Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: 429 Ford stuck rings?
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 23, 2018 02:23PM

Got it stripped down to the point of removing the intake and the distributor is stuck in the block. I soaked it with Sea Foam. We'll see how that works.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 23, 2018 02:37PM

Yup... that's a 460 phenominum!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 23, 2018 02:39PM

Thin liquid.... seals anything! blocks / cylinder walls heads... you name it.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 15, 2018 02:57PM

After a few weeks of soaking with Deep Creep the distributor came out fairly easily. About 3/8" of the intake gasket was sucked in on one cylinder which accounts for some of the oil burning but not the water in the oil. One pushrod was bent which isn't a good sign so I took that head off. The valve had hit the piston because the piston is no longer connected to the crank. Bummer. Broke the whole side out of that cylinder. At least I know where the water came from.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 16, 2018 01:33PM

I'm guessing this 429 will not be revived?

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: December 16, 2018 04:25PM

Haven't decided yet. I may pull the pan to see what is going on. I guess if the piston just broke I could sleeve it and patch it up. If I could find a known good engine at a reasonable price I would do that. There is a local junk yard with a '78 Lincoln 460 for $550. I think it's out of the vehicle so no telling how many miles or what condition it's in.

Date: December 18, 2018 08:37PM

I found an 83 Ford F250 on CL with a supposed 61K 460 but it's an automatic. From what I understand my 429 is internally balanced and 460s went to external balance around '79-'80. The harmonic balancer is supposedly the same but has a weight on the crank behind it so that end should be fine. The problem is going to be the flywheel since mine is a manual transmission. I'm guessing the flywheel needs to be for the externally balanced engine or does it have a separate weight like the front? If I need a flywheel where would I look for one?

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.