Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A Free Incentive to Join the Corvair Society of America!
Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: September 09, 2018 05:40AM

CLICK HERE TO JOIN!.... TO RENEW!

A Free Incentive to Join the Corvair Society of America!

CORSA is providing a great incentive for new members to join our club. If you have never been a member of CORSA before, this is for you.

Between now and December 31, each new CORSA member will receive a free copy of Corvair Basics - a 190 page technical manual for anyone new to Corvairs or thinking about Corvair ownership. This book is a compendium of articles written by acknowledged experts and covering all aspects of Corvair repair, maintenance and restoration. This is an especially useful resource for anybody who is new to the Corvair hobby. Please allow four weeks for shipping.

We imagine that most of our existing members already have a copy of Corvair Basics, but for those of you who don’t, copies are available for purchase at the CORSA website. Visit www.corvair.org and click on the "Merchandise" link for more information.

Allan Lacki for the CORSA Board
www.corvair.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2018 07:16PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Free Incentive to Join the Corvair Society of America!
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 10, 2018 12:29PM

A great incentive and gift for "new" members indeed. I don't know of any other car venue that offers such a informative guide to mew people joining the hobby. What a great welcome to take advantage of. Remember this offer ends December 31 this year.

thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs upsmileys with beer

Corventue Dave

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 10, 2018 12:51PM

What's the incentive for those who already have the book? Like me. I grabbed up all Corvair knowledge books early on, so I could work on these strange autos.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: September 10, 2018 01:34PM

Thanks Allan! Free bump.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 10, 2018 03:19PM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the incentive for those who already have
> the book? Like me. I grabbed up all Corvair
> knowledge books early on, so I could work on these
> strange autos.

Read closely. This is an incentive for NEW members, until Dec 31.
Please contact your director's if you have any ideas for more incentives... for new and even present members. We're trying to be creative on the BOD.... but lets not break the bank!

Corventure Dave Palmer
Western Director CORSA

Date: September 10, 2018 03:29PM

I did read closely. I have yet to join Corsa. Is that consider a new member, if I have never held a membership card or ever paid dues.

One day I may join, but I am waiting until I have a running Vair instead Group Red Vairs.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: September 10, 2018 04:41PM

Hey Al - I have an idea! There are people who really want that "Corvair Basics" book - and, I am quite sure, dozens more who really, really need it. So go ahead and join Corsa, start receiving the benefits - including buying the "Corsa Tech guide", a real "Meat and Potatoes" publication, that will likely get your car into running status sooner. Take the Free-bee "Corvair Basics"book and pass it along (give or sell) to someone who is just getting started into Corvairs. Who knows, Al? That "pay it forward" might supply you with someone to help you get your car out of Group Red and running on down the road. It is also in the spirit of the Corvair Car!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: September 10, 2018 04:54PM

Al Lane,

You are exactly the kind of person who qualifies! CORSA is trying to attract people who have never ever joined CORSA before.

Al Lacki

Date: September 10, 2018 05:59PM

I'll let you all know what I do about Corsa membership after my trip to Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee. Lots of Corvair related experiences will be had along with rest and relaxation. Picking up some parts as part of the trip. We leave tomorrow afternoon.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 21, 2018 05:09PM

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: September 26, 2018 06:12AM

Since the Corvair Society of America is attempting to increase its membership by attracting individuals that have never ever been members before, probably a wise move would be to try to attract those that have Never Considered Ownership Of A Corvair Vehicle..... ...Radical idea, no not really.

