Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Problem With Body Shops...
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: September 06, 2018 10:25AM

A few of you may be aware that a month ago I had a blowout on the RR my '65 Corvair, so long story short I took it to a body shop that has the best guy in the area for paint and body work, I've seen his work on a 68 Roadrunner convertible that was junk, and you'd never know the thing is a bundo bucket. So I brought the car to the shop 20 miles away, stripped all the chrom3 and rear grill, and he quoted me $600 to paint the quarter panel and blend it into the door and paint the cove silver. And I didn't want to make him crazy by asking how perfect the job would be. The car was hit lightly on the very corner, above the wheel well and they both showed signs of poor body work and slight paint flaking, chips etc. He calls me up yesterday to say the car is ready, a friend of mine gives me a ride over, and as soon as I pull in the driveway it was all over for me, and I went in his office and I lost it. He basically painted over the original bodywork and dents and paint chips and such, and where he blended into the door it was very visible. And on the left side behind the bumper, the color was two or three shades off. And there were buffing marks in the paint, and the body line was still crooked, and the bump in the rear corner around the bumper area was so visible in the evening sun, it was all I could do to not kick the car and kick him. I ranted for a few minutes, I've had a really bad couple of days, and looking back it would have been better just to leave the slight damage as it was. Now the car has a shiny quarter panel and it just looks ridiculous. It looks like it was painted at vocational shop class, or a Maaco paint shop on a bad day. So I didn't think that he'd even be able to do a proper job if he did it over again, and then he says he wasn't on the same page with me, it would have been $1,000 to do it properly, and he's pretty much got his tail between his legs and whining. Keep in mind this is a guy who's been in business for 40 years, and he mostly does late model stuff from the local Ford dealership. So after a few minutes, he decides to just charge me half, $300. I pay him, I jump in the car, the battery is dead because he forgot to disconnect the battery. And then my Mart Corbin floor shift is dangling, as if somebody must have thought it was a stick and they try to put it in reverse...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Problem With Body Shops...
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 06, 2018 10:49AM

That sounds like what happened to me with Allstate's approved shop. I sent it back 5 times before I gave up. They were sending the car to the local Buick dealer.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 06, 2018 10:55AM

You of all people should know we need pics (or video in your case). smiling smiley

Your story reminds me of why if pretty much NEVER EVER leave my car with anyone for service work. I can do bad work all by myself thank you!

Sorry for your troubles.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 06, 2018 11:01AM

That's usually my philosophy Dave. I just have to be reminded once in a while.

Date: September 06, 2018 11:06AM

I do absolutely everything myself, I hate leaving people alone. But this guy had a yard full of new or almost new vehicles, and I know the painter working there does the most spectacular work possible, but it looks like he had the teenager that was sweeping up the parking lot working on it.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: September 06, 2018 03:01PM

I also hate paying someone for work, it seems I always have to do something behind them. I used to have an excellent mechanic, could do anything and completely honest, he closed his shop when his wife got sick but still worked a little from home then he passed on. I used a decent shop I think to work on the Jeep finally and he did point me in the right direction for the most part.
I know someone who can do good paint and body work if I need it, back yard guy, but I generally can do well enough on my on now to make me happy.
Years ago my mom's car got wrecked, I took it to the body shop that here insurance company suggested, dealership, and they absolutely couldn't do decent work, it was right by my house and I stopped almost everyday and often showed the manager unacceptable work, this went on for like 3 months. Finally the owner of the dealership took his boat to be serviced at the shop my brother managed and after a week he called my brother about his boat and got an earful about mom's car, the shop manager called me to come by and "let's see what we can do to make you happy". Still not great work but at least we finally got the car back without painted over weld slag, didn't even clean it much less smooth it.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: heavy metal 1963 ()
Date: September 06, 2018 03:44PM

Better get Macco

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: September 06, 2018 04:00PM

[youtu.be]

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe

Detroit, Michigan

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 06, 2018 04:02PM

No mention of the much anticipated, survey winning cove treatment. How'd it turn out?

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: September 06, 2018 04:22PM

I have not had a whole lot of experience with Body Shops (Only three or four experiences as a customer over 40+ years).

With that said, my biggest complaint with them in general is that it seems that no matter how much it is stressed ahead of time, and how careful they promise they will be, they almost always seem to paint tires, except maybe if they are junk tires.

My second biggest complaint is that they apparently, simply do not listen, they over promise and often under deliver, or completely ignore or forget to do what they promised when the job was discussed and the estimate was given.

Fortunately for me, I have been 90% satisfied with the balance between price, quality, and completion on time for the majority of my experiences.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: September 06, 2018 04:45PM

$600? How much per hour does this guy charge?

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting REALclose.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: September 06, 2018 06:19PM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No mention of the much anticipated, survey winning
> cove treatment. How'd it turn out?
It's in the video linked in the post just above yours. Maybe a third the way through.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: September 07, 2018 08:43AM

I'm a little confused. You paid for third-rate work ($600) and expected metalwork, disassembly, fantastic prep, along with perfect color match and blending.

