Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
MOTOR OIL 63 SPYDER ?
Posted by: FRANK6969 ()
Date: September 09, 2018 09:55AM

Not sure which motor oil change I should use for a 63 Spyder. AMSOIL 10W-30, Brad Penn 10W-40, or some other.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MOTOR OIL 63 SPYDER ?
Posted by: BILLG ()
Date: September 09, 2018 10:00AM

Mr Helms and I checked into this a while ago and agreed on Shell Rotella Synthetic Blend 10W30.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 09, 2018 10:17AM

Brand means little... see our FAQ's for recomendations..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: curt ()
Date: September 10, 2018 05:16AM

Did General Motors recommend a different oil for Spiders than non Spiders?

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 10, 2018 05:43AM

I was converted to 10/30 in Corvairs by Richard1's analysis paper. I still wonder about 15/40 in a fair weather turbo. Is 10/40 too broad of a range?
There's the .0015 crankshaft bearing clearance when cold and then the high temperatures in the turbo housing when hot.
I'll be watching for more discussion.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 10, 2018 06:12AM

10W30 by Blue Print Engines... Has all the right formula for our older engines with flat tappets. Private label oil that is probably made for them by one of the larger oil manufacturers. Can't beat the price or the formula. They build performance engines, and this is what they spec for the engines that they build. I figure that if the oil is good enough for their $12,000 815 HP engine, it will work in my 150 HP Spyder.

Blue Print Engines 10w30 Engine Oil - 1 Quart $6.95 Part # BPP10W30 Flat rate shipping $8.00 for up to 4 cases.

1 QT. Engine oil formulated specifically to meet wear and contaminate concerns associated with high performance engines. Contains zinc and phosphorus, and extends oil film capacity for ultimate protection. BluePrint Engines 10W30 engine oil is designed specifically for use after the initial break-in period of 500 miles, for the remaining life of the engine.

Service Oil

Mineral Oil

10w30

Zinc 1,600ppm

Phosphorous 1,400ppm

Features and Benefits:
Offers film strength and viscosity stability at higher temperatures

Formulated for the protection of pushrod, flat tappet, and roller cam engines

Maintains oil pressure and compression at high temperatures

Provide upper cylinder anti-wear protection

Top choice for engine storage

[blueprintengines.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: September 10, 2018 10:05AM

Thanks for the info on the oil. I see you have quite a few posts, have you got a repair shop for Corvairs?

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: September 10, 2018 10:11AM

I use Brad Penn. I'm sure the Amsoil high zinc type is good too. Main issue is making sure you have high zinc/ZDDP.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 10, 2018 10:12AM

Not quite certain who you are addressing your comment to, but if it is me, no I don't have a Corvair repair shop, however, 45 years ago, I did do general automotive repairs in my own shop. Now, I only repair my own collection of collector cars, and I listen to others experiences and recommendations as to what has changed in the past decades since I got out of the trade. Products do change, and modern technology is forever evolving, sometimes for the better. We also either evolve or adapt, or we stagnate. Learning is a lifetime experience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: September 10, 2018 11:26AM

Thanks Junkman ... I was refering to you. I ended up talking to a guy at Blue Print engines. He was quite convincing about their oil and he was surprised that the other oils were so expensive, except .. that they were synthetic. But, he used Blue print in all his older cars.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.