Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Need Math and Geometry Help...
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: September 10, 2018 06:08AM

Something like this will allow me to build in stages.

However, with my design the face or front wall with the garage doors will not run all the way across on the same line.
The front wall of the side units or lean-tos will be set back 8 feet from the center unit.
This will allow me to build the Greenhouse / garden shed unit around the one tree and match that with the other side.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 10, 2018 06:12AM

There is no way for me to build the larger unit now with the funds I have.
The rafters will cost much more for the larger unit than the single boards needed for the lean-to.
As it is, it will be cutting it close to do the lean-to.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: September 10, 2018 07:44AM

I think it will work out fine. I would definitely put up the poles for the large building on that one side then build your lean-to against those poles. When it comes time for the large building you only will have to set the other side's poles and build the large building normally except you'll have one firm wall to work with. At that time you can finish out the top of the siding above the garage roofline, the siding will extend slightly over the roofing and work great. Get to it, I'm ready for photos.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: September 19, 2018 07:21PM

I built something like this before using two shipping containers for the side garages, and then built trusses to bridge across them and shape the middle garage. It wasn't pretty, but it was done in two days. The ISO containers are only 8 feet wide, but it could be done with 40 foot long containers (I used 20 foot containers). It was very secure to lock up as well. I'm just tossing this out there as an idea if someone wanted to build a quick-n-dirty garage/shop.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: September 20, 2018 04:49AM

I had thought about containers as well. Place two side by side, cut out the adjacent walls put a garage door on the end, roof it over and you now have a 16x40 building.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: September 20, 2018 05:19AM

moomba32 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had thought about containers as well. Place two
> side by side, cut out the adjacent walls put a
> garage door on the end, roof it over and you now
> have a 16x40 building.

A lot more than merely cutting out the adjacent walls would have to be done.

You would have to level each container so neither one shifts over time. You would also have to support the joining roof line from front to back where the two containers join and seal the same so it will not leak..

After all that you are stuck with a very low celling height. = NO room for a lift..

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 20, 2018 05:44AM

Containers are fine for storage, JMO.

I have a neighbor who bought 4 8x40x9 containers. He placed them side to side and cut out the sides. Then he put in a 8 foot garage door on one end. Just to work on cars. $8k just for the containers. That money would have been a good investment on a stick built garage. Another 10k and he would have a good garage, using his and his friends help. They were there helping get containers in place and cut out.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 20, 2018 09:35PM

I always thought a container (Conex) would be good for storage. I don't any more. We use them at work for long term storage and they are wood floored, so moisture comes right up into them. Here in Virginia we have humidity. Open one of these containers up after months of being closed and it's like walking into a moldy sauna. Yes, I had to go in several today looking for equipment. angry smiley

In several someone hung those dry packs of silica gel. They look like tube socks on Shrek's legs. Of course, there is no plan in place to replace them when they are full.....angry smiley Who has a budget for that?confused smiley

SO, if you use them for building a shop, just remember to use the shop and open the doors occasionally!thumbs up

Also putting down a moisture barrier before setting the Conex is a very good idea.

I do hear they make steel floor Conexes, buy those!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2018 09:36PM by Frank DuVal.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 21, 2018 05:15PM

I am in the process of installing vents on mine. When I am at the garage, I open up my other 2 buildings and the container just to let fresh air in.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.