$600 doesn't go very far in 2018. What's the guys hourly rate if he can charge you that low of a number? How could he stay in business if he was doing show quality work for that price.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: September 07, 2018 08:58AM

Having a body shop brother with 30 years experience i can say paint can cost $200-$300 and up for small containers these days.

Sounds like the economies of running a tire over 21 years old, overinflated to 35 psa with known bulges seen and reported by Mark are getting more expensive as it goes on.

I'm just glad no one was hurt in this known potential accident waiting to happen.

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 86
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: September 07, 2018 09:17AM

Kyle_in_Mich Wrote:
> I'm a little confused. You paid for third-rate
> work ($600) and expected metalwork, disassembly,
> fantastic prep, along with perfect color match and
> blending.
>
> $600 doesn't go very far in 2018. What's the guys
> hourly rate if he can charge you that low of a
> number? How could he stay in business if he was
> doing show quality work for that price.

EXACTLY!!!!

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: September 07, 2018 06:06PM

I just bought a pint of custom mixed paint to touch up my 66 suburban. A pint of single stage paint and the Hardner was $120.

Date: September 08, 2018 05:59AM

I didn't say a word about price to the guy, I just asked how much to make it really really really nice. And I emphasized many times, many times, many times to straighten the body line that I'm sure had bondo below the old repaint, and the corner. And I showed it to him and we discussed it, and I know his body guy is the best in the area. But a friend of mine passed by to drop off a cove molding and he saw a young guy working on the car,. Anyways he called me up yesterday and asked me to come back and get my $300, so ultimately I got a low-budget paint job on my quarter panel for free. And I'm almost sure, like most regular high-volume body shops he has his own paint mixing station, which doesn't mean the paint is free of course, it just means that he has doesn't have to pay Body Shop mark up prices to have each quantity of paint mixed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2018 06:05AM by UGLYTRUK.

Date: September 08, 2018 06:22AM

Looking back, there was a sign that he wasn't going to do as good a job as I thought, when he said he would mask around the door handle. I had agreed right at the outset to remove all the chrome trim, which when I arrive to his shop we discussed blending further into the door to cover a few small scratches, and he said he would mask around the door handle. The door handle had already been masked, and the paint was chipping away, so I knew there was no way this would be an improvement, so luckily I had brought some tools and I removed the door handle, and then I decided to remove the rocker trim as well which is a real struggle, but I did so. So there was absolutely no trim whatsoever for him to mask, and upon closer inspection yesterday, I realized he didn't paint the entire rocker which is missing a bunch of paint below the trim that had been masked many years earlier.

Date: September 08, 2018 06:29AM

Kyle_in_Mich Wrote:
> I'm a little confused. You paid for third-rate
> work ($600) and expected metalwork, disassembly,
> fantastic prep, along with perfect color match and
> blending.

If you read my latest post, I did 100% of the disassembly, there was zero to mask around. He also mentioned when he called me to pick up the car, that it was unbelievably solid, which pretty much means that he was expected to find rust even though I assured him the vehicle had zero rust. And I mean rust out of patches. (We're not talking surface rust here). And I even removed the air grill, and showed him that the corner had been crunched and hammered and had no bondo, and he just painted right over everything including all the scratches and paint chips.
>
> $600 doesn't go very far in 2018. What's the guys
> hourly rate if he can charge you that low of a
> number? How could he stay in business if he was
> doing show quality work for that price.

I have no idea what his hourly rate is, it was never discussed. I brought the car to him, I showed him what I wanted done and what I expected, and he just quoted $600. Looking back, had he quoted double that, $1200 I would have paid it as well. But we had no negotiating whatsoever, I told him what I wanted and he quoted a price and I agreed to it and I was prepared to pay until I saw what it looked like.

He runs a busy shop, and when I went there to drop off the car, his two guys and he were taking a break, and we chatted for 30 seconds, and he said he had to get back to work. So I knew he was the kind of guy didn't want to have these long conversations with people, and take up valuable shop time with chitter chat. I can talk anybody's ear off, but I think I kept it pretty short, and explained to him how nice the car was and how I expected it to be fully painted one day,

Date: September 08, 2018 06:44AM

The cove turned out decently, he said he mixed a bit of flattener in not to have it too shiny, but I haven't looked at it to to carefully, I also haven't installed the trim. I'm kind of letting things settle down in my mind. So what I'll do is put the car back together one of these days, I'm driving it to a car show 2 hours away, but I'm just going to park in the parking lot because I don't feel like paying the $30 entrance fee. I'll make a video and I'll put a light on it so you guys can see the slight amount of unrepaired damage more clearly. As good as my phone is, it doesn't pick up the details like and I can see. So I'll make a video specifically for the Corvair guys, and everybody else can watch it and say that it's shiny, and it looks fine.

Wagon Master Wrote:
> No mention of the much anticipated, survey winning
> cove treatment. How'd it turn out?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.