Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT - Patina Rant!
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 10, 2018 10:05AM

cepak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

. . . . . . So here is the problem. If you go to Texas DMV they state at the bottom of the form that "For Vehicles 25 Years Old or Older TxDMV will determine and assign the bond value, and Appraisals less than $4,000 will not be accepted."

Why would anyone want to go through the hassle? Especially for a car that is worthless.

I am not from there, so I can not say with certainty, but the way I interpret that quote is not that there is NOTHING under a $4000.oo value, but that if you declare a value under $4000.oo they are going to question it and assign their own value, if they feel that you are trying to under value your car.
Am I misinterpreting that, or is the Texas DMV misreading it?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 10, 2018 10:35AM

I say "Minimum" for Any vehicle is $4k $$$$ value tax!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 11, 2018 08:34AM

Does this count as Patina? The custom job exposed at least 3 paint jobs over it's life. The look fully clear coated was unique indeed. I told the owner that this preserves the moment I fondly recall when I have done body and paint jobs...where I start to think..."Cripes...What the hoop am I getting myself into"!

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Date: September 11, 2018 08:38AM

I win!

Attachments:
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 11, 2018 08:40AM

I guess TX doesn't appreciate anyone not paying more in tax than the car is worth. I did a bond here (TX) about a year ago that if I remember correctly was just over $2000. This must be a new tax scam. Didn't I hear something about double taxation? I guess it doesn't count when it's quadruple taxation. How many taxes do our cars have? Tags, tires, batteries, disposal, sales, fuel, tolls... Not to mention the sales tax is charged over and over again on the same vehicle.

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: September 11, 2018 09:39AM

Many years ago I worked on a new at the time Windstar van, painted 7 times from the factory. Crazy!

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: Monza109 ()
Date: September 11, 2018 10:22AM

I agree with Mel. To me "patina" translates to the owner being broke and/or lazy.

Posted by: Nick_Soapdish ()
Date: September 11, 2018 12:19PM

Nobody is safe!

SeattleCraigslist (not mine)

Edit: Exterior notwithstanding, this one is likely pretty solid, at least.

Dylan
'62 95 Panel
Seattle, WA

Wagons and vans, just clap your hands.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 12:21PM by Nick_Soapdish.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 11, 2018 01:10PM

If we are on a rant, my pet peeve (for the last few years) are the:
1. They have never owned a Corvair. But they decided they want to buy a:
66 Corsa Turbo Convert.
Any year Yenko Stinger
A 65 Evening Orchid car
Any Corsa

Their only criteria besides the listed cars is they have be VERY NICE, local, and
CHEAP. I am sure they're only looking to make a quick buck.
That is my (pet peeve) rant. I apologize if you got this far reading this.

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: September 11, 2018 01:18PM

The truth is that nice, well-preserved original cars are the fastest appreciating collector cars on the market today. People who are really into factory stock cars have finally realized the truth in the statement that a car is only original once, and that no matter how expert a restorer is at his art, no one can really duplicate the way the factory assembled and built every car. And in the process of preserving historic value, one has to realize that just in ageing artifacts gain a certain "look" that cannot be duplicated. THAT is patina.

TRUTH

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 11, 2018 01:19PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
> If we are on a rant, my pet peeve (for the last
> few years) are the:
> 1. They have never owned a Corvair. But they
> decided they want to buy a:
> 66 Corsa Turbo Convert.
> Any year Yenko Stinger
> A 65 Evening Orchid car
> Any Corsa
>
> Their only criteria besides the listed cars is
> they have be VERY NICE, local, and
> CHEAP. I am sure they're only looking to make a
> quick buck.

I like it, but would add: Never owned a Corvair, never driven a Corvair, but will offer TONS of advice online on how to fix them.

As far as Patina - if the car shows its age, or battle scars, but is BEING DRIVEN, I have zero problem with it. Most peoples show cars don't leave the garage.

I have a beater Rampside (with patina), that gets driven regularly, and used as a truck, and a beater 66 Autocross Car, and they get more attention than my very nice 65 Sedan, or 66 Convert ever got.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts / Corvair Minnesota / Corvanatics
61 Rampside, 65 4-door/140PG, 66 Monza Vert, 66 AutoX Car, Manx Vair Buggy, Rupp Chevy Jr.

