding to coaches with relays.

As for their meter vs Competitors... NOTE: Theirs goes up to 600 volts... Great for testing these newer hybrid and EV cars or hopefully some day soon my own EV 60 Corvair Wagon...

FYI - If I had one now. I could use it to put power at the relay for the fuel pump and test it much easier.
I could also put power right at the fuel pump - if I had a mouse that shorted out the factory wire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 05:30AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: squirrel ()
Date: October 07, 2018 06:46AM

if you want to read about it...

[www.powerprobe.com]

Looks like it could be useful. If you want to spend 60 bucks or so.

Jim Forbes.......63 Monza coupe......Sierra Vista, AZ

Date: October 07, 2018 03:12PM

Matt,

Please delete this thread... Thanks

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: October 07, 2018 03:20PM

I love my Power Probe!

65 Crown Coupe
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4L85e Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 TH400
2006 GTO
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 07, 2018 03:40PM

Looks like a Christmas present for me. I can get rid of some meters and test probe lights I have hanging around.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: October 07, 2018 05:37PM

The Power Probe looks like a very useful tool. I also have a few 'cheap' meters that usually tell the story however I have a decent understanding of electricity and sometimes I find it useful to know exactly what's going on and that's when I'll go get the Fluke. For most people a Cat III or higher meter is not necessary but they can be a life saver for industrial workers that have access to medium voltage like 4-25,000 volts, if you touch the leads of a cheap meter to that much voltage, your meter explodes, it scares you and you pull the leads back, the arc follow your leads, ionizes the air and conducts across the energized conductors causing a plasma ball that burns your skin off then you have a very bad day and usually die. A Cat III, IV meter is designed to handle this mistake without killing you.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 07, 2018 06:02PM

That sounds exciting!

Date: October 07, 2018 06:38PM

I too have many of the free HF meters. Keep them in kitchen, cars, etc. The only time they are flaky is when the battery is almost dead. Seen this with Flukes also.... For the price, they are great!grinning smiley

Oh, but they are not built to take a fall.winking smiley Nor save the battery (no auto off).

Speaking of this, I have seen Flukes ruined by leaving batteries in them so long they leak onto the circuit board. Do not do this.angry smiley

Ottawa, I have not seen a DMM that did not go to at least 600 V AC and DC. Even when they first came out, like the early Beckmans. I'm sure someone will post they have one.winking smiley

Power Probe sounds like the perfect tester to apply power to relays. You will have to make a longer lead for Ultravan use, I would think.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: October 09, 2018 04:50PM

My Power Probe 3 came with a 20' extension, for a total of 40', and some other cool accessories, probes, etc. A very useful tool for troubleshooting and building.

65 Crown Coupe
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4L85e Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 TH400
2006 GTO
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.