Consider this, the CORVAIR has a good number of things that are super-positive towards attracting Other Car-Hobby People:
1) for an antique car, the LM Vair has a beautiful body...., all jokes aside, the EM isn't too ugly, although perhaps a bit unsafe, though the EM vert can't really be called ugly.
2) Huge Number Of Survivor Cars thanks to the hording mentality and the cheapskate/MacGyver like qualities of the now-passed original wave of owners who had lived through The Great Depression, and out of necessity, developed mega-resourceful ultra-frugality.
3) PARTS Availabilty probably has never been Better! Granted, there are some restoration parts which are no longer produced as exactly like original stock components. The fact is the knowledge gained in the 50 years since the Corvair went out of production on 5-14-69, has led to hundreds of major improvements over the original GM bone stock components that the Corvair came with. This would include MacGyver modifications like Dale mfg style "Bolted Flywheels" as well as much newer innovations such as distributorless ignition and Clark's (BROWN) Electronic Fuel Injection. There are hundreds of parts which have evolved into better parts than what was previously available in 1969 or 1960. Alternative methods/parts have certainly improved the Corvair. Fred Johnson's OIL LEAK publication on how to combat Corvair oil leaks was certainly an improvement and better than what GM engineering had issued in the mid 1960's.
Forums like CORVAIR CENTER and CORVAIR FORUM have done much to exponentially improve the quality and bring improved methods of repair than anything that the original 1986 CORSA TECH GUIDE could have hoped to achieve. Knowledge is power and with that it is only natural that you get a progression of "technological improvements" based on latter day cost-effective boneyard and parts-shelf parts and a tinkering spirit by those aiming to improve on the previous improvements of the past. Probably, nowhere in the auto hobby is there a more resourceful group of seat-of-the-pants N-jun-ears (MacGyvers) than in Corvairland. Yes, it is true that the original wave had to be that damn good because the Corvair was so plagued with faults, that GM never sorted out. There is not enough that can be said for that original wave of MacGyvers and Corvair parts makers/used parts suppliers, who largely figured out how to double the reliabilty of the typically less reliable than average Corvair. Go to see Consumer Reports' ratings for each model year versus the Corvair competition and you will find that "Less Reliable Than Average" is how the Corvair is accurately and best described, rather than unsafe at any speed, although unsafe can accurately describe the swing-axle cars and a great many American and Import Cars of the 1940's, 1950's and early 1960's, knowing what has been learned in just the engineering studies/crash testing/etc of the mid to late sixties.......and beyond!
4) Entry into CORVAIRLAND is extremely affordable in terms of Classic Automobile hobbyist, even given the Cost of Remedial Repairs and Necessary Modern Upgrades for Drive-It Anywhere RELIABILITY. Easily, for no more than $15,000 US dollars, one can obtain a relatively rust free LM vert that looks nice, and make the necessary UPGRADES and the remedial repairs to the less than roadworthy condition that Grandpa Jones had it in when he was 75 to 84 years old....Grandpa Jones' kids took his keys away at 81 and had him surrender his drivers license to the state. Though Grandpa's vision , cognition,and physical reaction time forced him to stop driving, his overall health allowed him to live reasonably well for nearly another decade and enjoy the Corvair hobby with the help of the children and family. During that time, the CORVAIR, was simply traillered to shows and not ever driven. Grandpa Jones died just twelve days shy of his 97th birthday having lived a remarkeable life. The family disposes of his Corvair some four months later. A nice looking car, but as you can see, it has not been driven in about fifteen years and unless just trailering it to shows, it would not come close to being reliably driven for more than ten miles without significant remedial work.. THE NAMES HAVE BEEN CHANGED, BUT THIS GENERALLY IS VERY COMMON IN CORVAIRLAND DUE TO DEMOGRAPHICS AND HUMAN LIFESPAN.

Perhaps the question then becomes, How in the world, does CORSA or the car-hobby world attract car-hobbist/classic car folks to the CORVAIR?
I'll be the first to admit that I am an Old idiot so my thoughts on this subject probably are not perhaps the greatest but I'll share a few anyway.
I'm guessing here and it is just based on limited observations of how the younger technology savvy generations approach things.
Younger generations seem to like to be able to Click On To some site and by some magic have in a few seconds, all that there is to know about a particular subject................just witness the possibility of someone without any gray hair, saying ALEXA, tell me all I need to know to stop the smoking, knocking, thumping and popping noises that my CORVAIR is making...........ALEXA responds, CORVAIR IS THE WORLD'S WORST AUTOMOBILE, YOU SHOULD GET RID OF THAT PIECE OF SHE.

