Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Drippy Carbs, poor runnning looking for help and want to buy a pair of carbs
Posted by: keitho64 ()
Date: September 10, 2018 07:25PM

I finally spent some time tonight working on the carbs. It looks like all of you were right on the advice.

The link to the thread on the venture cluster tube was a huge help, thanks!

I removed the venture cluster and reinstalled them without a gasket and the screws did tighten it up without issue. BUT I found one of the emulsion tube wells was a bit bent on the flange where it sits on the carb body. I doubt it caused an issue, but I straightened it.

I removed the tubes from the venture clusters and checked them with a small machinist’s ruler and it seemed warped. I used 400 grit paper on my table saw top and you can see the results in the pictures below. On wasn’t too bad but the one in my picture was the worst. I was able to true then both up.

I noticed when I took the carb tops off the fuel level seemed high. I lowered the float level to 1 5/16. I also noticed on one carb the two sides of the float were not even. I took care of that as well.

The last thing I did was dial the fuel pressure back to 3.75psi.

I am VERY happy to report the car started up and seemed to run great. There were no signs of fuel dripping anywhere. When I shut the car off the fuel pressure gauge still registered 3.5 but no signs of gas anywhere.

Here is a link to a video of it running. [youtu.be]

It is late out and I do not want to bother my neighbors. Tomorrow night I will recheck the linkage, let it completely warm up and adjust the carbs. If all goes well I post a follow up video of me driving it tomorrow.

Thank you all for the advice!

Keith
64 Monza Convert 110 4-speed
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"
05 GTO 6-speed (Gotta have a V8)
Chicago Burbs; the Anti-Dragon... 11 turns in 318 miles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 07:25PM by keitho64.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drippy Carbs, poor runnning looking for help and want to buy a pair of carbs
Date: September 10, 2018 07:31PM

Here is a picture of how I mounted the fuel distribution block. If you look behind it you will see the regulator, fuel gauge and a fuel filter.

I also have a filter at the fuel tank, before the pump.

The fuel is wired up with a relay so I know it is getting the correct voltage. If you look in the upper left of the picture I added a small fuse block which feeds battery voltage to the relay I have under the dash.

I am planning to install an inertia switch this weekend. I ordered one and am waiting for it to come in.

If you are around Chicago you should see me driving the wheels off this car again. It have been a long time coming!

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 07:33PM by keitho64.

Attachments:
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 11, 2018 04:16AM

I'm glad to hear that it's working out for you.
As an aside and it probably doesn't matter but that's a 63 and earlier venturi cluster. Do you have vapor vents that would make them 64 carburetors? The little flapper that opens up at idle.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: September 11, 2018 04:35AM

Jim

Great eye. When I was doing the carb last night I noticed the two I am using as secondaries are off a 1962 102hp engine I used to have. The two I am running as primaries are the 64 style. So two do have the port on the base of the carb for the idle vapor vents and two do not.

I’ll leave it for now but I do plan to pick up two more 1964 style carbs in the near future.

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 11, 2018 05:30AM

No need to change sec bases Keith. The factory sec carbs did not have vents either.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 11, 2018 08:13AM

Good stuff! Look forward to hearing how they perform.smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: September 11, 2018 09:44AM

Great work Keith. The enjoyment of getting something right on a 55 year old car is great.

You said your running four primary carbs but do you want to run them in unison? Roger Parent now makes a linkage setup to do that. I just put it on my LM 140 engine and I am very happy with it. You can adjust each carb. separately and get them Unisync'd easily. Worth the money.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: September 11, 2018 11:09AM

Bob,

I did speak with Roger a while ago and he confirmed the kit I have is his style linkage. I have the 'secondaries' engaging at 25-30% throttle now. I am able to adjust to my liking.

I have Roger's clutch cable pulleys ready to install next, excellent craftsmanship.

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Date: September 11, 2018 09:22PM

I am not sure what the root cause of the issue was but between lowering the float level to 1 5/16, dropping fuel pressure to 3.5 and leveling out the Venturi the problem is gone.

I am elated to report it is working! I drove it around quite a bit tonight. Tomorrow I am going to change the oil as a precaution and then back on the road.
Thankfully I am just it time for fall. It is my favorite time of year to drive the Corvair and enjoy some top down motoring and the flat 6 song!

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 11, 2018 09:32PM

I knew you'd get it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 14, 2018 06:12AM

Quick update, drove it about 1 hour last night so I took it to work today. I know it is a terrible picture, but it made the 45 minute ride to my office with a lot of idling due to construction along the way.

I am calling this Job Done! Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it!

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 14, 2018 06:14AM

Any picis better than no pic!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 14, 2018 12:24PM

My coworker brought in his Elise. This is on my short list of future cars. I had to share this, it looks too cool!

Keith
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 14, 2018 09:04PM

WoW!
I always thought of the Elise as small.
Now I don't know if the Corvair is small, . . .
or the Elise is large!?!?

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 14, 2018 10:18PM

steve c goodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No need to change sec bases Keith. The factory sec
> carbs did not have vents either.

Per Steve's advice I installed 62-63 bases under my secondary tops to add the idle fuel mixture that was incorporated on the latter secondaries. The secondary idle mixture was added to great rid of a misfire at idle on the drivers side (long story). It works, but I did use the solid secondary throttle plates. I recall Steve said to set the idle mixture screw at half the turns you'd use for the primary carburetor, but he'll correct this if incorrect.

Re: FIXED!! : Drippy Carbs, poor runnning
Posted by: rlp11 ()
Date: September 15, 2018 12:51PM

I love that picture. Then and now. But I'll still take the one on the left.

Roger Parent
El Cajon, CA
1964 Monza Driver
1964 Monza Project

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.