Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
IT LIVES!!! eye popping smileyhot smileysmileys with beer
Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: September 13, 2018 07:28PM

The "Red Baron" (Dale's Experiment!) is up and running!

When I started this 5 months ago I never thought it would take this long. Every time I started working on one item I found something else that should be fixed while I was there!!! eye rolling smiley

So I have fixed the Heater system, repaired the Main Wiring harness,installed my Custom Display Panel and fixed a few other PO goofs, and installed a lot of LED'S.

I was able to do a test drive around the neighborhood tonight and I am ready for the 3rd Annual Hoosier Corvair Classic!

It is,version 1 so it is not pretty but I can show off the Dakota Digital custom Display and my LED'S!

Redoing the internal carpet, door panels and seats are next on list.

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IT LIVES!!! eye popping smileyhot smileysmileys with beer
Posted by: veverlove ()
Date: September 13, 2018 07:43PM

No pics, it didn't happen. GGG Driving is the best payoff. Congrats!

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 13, 2018 07:47PM

thumbs upthumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 13, 2018 07:58PM

Bet you don't "start" any project next Summer! You da man!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Re: IT LIVES!!!
Date: September 13, 2018 09:49PM

Excellent! Great to feel the satisfaction of a job, well, DONE!

Looking forward to your photos from the show. thumbs up

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: September 14, 2018 03:17AM

Congrats! Great feeling to have. smileys with beer

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: September 17, 2018 10:56AM

The Red Baron ran well this weekend and we had a great Hoosier Corvair Classic event! If you missed it, shame on you!!!

I want to point out that the main thing I wanted to demonstrate was the new "Custom 3-Hole Dash Display" that I got from the folks at Dakota Digital.

This is a really nice unit and looks so much like stock if you are not familiar with the original dash you would think it was stock. It uses Analog Gauges (moving needles just like the original) driven from a Digital Control Box.

I have the Control Box and their GPS Speedometer Box mounted under the rear window. A Cat6 Cable goes from the Control Box to the Display. I am using the GPS Speed sensor so I could remove the "Left Front Wheel Cable" completely.

I now have a Speedometer/LCD Readout in the Left opening, a Tach/LCD Readout in the Center opening and a 4 Gauge setup in the Right opening.

The 4 Gauge setup shows Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Battery Voltage and Fuel Level.

The LCD Readout in the Speedometer shows the Odometer in normal mode. The one in the Tach shows Time of Day in the normal mode.

Using the Setup Switch you can switch to other readouts in the LCD's.

The LCD Readout in the Speedometer will also show errors the system detects. I have the system programmed so it thinks any Oil Pressure below 10 PSI is bad. I found that the Pressure drops as the oil warms up, and I start at 40 PSI when the engine is cold. As it warms up the pressure drops until I show about 25 PSI while driving normally. When it is fully warmed up the pressure drops a lot when idling at a Stop Light. When the pressure drops below 10 PSI the Odometer switches to Oil Pressure readings. As I drove the car to and from the show I would see the idle pressure slowly drop. The first thing I saw was a reading of "09" Oil PSI!

The lowest it ever got was "07" Oil PSI. The Corvair OP Snap Switch never operated (I understand it is set for 5 PSI) and the Over Temp Snap Switch never operated so this seemed to be "Normal" operation. Without the new Display I would never have known about Oil Pressure!

ANYWAY, I highly recommend getting this setup from Dakota Digital! It seems I am the first person to ask them for this type of Display, so now that I have the 'arrows in the back' they will probably be able to sell them for less than I paid. These are perfect for the common LM 3-hole Dash. Mine is in a PG Dash, it will fit a non-PG Dash as well.

Once I recover from the weekend I will post a separate Subject, with pictures on the installation and layout of the system.

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.