Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Turbo Ignition Timing - a programmable module
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: March 15, 2019 05:15PM

smiling bouncing smiley smileys with beer

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 16, 2019 10:37AM

The new distributor I now supply has a direct magnetic pulse output, no electronics inside. It has an easy way to lockout the advance, (if you wish) and has a special 2-piece rotor available (from MSD) that allows to you adjust/correct any phasing issues.The magnetic output can directly drive an MSD, a Safeguard or the CB programmable box. The cap is also slightly larger than the stock Corvair, providing a bit more spacing between terminals. It uses the standard Corvair Plug wires.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: March 16, 2019 07:05PM

kmart356 Wrote:
> Next step is setting the rotor phasing to 24* BTDC as recommended by CB Performance.

Set the rotor phasing on Ted's EFI Distributor (set screw on reluctor) and then verified baseline timing again using the Black Box forced timing feature. Rotor phasing confirm at both 24* and also 32*.

Checked timing drift and adjusted the VR Input Delay setting to compensate so timing is roc solid from 1000rpm on up. All systems go for test runs this weekend.

Ken
'62 Spyder Coupe
Florida

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: March 18, 2019 05:48AM

Rotor Phasing details specific to the Black Box

- If you are using a points or Pertronix based distributor that has been modified for locked timing, rotor phase is fixed, move along … nothing to see here.eye rolling smiley
- If you are using a reluctor/magnetic trigger based distributor that allows you to change the orientation of the rotor vs trigger position, this is a good read for you.
Get In Phase: How To Set Rotor Phasing On Several Different Engine Configurations

This is a key point made in the article. In most naturally aspirated applications, 30 degrees BTDC is a good average rotor phase number. In a high boost or other application where lower timing is employed, 20 – 25 degrees BTDC may be more appropriate.

The CB Performance Black Box uses 0* TDC as the “reference angle” for our 6cyl engines. With 0* TDC, point rotor at #1 and set the reluctor/trigger so they are aligned. The tech guys at CB recommended I use 24* to set/confirm rotor phase and VR Delay. There is hidden pop-up (accessed by typing "tool" anywhere inside the dashboard) that allows you to force timing to a selected value. Confirm rotor position with a timing light to strobe while peering down inside that hole in distributor cap. Once rotor phase is set, rev the engine from idle up to approx. 3500rpm to check for timing drift. If timing creeps/advances a few degrees then use the VR Delay setting to trim it out.

Ken
'62 Spyder Coupe
Florida

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 05:50AM by kmart356.

Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.