Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Distributor Problems (I think)
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 13, 2018 10:31AM

Sadly He's moved on to other things...

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 13, 2018 10:59AM

Oh. Does he have a eight year old son yet who can help out?

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 11:02AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 13, 2018 12:00PM

Sadly no....just two great girls

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Attachments:
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 14, 2018 05:59AM

If I was convinced there was trouble with the distributor I would just remove it to the bench instead of bending over into the engine compartment to work on it but that's just me. I have notched aluminum jaw inserts for the vise to hold it in a convenient position with good light.
I used to be more tentative at removing it when I wasn't so sure about getting it back in properly. If it doesn't have smog belt, I like to clock it so the vacuum advance bracket is parallel to the rear frame member. You have to move the oil pump slot with a long screwdriver sometimes. But I digress...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: bnoggle ()
Date: September 14, 2018 04:31PM

Thanks for all the replies. Today I took a look at the points, cleaned, and re-gapped them. There was no improvement so I removed the distributor and found that the shims, and retainer had both broken off the distributor shaft. This seems to have allowed the distributor shaft to wobble and destroy the bushing allowing oil to go up the distributor shaft. I stopped by the Corvair Ranch and picked up a rebuilt distributor housing with a good bushing, shims, cap, rotor, and a new gasket. I transferred the old points plate, points, and condenser to the rebuilt distributor housing. I put the new distributor on, aligned the notch in the housing with the notch on the block, and cranked it over. I still have no spark but I think it could just be a timing issue. I will time it tomorrow and see what I get. If anyone has any suggestions about how to time it to let me know. I have never set the timing on a corvair before.

Carlisle Pennsylvania
--
1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: September 14, 2018 04:58PM

Setting the timing is the same as any other car, here a good procedure to set Static timing for the initial startup. Using this method the car should start up right away assuming you have fuel and a good coil.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 14, 2018 04:59PM

It's not simple ignition timing. You need to time the distributor to the crank. Not just align the hash marks. It's explained here.
[autoxer.skiblack.com]

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 18, 2018 03:33PM

He said no spark. Timing doesn't have anything to do with spark/no spark.

Date: September 18, 2018 04:28PM

I ordered a new coil yesterday. It should arrive sometime tomorrow, and I plan on installing it tomorrow evening.

Carlisle Pennsylvania
--
1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Date: September 23, 2018 02:37PM

I spent most of yesterday and all of today working on this distributor issue. I have 12 volts on the positive side of the coil which fluctuates when you turn over the engine as it should. I pulled the coil wire out of the distributor and put a spark plug into the end of it. When I turn over the engine that way I get a good spark. Next, I pulled spark plug wire 1 and put the same spark plug in it, and I got no spark when turning it over. I have checked and found dwell to be 34. I then cranked it over until I felt pressure in cylinder 1. I rotated the pully by hand until TDC was at 4 degrees. I set the distributor so this would be the firing position of spark plug 1. With plug wire 1 off and on the same spare spark plug I tested again and still do not have any spark. Today I repeated the same process. Why do I not have any spark to the plugs, but there is spark to the distributor?

Carlisle Pennsylvania
--
1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Date: September 23, 2018 02:37PM

I spent most of yesterday and all of today working on this distributor issue. I have 12 volts on the positive side of the coil which fluctuates when you turn over the engine as it should. I pulled the coil wire out of the distributor and put a spark plug into the end of it. When I turn over the engine that way I get a good spark. Next, I pulled spark plug wire 1 and put the same spark plug in it, and I got no spark when turning it over. I have checked and found dwell to be 34. I then cranked it over until I felt pressure in cylinder 1. I rotated the pully by hand until TDC was at 4 degrees. I set the distributor so this would be the firing position of spark plug 1. With plug wire 1 off and on the same spare spark plug I tested again and still do not have any spark. Today I repeated the same process. Why do I not have any spark to the plugs, but there is spark to the distributor?

Carlisle Pennsylvania
--
1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Posted by: idiyaught ()
Date: September 23, 2018 03:23PM

does the center of the cap have the carbon burn't away?
or the tab on top of the rotor got bent down and does not touch the carbon

John Oostdyk
Thornhill, Ont
63 Rampy
65 Greenbrier
64 Convertible

Date: September 23, 2018 03:31PM

The cap is new, and the carbon looks good. I can't say for sure if the cap and rotor are touching, but there is a mark on the center of the rotor spring that looks like they are rubbing together.

Carlisle Pennsylvania
--
1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 23, 2018 04:08PM

Since you have good spark from the coil the only things it could be are the cap, rotor or plug wire.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 23, 2018 05:17PM

Is the spark shorting through the rotor plastic to the shaft? is there a burn area up inside the rotor? Is it a Delco rotor or a replacement? I've seen this happen several times.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.