Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Need help with FC wing windows
Posted by: persh ()
Date: September 30, 2018 06:25AM

I recently replaced the weatherstrips in the wing windows of my Greenbrier with a new set from Clark's. I must have tweaked something because now both windows are now cocked almost exactly the same. The top of the window needs to be moved forward and the bottom of the window needs to go to the rear.

I'm hesitant to start bending and twisting things without some advise of the experts here on the forum. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Van

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2018 06:26AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help with FC wing windows
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 30, 2018 08:52AM

Its hard to tell without being able to feel and see from all angles, but compared to my FC vent window, your hinge is not as deep into the door as mine. The position of the bottom of the glass looks about right from here. Have you tried to push forward on the top of the glass to either move the hinge deeper or bend it? Is the post possibly too far forward at the top?

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2018 08:57AM by Brizo.

Posted by: ac1948 ()
Date: September 30, 2018 11:39AM

I feel your pain. I have done 3 sets and have the same results on all 3.

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

63 Greenbrier, PG, 110

64 Rampside, 110, 4 speed

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: September 30, 2018 07:17PM

I had same problem on the first vent window I did on my rampside.
On the second one, I figured out the problem. If you look at the original runner channel where the rivets go; the area facing vent window has raised area.

When I assemebled the 2nd vent window I installed an 1/8" thick waaher between the channel and vent window outer frame. Problem solved.

Marco
Sun Valley Ca 91352

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2018 07:51PM by MattNall.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 01, 2018 08:30AM

The vent window frame will flex when installed.
I have found that even tho the window fits perfectly when its out and when I have replaced the seals... it flex's some when installed.
The window channel on the door has the metal bridges where the mounting screws go. These collapse to help align the frame when all was installed new.
I had to pry up these tin bridges back up. Also shimming like Marco mentioned will help.
On one unit I had to slightly and "carefully" bend the pivot hinge on the top front of the wing window to get it to close properly.

Corventure Dave

Date: October 06, 2018 08:22AM

Thanks for you responses. My windows were the same before I installed them in the doors. I was hoping that some of the flexing that Dave mentioned would work in my favor....no luck. I would love to try the 1/8" washer fix that Marco used but I'm not visualizing where the washer is to go. Any chance of getting a sketch or photo that could help me get a better vision?

Thanks,
Van

Date: October 09, 2018 03:22PM

Just a little update. I removed both wing window assemblies and torqued things around a little and got the the windows seated into the rubber and closed them tight with the latches. I then reinstalled them and will put a little sticky note on each window threatening the death penalty to anyone who ever opens them!

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 09, 2018 03:33PM

I would figure out how to fix them. The wing windows really work great for air flow. You don't need A/C as much as you do without them.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 09, 2018 03:58PM

Good job. smileys with beer Let them set in for several months. The gasket will give and take a set. There may be a bit more tweeking later, but these wing windows, tho a challenge, with patience can be made to fit the new gaskets.

The door gaskets are similar. They take a while to set and also have the doors align and open-close properly.

I always wondered how the factory did these fittings. Like convertible tops. There seems to be no easy install.

Corventure Dave

Date: October 12, 2018 05:18PM

As I've been assembling all the rubber on this 'Brier, I wonder the same thing: how did they build these things at the factory and still have happy customer? There had to have been some pretty cool tricks that they used on the assembly line. I suspect that the tricked weren't documented and have long since died with the assembly line personnel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.