Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
First attempt at installing Clarks two tone seat covers
Posted by: red monza ()
Date: October 05, 2018 06:44AM

I have built 3 street rods from the ground up...engine, wiring from scratch, cutting the front frame off and welding a GM clip in, and putting the cars together from there... and my last one I painted out in my driveway.

I must admit, doing the interior scared me to death. Being both the Corvairs needed interiors, I checked with the shop that did my 49 Chevy Fleetline interior which everyone asks who did it...he told me $750.00 for each car to do the seats.I decided it was time for me to learn how to do the interiors. My 64 409 friend told me he would help as he had done his 68 Corvette seats and he owed me time as I had fixed his cooling and starting problem on his 409. He came over and we took the seat apart but that was it. With the help of the Clarks video ( terrible) and the 65 GTO video, I jumped in. The worse that could happen is $750.00 to my interior man.

I made a video for me so that when I did the 64 conv seats later this year or next year, I could review what I had done. I have not even seen the results of the video yet...if it looks okay, I will put it up on Utube to maybe help a first timer like I was....not much out there for help. I wish Cal had not had his back to the camera and the seat hidden from view what he was doing not counting the terrible lighting.

The interior is not bad but I think the next interior will be better...it is a great improvement over the black dyed orig interior that had splits in both front seats.

Some observations:

Both front seats had broke springs
Broke the tip off of two " Made in America" side cutters cutting hog rings
My cheap fabric spray did not bond hardly anything
Hog ring est of 250 to do the interior was way underestimated
I used 1/8 inch steel rods for the listing...nylon included was a joke
Do not leave the interior in the bags that Clark's ships with for 9 months
The seat covers from Clarks are well made and fit nicely.
The holes in the bottom of the door panels are NOT FOR LA CARS

Jimmy in NC

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First attempt at installing Clarks two tone seat covers
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 05, 2018 09:26AM

I've done a few of the first gen buckets. Yeah you buy hog rings by the box - LOL.

I learned from an upholstery person that adding support wires across the bottom seat springs will firm up the seat. Springs and foam will last longer and vinyl doesn't get stretched as much. I thought the seats might come out too firm, but I like them and folks have told me the seats are comfortable. Glad I listened to the experienced upholstery person.

Date: October 05, 2018 11:28AM

My seat frames came with two burlap covers on the front and back. The bottom burlap is about the size of the off white inserts showing in the photo. This burlap has very small wires the width of the burlap, I left these intact as they were in good shape then added new burlap over them and cut slits in the new to get to the listing wire after fastening it to the seat frame. I think they help distribute the weight on the front and back part of the seat. I also had some left over drapery rod cord and I tied both bottom springs to help give more support as you did...none on the back. I think your idea of wire would be more support...may try that on the 64 conv when I do that one. I think the 64 dr side bottom has about every spring in it broke...it looks like someone set a 300 pound watermelon in the seat and left it there for 50 years ...LOL

My Corvair has a new car smell to it now...LOL

It will take a while to relax the seat covers...it was creased really bad on the very top of the back part of the seat from leaving it in the bags for 9 months.

Tackling the arm rests today. The car is going to a big car show early tomorrow. It is all 180 degree mountain curves...its so curvy, no large trucks are allowed on the road. It takes about an hour or little more to get there and if you get behind a SC or Fl car, about 30 min more. For the 1st time in 3 years I hope I don't have to judge the show this year.

For my first time covering the seats...I feel good about how they look. On the 12th and 13th we have our " Vairs in the Valley car show" and I will take the back seat covers and see if anyone would like them as they are in good shape and look nice but have been spray dyed black...okay lunch over....later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 11:31AM by red monza.

Date: October 05, 2018 03:55PM

Those seats do look good. Nice job.

Using a good cord to connect the lower springs is fine with proper knots. If you use wire it has to be the paper covered wire and you need an upholstery clamp with an adheasive liner to keep from moving along the wire.

Now you have to two tone the steering wheel so the upper and lower wheel rim is white like the seat inserts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 03:57PM by 66vairman.

Attachments:
Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: October 05, 2018 04:03PM

Seats look Great!!thumbs upthumbs up

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: October 05, 2018 06:49PM

They look great. Congrats!

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Corvairs in two states of the Union and varying states of disarray.

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Posted by: ranger372 ()
Date: October 05, 2018 06:52PM

Really do like the look!!!smileys with beer

Date: October 05, 2018 07:01PM

Okay Mr. 66Vairman....your idea to paint the steering wheel two tone put ulcers in my stomach after working on this interior for over a month counting painting the whole thing...I have looked, pocked, dodged cut hog rings...some got me, pulled, needed 3-4 band aids daily, cut hog rings 5-6 times each after doing something wrong...and that was just in the one spot needed and now you want me spend more time with that interior....you must not like me...LOL ( great idea however..thanks)

Chris....thank you for the compliment. It is appreciated. The photo looks like Aqua with white but it off white...will have a talk with the color balance folks....opps that's me.

Jimmy in Asheville... where you now see more out of state cars than NC cars...the other day I followed a car from Hawaii...two cars up in the right lane was Ca and Iowa.

Thank you so much also Darrin and ranger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 07:05PM by red monza.

