Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Problems on The Drive From "Ageless To Anarchy," Still Need Advice.
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 10, 2018 12:28AM

Hey all,

Saturday was my first Corvair Car Show in a good seven years, and I had a blast! Well worth the drive down from Porterville, CA to attend it in El Segundo, CA. You'll see my "Bluvair" in some of the pictures posted by others, and I have also updated my signature.

I towed it on an all-fours trailer for most of the way, only because I didn't trust my car's long distance prospects. Around here, I have gone as far as the 25 miles (and back) to a base-of-the-Sierras town called Springville, and the 80-mile round trip to Visalia, in the valley.

I have always had power trouble after the car gets warm. You've read my reports where I wondered if I was overheating, had a bad choke, needed to get around to changing the ritard on my distributor, and the like. My most recent discussion on the topic was here.

I chose a hotel purposefully about ten minutes away from the venue, just so I could drive it in, and also because that was about as far as I was confident of driving.

It turns out my concerns were, again, justified. While the drive into the Automobile Museum was a back-street-breeze, that was not the case later. When I went to leave--followed, fortuitously, by some fellow Central Coast Corsa members who generously agreed to help me re-load my vehicle on the trailer--I tried to take the freeway and began to sputter in a way similar (and yet sooner) to what has happened in the past.

I got off the freeway to avoid a nasty traffic jam, if it came to that, and about a mile from my hotel the car completely gave out. We went and retrieved my trailer and just loaded the car where it lay. FWIW, it started again and drove up the ramp.

The consensus from the knowledgeable folks who were with me is that I definitely have a "gas problem." In other words, my YH carb is flooding or not working at all. I have had some great advice and brainstormers helping me in the discussion linked above, and here is a new twist: It is a 64 carb, as it turns out, without the extra tube (fuel return) that might help in this situation. I am still doubtful if it is working at all, as I have mentioned before that I can discern no real thrust, like ever.

I learned some tricks to testing the vac advance gauge on Saturday, and will get to that first, in order to see where/what I can trust more clearly. But as the car still isn't all-the-way road worthy, ideas and experience from you folks will continue to help. Thanks!

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA
- Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County & South Coast CORSA Los Angeles California Chapters. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems on The Drive From "Ageless To Anarchy," Still Need Advice.
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 10, 2018 07:06AM

When the engine started to drive on the trailer... Did it blow BLACK smoke?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 10, 2018 02:49PM

Hmm, it blew smoke, but it was white.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA
- Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County & South Coast CORSA Los Angeles California Chapters. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Date: September 10, 2018 02:49PM

Also, I have tested the vacuum line. I have suction, it is definitely the gauge itself. I have also pulled back my fuel pressure from a 3 to barely 2. More reports to come.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 02:53PM by playerpage.

Posted by: swingboyla ()
Date: September 10, 2018 03:49PM

I'm 99% sure your problem is too much fuel pressure and / or weak or bad float needle on the YH. Your symptoms are exactly what I experience on my 1965 Turbo Corsa ( my first Corvair -- I was a Corvair Virgin then). It would drive reasonably around the city but get up to highway speeds for any distance or on the freeway and it would sputter, spit, and die. Every time this happened I could smell a strong smell of fuel and several times actually looking into the carb throat I could see it was full of fuel, even to the point of dripping down onto the engine shrouding.

I also was able to determine that fuel was being forced through the pressure relief vent that goes into the carb throat and there is a mod to route the vent back into the float bowl cover.

Every time this happened waiting a while until the fuel evaporated out of the YH throat allowed it to start right up. Sounds just like what's happening to you.

I swapped out the mechanical fuel pump several times, tried tricks like cutting the fuel pump spring to lower the pressure, put on a fuel pressure regulator and gauge -- all with varying degrees of success but all failing again at some point.

The fix was to install an electric, low pressure, fuel pump -- the one Clark's sells -- forgot which but think its the Airtex E8016S which puts out 2.5 - 4.0 psi -- is self regulated -- and 30 GPH and to fix the previous owners "fix" for a leaking fuel return -- he had just removed the neoprene return hose and capped off the steel return line! So there was no fuel pressure relief from the special turbo fuel filter in the engine compartment.

Before that I had gone through a whole pile of new replacement mechanical fuel pumps all of which tested at different psi output and all too high -- the range over the course of about 5 pumps was 5-9 psi to as high as 14 psi -- all the same brand purchased new from Autozone. I also put in a pressure gauge and Holly style pressure regulator but that really did not work for me. I see that Clark's sells a small Purolator fuel pressure regulator that might work but I've not tested it. I had to rebuild the YH anyway so put in a new needle valve. There is an improved version of the needle valve -- a ball type valve -- that is supposed to be better and resist over pressure leakage but I did not have to use it or try it.

Your 64 should have the same fuel return line and special fuel filter with the pressure relief outlet that takes a piece of fuel line to connect to a steel return line going to the tank. I don't know EM at all but a quick look at the docs shows 63-64 Spyder seems to have the same fuel return as the 65-66 Turbo Corsa. Look under the tank just behind the front suspension, along the body cross member for a small steel line and see if someone hasn't capped it off just like they did on my Corsa.

Since we put in the electric pump, a new turbo fuel filter with pressure return, fixed the return line to empty correctly into the tank filler hose I have not had a single recurrence of this problem. I drove my Corsa a lot with the YH but ultimately I did replace the YH for a different carb but that was for improved performance as I was never very happy with the YH.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Los Angeles CA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.