Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Car storage options?
Posted by: Demon-Xanth ()
Date: September 12, 2018 07:14AM

We're doing a lot of work on the inside of our house, so putting my car in the garage isn't going to be an option this winter, has anyone had a car stored, and if so what were the costs and arrangements?

'61 Monza 900, 3 speed. Roams the streets of soon to be Stafford, Va
Cars need to drive to be alive. One that never leaves the garage may be perfect, but dead.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car storage options?
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 12, 2018 07:40AM

Around here in my area in Georgia a non climate controlled 10x20 inside space is around $150-200/mo. I just rented one for furniture storage during remodel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 12, 2018 08:06AM

A couple of choices come to mind. First is find a friend with an extra stall in their garage at home and rent the other bay. Park the car as far away from their doors as possible and if the garage is attached to their home just unhook the battery/cover the car and walk away until spring (with an occasional visit as outlined below). Probably less rent money per month too.

Second is using one of the public storage facilities. Cost is more/mice may be present/temps change. Check security in the place too. You get to do more prep too, Fill tank/extra air in tires/unhook or remove battery/rodent repellant and still a cover. Also check for liquids left under seats etc. Water/soda can freeze and then break containers making messes on carpet/seats.

One other thought is that if possible with either of my suggestions is try to take the car for a short drive every month when street conditions allow. Fill tank before hiding it again. DO NOT just start up the engine and let run for 20 minutes, the car needs to be moved and engine/transaxle/bearings need to be actually warmed up to operating temps.

NOTE: above is only my opinions as always, good luck.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 12, 2018 08:24AM

Helpful tip:

If you regularly store your car anywhere but on your own property, be sure to contact your insurance agent and make sure your loss coverage is not excluded.

I've stored cars at local rental locker places for $100-$140 a month depending on local deals. I would choose that option over using a friend's garage. A mystery dent or ding that shows up while in their possession can lead to a ruined friendship. I don't have any friends with garages that are empty enough to fit a car. Maybe I run with the wrong crowd. grinning smiley

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Date: September 12, 2018 09:07AM

Thanks Dave, if I could edit my post above now I would remove the 'friend' idea.

Your insurance point is well taken, I made a presumption that the OP would visit with his agent.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: September 12, 2018 11:26AM

Finding garage space here in west central Florida is impossible. U-Store places are outrageous in price. I have a buddy I've known over 30 years who has a 30+ classic car collection stored in the biggest "garage" I've ever seen. When asked if I could pay for a tiny space out of the way he said a flat no. Guess he's not really a good buddy after all LOL EddieB Dade City,Fl

Date: September 12, 2018 11:32AM

Eddie after reading my reply about using a friends garage and then azdave comment about possibly losing a friend over my idea I might suggest he values your friendship a lot and doesn't want to take a chance with your car.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 12, 2018 11:33AM

Or maybe he wants to stay a buddy and not be responsible for your car.
You could just get to know Jay Leno. I'll bet he has some space somewhere.

Posted by: hardcase ()
Date: September 12, 2018 12:02PM

What about driveway parking with a quality cover? That's how I park my Corvair and '61 Dodge D100. A good cover costs around $300 and will protect from most any weather condition.

It won't protect from criminals or other vermin, though.

Date: September 12, 2018 12:08PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or maybe he wants to stay a buddy and not be
> responsible for your car.

Steve sez:
That is what I said above your reply, he values your
friendship and doesn't want to take a chance with your
car.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 12, 2018 12:27PM

Yours wasn't there when I wrote mine. I just didn't type fast enough I guess.

Date: September 12, 2018 12:34PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
.Yours wasn't there when I wrote mine. I just
> didn't type fast enough I guess.

----------------------------------------------

I beat you by a minute. my time 1132 yours 1133.

I went back to read mine after seeing yours, thought
maybe I had made a typing error. No big deal

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: 1bad67 ()
Date: September 12, 2018 03:02PM

Last winter we rented two garages at a local (actually a small town a few miles away) apartment complex. They rent out extra garages at a pretty reasonable rate compared to storage places here. (Portland, Oregon)

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 13, 2018 03:16AM

I use the local fairground, and one car goes in the cattle barn, the other in the poultry building. It costs $25 per foot for the winter. Put it in storage in October and take it out in April. They pack them in like sardines, and once in, the building is locked, and the grounds are secure. Insurance covers the cars in storage, and the only thing that I ever worry about is a fire being set. They have never had one, but it is still a concern. They store cars, trucks, boats, trailers, and RV's. Last year I lucked out, storing one car at a friends garage, and 2 at another friends garage. Also had the engine out of the BelAir, so the garage that was doing the work stored the car for me. This year, I hope to have them all at home....
I put whole cloves into the cars to keep the mice out, and it works well. 4 bottles to a Corvair interior, and one in the trunk, and nothing in the engine. Make sure that the air doors are closed, and put steel wool into the exhaust pipe. That and all the other suggestions about battery, etc..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 13, 2018 05:01AM

Where you located?

Can you put up a Harbor Freight 17 foot soft garage on your land? If you can, make sure to lay a tarp down first to keep ground moisture away and put 2 x 8 runners on tarp for tires to run up on. Then put a 18" high solid plastic fence around it to keep mice away from it.

I keep my 2 anchored down with dog chain, turn buckles and 18" ground anchors at all 4 corners. Good for 25 knot winds. With hurricane winds, I have heavy duty ratchet straps over the tubes on the corners and attached to lawnmowers and other heavy items in on3 carport. The other has heavy duty logging chains wrapped around a concrete block with a deck block sitting on top of it. I think both should hold, but if not insurance will cover them.

[www.harborfreight.com]

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 05:08AM by Lane66m.

Attachments:
Posted by: Demon-Xanth ()
Date: September 17, 2018 06:22AM

I've been looking into canopies and storage, a canopy might work, though I'd need to get a 16' wide one to cover the width of the driveway as I'd have a car parked beside it. The snow load concerns me though, does anyone have an experience with these over the winter? I really don't want to spend more storing the car than the car is actually worth. My car isn't terrible, but it's far from a show car and has heavy wear and tear at this point, especially as the paint is well and gone. It runs and drives well now though.

'61 Monza 900, 3 speed. Roams the streets of soon to be Stafford, Va
Cars need to drive to be alive. One that never leaves the garage may be perfect, but dead.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 17, 2018 02:59PM

I do not know the "Snow Load", or if they are even rated for a slight amount of snow at all.
BUT, I have seen people do their own re-enforcing of those portable canopies!
How much snow do you get in a single night?
You could just make it a daily habit to go knock the snow off.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: September 17, 2018 05:54PM

[fredericksburg.craigslist.org]

Here is a storage building for rent in Fredericksburg, no electricity, no insulation for what appears to be $250.00 per month. and large enough for several vehicles.

Check your PM's, I'm forwarding contact information if this is of interest.
This is NOT mine and I have no association with it in any way.
It does appear to have a concrete floor too.thumbs up

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2018 05:57PM by Caraholic4life.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.