Date: October 05, 2018 07:41PM

Looking good Jimmy. I like the white piping to blend in with the panels pretty Sharp.
Hope you get all the jewelry on before the show. And yes two tone that steering wheel just like GM did.

Pictures at the exhibition?

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Freeman ()
Date: October 05, 2018 10:50PM

They look as good or better than my professionally done seats. It's going to feel really good providing an answer when folks ask "who did your interior". 😎

Congratulations!

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Date: October 06, 2018 08:58AM

Redmonza - Yes I usually buy a couple boxes of band aids when I re-upholster a seat - LOL. After awhile you'll forget how hard the seats were to do and think "that wasn't so bad" and want to find another "project".

My steering wheel had some small cracks and one thing lead to another. Maybe next year you'll want to two tone the steering wheel. Yeah it's a lot of work to refurbish a steering wheel, but not as bad as recovering a seat. PM when you are ready and I'll give you some tips and paint to use. A two part base/clear is the best way to go.

Date: October 06, 2018 04:54PM

Sounds good 66vairman....it might be a black/and tan wheel however...next up is my 64 conv....it is tan on black seats...LOL...need to sell it in spring.

This 64 is one nice driving and riding and running car...the previous owner of 17 years up in Tn told me it rides and handles the best of any corvair he has owned....I agree. Body work is about 50% done as to rust repair....rockers and floor are in good shape...just a touch of rust in the floors only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 04:58PM by red monza.

Attachments:

Posted by: nscrdv ()
Date: October 11, 2018 05:08AM

I’m about to pull the trigger on my upholstery order. What other parts should I order “just in case”? I’m redoing a 62 Monza 4-door with bucket seats from a different vehicle. Drivers seat cushion is filled with towels instead of the buns but the springs still feel firm and it’s surprisingly comfortable but ratty.

This is what I currently have in the shopping cart:

C10805 BUCKET SEAT CUSHION SET-60-66 LF OR RT (x2)
C4879 HOG RING PLIERS
C4880X HOG RING CLIPS-SET OF 500
C7512 CARDBOARD-62-64 BUCKET-SOLD EA (x2)
C1748 SEAT PIVOT CAP 60-66-ORIGINAL ROUND (don’t know where these go)
C4883 RETAINER-SEAT PIVOT-SET 2
C4317 SCREW-60-64 SEAT BUMPER-SET 4-ALSO FC
C4377 60-64 SEAT BUMPER-EXCELLENT REPRODUCTION (x4)

I’ll start a fresh post of my own with pictures of the current conditions, but thought it would be good to ask you what if anything you would suggest since this is still pretty fresh on your mind.

Date: October 11, 2018 06:40AM

First of all, I am not familiar with a 4 door and its needs....but your list looks good.

The most important thing I see missing is a side cutter for cutting off the old hog rings...I used an old cutter I had and my hands were wore out in an hour as I had to use both hands to cut them and most of the time I had to just wiggle them and then just pull them out whole. I went and bought a well known tool name side cutter and I chipped the tip off after about cutting 100 rings.Took it back to Lowes and bought a $38.00 one (also made in America)...it chipped the end off after about 5-6 hog rings. Went back and bought another of the first kind and decided if they broke, I would just grind down the other side and try again...then I said the most time consuming thing was removing the old hog rings....so I got on line and ordered a side cutter from Germany for the 64 interior I will do later...so far so good...both are working fine. PM me for brands.

I also bought some burlap at a foam and fabric place...enough to cover both seats. I think you will find some springs broke...especially in the driver seat. I used a 69 cent metal clamp( the smallest size) from Lowes to clamp the broken springs. I also bought some 99 cent adhesive backed foam sheets from the childs dept at JoAnn's...about 5 sheets will do the back of the back seats making a nice cover and slick surface to slide the cover on....I also bought some silicone spray to help the back cover slide on easier. I used some old drapery cord to tie the springs together to give a firmer seat and to distribute some of the pressure more evenly. The seat had some old but still good very firm foam that I stuffed into the driver seat and used some new foam in the bottom of the seat to quieten down the springs and protect them from other springs.

Okay...time to go downstairs and polish a little on my 66 to take to the " Vairs in the Valley" show this weekend. PM me for other info needed if you like.

I used lots of different cable ties. 40# 8 inch ones for holding the new burlap over the old good shape special wired burlap. I used 120# commerical grade 8 inch to hold the seat cover from Clarks to the frame and seat listing wire vs hog rings and I used ties to pull the seat covers to the desired attachment point and long heavy duty long ties to compress the seat back before installing the Clarks cover.

I am in the process of producing video's of both the bottom and back bucket seat covering method I used. I made them for ME personally but I think they would help other Corvair/Chevelle/Impala mid and earlier 60's bucket seat upholstery. The quality is lacking as to being great video's but I was at one time listed in Who's Who in American Imaging for still photography.One of 1400 in the world. These video's are my first attempt at a how to. One guy has produced a good video on putting the cover on a 65 GTO/Lemans seat back, I suggest you watch that one for sure. While Clarks has a series of video's on the seat bottom, might watch that also even though the quality is terrible and it was meant for the audience of about 15 folks and the video caters to them as "see". Hard to see thru Cal as his back is between the camera and the seat as to what he is doing.

Jimmy in NC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.