To gain the attention and attract NEW youthful (under 45) members, CORSA and any other old antique car member organization needs to do all it can to get Honest and Informative, yet highly detailed information on HOW TO REPAIR/IMPROVE/CUSTOMIZE.............HOW TO SELECT A DECENT minimally rusted CORVAIR.........
My suggestion would be for CORSA to set up a YOUTUBE channel devoted only to Repairing and Improving the Corvair. Think in terms of High Definition video that shows expertly, how to do virtually everything you'd ever need to do to any Corvair automobile or van.
Think big! Envision a pseudo, quasi In-COLOR, HIGH DEFINITION tv network, except with YOUTUBE being the delivery vehicle.
Yes, this means that it would need to be organized so folks could easily sort through the compiled videos on the CORSA channel.
Yes, this means the content Would Be Available To Everyone including non-members.
How in the hell are you gonna grow unless you reach those outside of CORSA?
Basically, you put everything there is to know out there in How To Videos that are home-made done by CORSA members and other volunteers with the key ingredient that absolutely nothing goes up if the Video isn't HD with excellent audio and excellent editing and flawless camera work. In this day and age when the latest smartphone can get video quality that exceeds the best late night tv infomercials of 1999, 2000, and 2001. If you put crappy video quality and horrible audio and poor editing and narration/instruction, you will lose your key audience no matter how good the technical content might be.
Get better video and audio of certain previously done technically-instructionally great Corvair how to video-Ohs and make them like 21st century professional videos that are second to none anywhere in the old antique car hobby anywhere on the net.
Yes, if you make all of it so informatively simple with superb video, audio and instruction, that exceeds what other marques/antique car groups have done, it is my belief that You Will Have Folks That Notice The Corvair That PREVIOUSLY would have thought oh well they look nice but they are too complicated and nobody around here knows anything about them.
You must be honest though in the shortcomings and deficiencies of The Corvair and how to FIX them. If you simply just exhibit GM promo films of the era and GM television ads, you are doing absolutely nothing for bettering the Corvair and garnering new members. Nobody is gonna believe that the CORVAIR was a great car back in the day, any more than they are gonna believe that the BEETLE and FALCON were great cars back in the day. The Beetle and Falcon might have been deemed reliable and economical and good back in 1963, 1966 or whatever year in the sixties but still compared to vehicles of the past 35 years, they (Beetle/Falcon) are horrible cars when viewed against 1985 and newer automobiles.
Nobody wants sixties era reliability when it isn't anywhere close to the reliability of the last 35 years. This is where the Mustang/Camaro crowd and others have gone to those improvements that hugely improve reliability and the overall driving experience. The Corvair not so much because few people drive them on roads/highways, where the Mustang/Camaro/Cutlass folks still drive them everywhere. One can argue that the V-8 reliabilty of those cars put them worlds ahead of the Corvair for driveability/reliabilty and that is certainly true but wheels/brakes/suspension pieces/ignition/transmission/radiator/fan modifications still vastly improve those sixties era v-8 mustangs/camaros/cutlass etc..

Use the youtube channel to get as much, top quality (no low quality video, no matter how good the technical stuff......re-do it for HD and audio quality/editing...) Make the youtube channel the world's best and most informative and easily navigated, automotive Corvair automobile Instructional channel that the planet has ever seen.
One could have an introductory video that explains the Corvair Center Forum and Matt's Faqs and how to best use the Corvair Center Forum. This video could be hosted by Matt and Motohead, or just Matt because he's smart and its easy to follow his instruction, while Motohead is also smart, he is less focused at times such that newbies won't understand all that Motohead says until they have progressed through Motohead 101 at the university level.