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: September 11, 2018 05:48PM

I'm not broke or lazy and I own two patina'd vehicles that we drive the wheels off. I enjoy watching my wife and kids drive them too. I have found that I can't enjoy a nice car because I'm always worried about it getting scratched, dented, or hit by some jackass in a parking lot. And, crazy as it sounds, I like the look of a well built car with a patina'd body. I know that when my 17 year old daughter takes my car she is bound to park it right next to the cart corral. I never worry about it. You don't have to like it, that's ok, but don't judge my personality or my income by my patina'd car. Now, go on out to the garage and put another coat of wax on that princess out there that gets driven once a month, I'll honk on my way by in mine.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 11, 2018 08:02PM

guthrie1068 Wrote:
> I'm not broke or lazy and I own two patina'd
> vehicles that we drive the wheels off. I enjoy
> watching my wife and kids drive them too. I have
> found that I can't enjoy a nice car because I'm
> always worried about it getting scratched, dented,
> or hit by some jackass in a parking lot. And,
> crazy as it sounds, I like the look of a well
> built car with a patina'd body. I know that when
> my 17 year old daughter takes my car she is bound
> to park it right next to the cart corral. I never
> worry about it. You don't have to like it, that's
> ok, but don't judge my personality or my income by
> my patina'd car. Now, go on out to the garage and
> put another coat of wax on that princess out there
> that gets driven once a month, I'll honk on my way
> by in mine.

grinning smiley thumbs up thumbs up cool smiley
Said it for years.
Would rather enjoy my car daily, than once a month(& only in the summer!)

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: September 11, 2018 08:17PM

When I had my '67 painted... I still park it outside...and yes it got a small scratch the first day!! "My Fault!" eye rolling smiley

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: September 12, 2018 02:00AM

I have a phrase I often use, "I don't want my cars to be too nice to use". Most people look at them and say they look great but they are far from perfect, I'm not concerned with little ones touching them, I encourage it, a few more scratches won't ruin my day, the pleasure comes from peoples smiles.
Chad has my type of car, when I actually take time to vote for people's choice at a shoe, my vote goes for cars that look to me like they are driven, you can tell.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 12, 2018 05:50AM

My buddy has 2 Corvairs with original sort of patina. He says they get way more attention at Car Shows than the shiny ones. It sort of pisses the shiny guys off sometimes.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: September 12, 2018 11:53AM

My car has a well-preserved 25 year old repaint that looks good from about 3 feet. The underside is all original Chicago-area rust patina, except for the replaced front floor pans. I agree with the comments that it's easier to enjoy a car that isn't perfect. I've always said that Corvairs are best enjoyed from the driver's seat. It's a lot of aggravation and effort to keep a car perfect while also enjoying driving it.

I don't agree with never parking by a shopping cart corral. I park next to them whenever possible. People tend to use them whenever they are close by.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 12, 2018 12:01PM

I always park next to one as far away as possible. I agree that people are more likely to use one if it's there. I need the exercise too.

Posted by: hardcase ()
Date: September 12, 2018 12:15PM

The finish is only original once...

Drew D.
Meridian, Idaho
------------------------
1964 PG Monza
1961 Dodge D100
2013 Camaro SS
2013 Honda Civic Hybrid (it offsets the Camaro, right?)

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: September 13, 2018 10:01AM

The finish is only original once...

Drew D.

How right you are. An original finish should last many years, if taken care of. And an original finish will, over time, gather its inevitable share of patina, which cannot be duplicated in any other way. It has "that look" which anyone can spot. Thus a nicely preserved original finish, even though imperfect, with its normal share of patina, helps make an original car worth more than an otherwise equivalent one having a shiny new paint job. "If it looks right, leave it alone" is what I advise people with nice original cars.

And speaking of worth, I battled for years with the Fiero people about certain colors (there were only 8 that the factory offered over its 5 year lifetime) being worth more than others, due to rarity. I maintained that 1.)paint comes out of a can, and that only an original paint job would affect a car's desirability, because after that, a car can be any color. Truth is, in the history of the automobile, NO car has ever been worth more just because of its color. Just look at any recognized value guide, like the NADA book, Black book, Old Cars Price Guide, etc. for proof. And 2.)color is a matter of taste. For example, a "common-as-dirt red" car may be "worth more" to a lot of people than, say, one painted in "rare" lavender. But a lavender car may be worth more than a red one to that rare buyer who is nuts over lavender. In other words, it all balances out overall. Thus, color only affects a car's liquidity, not its worth. Rarity without demand doesn't make for greater worth. Worth is a combination of both.

-Mark

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.