Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Fuel gauge calibration
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 07, 2018 11:19AM

I do realize the one gauge I tested is good. I don't see how corroded supply or ground would keep it from reading empty. I would think the supply wouldn't matter at all and the ground would make it read more full. The only wiring issue I can see that would cause my problem is high resistance on the sender side.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 07, 2018 11:26AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do realize the one gauge I tested is good. I
> don't see how corroded supply or ground would keep
> it from reading empty. I would think the supply
> wouldn't matter at all and the ground would make
> it read more full. The only wiring issue I can
> see that would cause my problem is high resistance
> on the sender side.

Yes, guess I wasn't clear. Remember all current must return via ground to the power source and a poor ground connection at the sender or gauge to instrument cluster/dash frame will cause a problem. The ground wire from the sender to the body is often a problem, especially on cars is wet climates (gas tank straps are a poor ground).

As I previously mentioned - the internal gauge mechanism is grounded internally to the case and I did find a one that was an issue.

Good luck.

Date: September 07, 2018 12:03PM

My understanding is that it is two parallel circuits. The one pulling it to full goes from hot through the coil to gauge ground. The one pulling it to empty goes from the same hot through a different coil to ground through the sender. If I'm understanding correctly a bad hot connetion would be equally bad to both sides so it wouldn't make any difference as long as it provides enough power. A bad ground at the gauge would make it read more empty because it would weaken the full coil while a bad ground in the tank side will make it read more full by weakening the empty coil. Am I thinking clearly?

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: September 07, 2018 05:29PM

I calibrated mine (after making it) by bending the rod on the float so that when it hit the bottom, the gauge was at the bottom, and when it hit the top of the tank, the gauge was at the top.

A combination of bending out/in, and up/down

I have about 4 liters when it stops bouncing, and after fill I consume about 4 liters for it to actually come down to the full mark.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: February 08, 2019 10:18PM

Got a chance to work on my Lakewood/Spyder dash fuel gauge again today. I did have it working and then it got to where it would only read between 5/8 and full.
Turned out one of the tiny rivets that hold the black background to the gauge mechanism had fallen out allowing the background to fall slightly and make the needle stick. I replaced the rivet with a tiny self tapping screw and it works perfect now. Slightly below the E line empty and slightly about the F line full. The full travel of the sender has the float about 1" from the top of the tank and 2" from the bottom so it has over 2 gallons left when it reads empty. I may tweak the arm to get it a little closer to the bottom of the tank. Tank has to come out anyway since it decided to quit holding gas.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: February 09, 2019 01:05PM

Apparently a PO had decided it was a good idea to drill a hole in the tank about 1/3 up the back side. I guess he later changed his mind because it was covered with some kind of putty. When I had the tank out to replace the filler hoses apparently I disturbed the putty and it sprung a nice 1/8" leak. I lost a good half tank. The hole now has a screw epoxied into it so hopefully it won't leak again or at least not there.
I did bend my float arm to split the difference between full and empty.
Tank is back in and now it's waiting for the epoxy to dry. 24 hours to fully cure 5 minute epoxy. I hope it holds. I'm guessing it will be ok since it is really only being used as thread sealer.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: February 09, 2019 01:19PM

Hole

Joel
Northlake, TX

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 09, 2019 01:26PM

How many times have we seen this!! Only happened to me once... and when tank didn't drop...I knew where to look! ggg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 09, 2019 01:38PM

I've heard of it plenty but this was my first time. I actually thought about it when I had the tank out and looked at the body to see if anything was poking through but I forgot to look at the tank. Hopefully this will teach me to look at both from now on.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.