Why worry about trying to keep the wealth of instructionalinformation within CORSA bottled up such that only members can see it? This is short sided foolishness if you want my opinion. You won't attract new blood if folks can't be convinced in two seconds that the Corvair is indeed a car worth owning.
Make it super easy for them to determine that based on the HOW TO informative stuff that you'd put out there that is high definition and perfect quality video instruction that eachlooks like production video of say a late night infomercial or better...........absolutely No grainy, jumpy video with poor lighting or poor audio...............Todays phones can do it all.................there is no shortage of engines that folks will be building for their own cars are the hundreds of repairs that folks will be doing over the next two years.
It is just an effort to hd video such work with one's phone, perhaps with a prior soundcheck and using a simple lapel mic or handheld mic attached to the phone with the gain/level adjustment on the phone as necessary to get perfect audio......or just do the narration in post production(voice over..) editing will be done in post so doing voice over from a concise script for best instruction quality will work.........OF COURSE YOU WILL WANT onscreen pop-up graphics too..

People will join CORSA for the national events, and the discounted cost to attend such national gatherings, and perhaps the hotel discounts etc.
CORSA exclusive merchandise, publications, perks, etc...
If you make it fun and appealing to the target audience that you are trying to attain (youth), perhaps you can capture them. One thing is for certain, you won't if you do not move to a much more interactive/on demand/internet and mobile device app based club than what suits folks that are old like me. Being 12 years behind the times or more in web based content/information/inter-activity Does Absolutely nothing to help make the Corvair more attractive or help CORSA attract new young blood. The catch-22 is that old farts are traditionally at least ten years behind even the slowest moving late thirties aged group professionals in new technology and those young folks are still way behind those in their twenties in technology adoption/adaptation. It is a huge catch-22, but without some monumental leap ahead, growth in the ranks is dead as I see it.
I hope I am wrong. I usually am, according to my wife, I'm almost always wrong, so the odds maybe aren't so bad. The other thing that could benefit the Corvair world is if the German aircooled groups and the Nadernation would be willing to be more accepting of having events together. They don't need the Nadernation but the Nadernation would greatly benefit from having Wolfsburg and Stuttgart devotees see and interact with Bowtie flat six oil drippers and belt flippers!

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: September 26, 2018 06:16AM

Al
One of the membership benefits is the directory of CORSA members arranged geographically. Just the thing for the glove box on a long trip.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Posted by: bertle ()
Date: September 27, 2018 02:31AM

I looked at joining, but as I am in the UK a lot of the benefits of membership don't really help me as I see it. A genuine question for CORSA members, what will I get out of it other than a magazine subscription?

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 27, 2018 07:27AM

bertle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I looked at joining, but as I am in the UK a lot
> of the benefits of membership don't really help me
> as I see it. A genuine question for CORSA members,
> what will I get out of it other than a magazine
> subscription?

You will get to know other people that have repaired things. Tech articles in the Communique are or should be put through the tech editor so it is not like any of the social media where you have to wonder if what is suggested is correct. You also get access to the Tech Guide as has been mentioned earlier. That is a three volume book of changes and fixes that have been through a tech editor(s). You want REAL information? There it is. Not shade tree fixes that sometimes have nothing to do with the original issue.
The cost of the virtual membership is worth everything you pay for it, even more so than the paper copy! If you don't really feel like purchasing anything the full archive of Corsa Communiques are on line that you can log on and search where 99% of the tech articles have appeared.

There is more to membership than just a conventions!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: October 19, 2018 08:15PM

Tried going to the Corsa Join web page and it doesn't work. Can't join if website doesn't work.

I guess that slows down the free issues of the Corvair Basics Book. lol

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Date: October 19, 2018 08:42PM

Finally was able to break into the secret society Join page and read up on Joining.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: October 19, 2018 10:42PM

Glad to hear it, Al. I hope to see your info appear on the membership roster soon! If you have any questions, I have been a Corsa member since 1973.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: October 20, 2018 02:10AM

Statistics proove you are more likely to win a lottery (if you purchase a ticket) after you join Corsa!
Forget Samuel Langhorne Clemens, he was often misquoted.
Patriotism is supporting Corsa all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 20, 2018 08:26AM

Don't ask what your Corvair club can do for you.
Ask what you can do for your Corvair club.

Tim Shortle
Corsa member from 1981-1992
2004- to the end

Posted by: Bruins_Fan ()
Date: October 20, 2018 08:29AM

Good past month for me...I joined CORSA and bought my first Corvair!!

1966 Monza Convertible 110 PG
North Shore, MA

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.