Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Steering issue
Posted by: loots ()
Date: September 09, 2018 04:10AM

I have a Flamming River steering box (has about 1500 miles on it and is about 4 years old) in my 62 with Clarks quick steering arms. Needless to say, steering at slower speed is difficult. Which brings me to my problem. It feels like my steering wheel "slips" at slower speeds. The steering wheel will jump like a tooth on one of the splines is stripped (which they are not). Does this make sense? Anyone ever have this issue? Could it be something wrong within the steering box and is this box rebuildable? Does anyone offer a rebuild kit or rebuilt service on Flamming River boxes? I have loosened the steering box adjustment just to ensure that it wasn't too tight. Perhaps I messed the box up by having it too tight at some point? I do have Seth's steering wheel adapter and an aftermarket steering wheel. Also running 14" wheels with 165/55/14 tires. I've rebuild the entire front end including the steering components within the last 6 months as well. Thank you for any help and info.

Arlington, Washington
1962 Monza 110/PG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steering issue
Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: September 09, 2018 04:18AM

When it slips is the steering wheel off center? It is almost impossible for the steering box to slip and not leave the steering WAY off center. You have described a shaft spline jumping a tooth but if your steering wheel is still centered, it is jumping back into the proper spline.

Posted by: loots ()
Date: September 09, 2018 04:38AM

irfgt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When it slips is the steering wheel off center? It
> is almost impossible for the steering box to slip
> and not leave the steering WAY off center. You
> have described a shaft spline jumping a tooth but
> if your steering wheel is still centered, it is
> jumping back into the proper spline.

It jumps from center to about an 8th of a turn off then rotating the wheel back the other way it will jump back to center. Make sense? Thank you for the response.

Arlington, Washington
1962 Monza 110/PG

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: September 09, 2018 08:09AM

I don't know anything about steering boxes but I wouldn't be driving the car until I found out what was making the slip.. This time 1 jump the next maybe your last turn.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 09, 2018 08:25AM

What steering wheel and shaft is in the car?

Usually there is a coupler between the steering wheel shaft and steering box shaft. I'd look there first.

And as rowing said - DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR until you find the issue.

Some folks use the Flaming River box with STANDARD arms as a good combination that is not as slow as the standard box, with acceptable levels of steering effort.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: September 09, 2018 09:44AM

Did you install the FR box yourself? The early steering shafts had to be cut and machined to fit the FR coupler. I am not sure about your year.

Check any couplers in the system. There may be a problem there. I think that the coupler is on the steering box and then the shaft from the wheel connects to that. if the coupler is the type with a round "double D" for the steering shaft, it can do what your describing if the shaft is not perfectly machined for the "DD" hole. I ruined one shaft doing it wrong. Second seems to be holding.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: September 09, 2018 11:45AM

I don't know anything about that box, but I would suspect the coupler at between the steering column and the box. The standard box has a starred spline and coupler. If it loosens, you get exactly what you are talking about.

You can have someone turn the wheel hard while you are under it, watching the shaft turn without the input shaft to the box turning.

Line it back up and tighten both bolts hard.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 10, 2018 05:36AM

Is "165/55/14" tires a typo? 165 isn't very wide. 55 aspect gets her low. Sorry to go O/T with a nitpick but I find tire sizes on Corvairs interesting and I'm not always a wider is better sort of a guy.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.