Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Turbo Issues - Brainstorms Appreciated.
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 05, 2018 08:44AM

So I went on Road 152 today, Checking out the engine ride using the newly installed choke. Runs much better at lower speeds, but still sputtering in the 60-70mph range. And when that starts, lower speeds give out, as well. Turbo vac, maybe? It seems like it's trying to engage but can't. If I change the vacuum advance on the distributor will this help? I have another one that is new but I never installed it. Brainstorms appreciated.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA & South Coast CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turbo Issues - Brainstorms Appreciated.
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 05, 2018 09:09AM

Coil would be my first guess. It sounds like something is getting hot or it could be too rich and start running poorly when it is fully warmed up. Are you sure the choke is staying open?

Date: September 05, 2018 01:15PM

Can't be sure about the choke, I guess, but I get the same issues after changing it, so it must be something else.

Coil eh? How hard it that to service?

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Date: September 05, 2018 01:24PM

Oh wait--Coil! Like as the MSD or Petronix?

No, that is brand new from California Corvairs.

Back to the old drawing board.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: September 05, 2018 01:38PM

It makes me think it's running out of gas, have enough flow until the demand is too high, Does it start running ok again after you slow down for a bit? If so that could be an indication that the fuel flow is limited, filter or another obstruction.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 05, 2018 01:41PM

Brand new doesn't always mean good but if it is behaving the same as the old one it probably isn't likely. What ignition does it have? If the coil is the wrong resistance it could be overheating and behave just like an old but good one that is overheating. Will it fail when just warmed up or does it take a while? You gave a MPH instead of RPM which seems odd to me. It should fail at the same RPM no matter what gear/speed you are going.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 05, 2018 05:59PM

Wait! You have a Pertronics on this and you are having issues?

Even if you are only triggering an MSD put some points in and see if the issues change.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: September 05, 2018 09:54PM

Don, yes it gets better if I slow way down. I have a fuel regulator on the car, set to 3psi. I thought that was right for a turbo, maybe I need to go up to 4? I have a non-points system and I don't trust myself to fool with it, Ken.

Joel, I mentioned MPH because I don't really push the RPMs until 3rd and 4th gear, but yeah, powering up is always a problem, no matter the gear, after it warms up.

Which leads me to another possibility--I've had it suggested to me that the gas is getting to the boiling point, and that causes problems, because, "modern gas is crap."

All good theories, I'll run through them and let you all know.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Posted by: Dazanz ()
Date: September 05, 2018 10:10PM

Maybe check for air leaks, spray Brake clean and listen for idle change around carb base, rubber tube between turbo And inlet pipe. I had a bad leak around where the inlet manifolds bolts to the heads on one side which was only leaking under boost so I was getting only half the boost by looking at my gauge. And I could hear boost leaking out out while driving and a bit of fuel residue there aswell.
Also check your vacuum canister on your distributor is not leaking by blowing into the air tube.

Date: September 06, 2018 02:02AM

If I remember the car had been off the road for a while when you got it, this is what causes fuel problems. If you didn't install a new tank the problem could be in there. A fairly easy test is to use some kind of fuel tank, maybe a boat tank, and run a hose to your fuel pump then take it for a similar ride and see if the problem is still there, if it's gone then you'll know where to look, if it stays well you keep looking.
I had an electric fuel pump that would quick pumping but still run, took years to figure that out.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 06, 2018 06:38AM

When I was dealing with what seemed to be a fuel issue, I modified the lid for a 1 gallon then strapped it to the air intake and ran a hose to the carb. It worked well and had plenty of pressure for the YH carb. No fires.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: September 06, 2018 08:15AM

I may need pictures for that, Don & J O!

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: September 06, 2018 05:30PM

see if you can find some one with a fuel pressure gauge those regulators are not very good almost never match actual what it set at.

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Date: September 06, 2018 06:05PM

Here's a couple videos, one is a VW running off a fender mounted can through the fuel pump, other is someone using a lawnmower tank to gravity feed a carb, just a foot or so is enough to fill the carb.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 06, 2018 06:25PM

If you have the little chrome fuel pressure regulator that has a dial on the top with some numbers, take it off and go get a good regulator that actually works, those also have a habit of leaking. The good ones won't be $10 but if you want to control fuel pressure to a number, worth every penny.

If you are using the stock fuel pump and trying to regulate that, why? If the pressure is is to high take the top off the pump and cut the spring. This has been talked about here many times.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 06, 2018 06:42PM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have the little chrome fuel pressure
> regulator that has a dial on the top with some
> numbers, take it off and go get a good regulator
> that actually works, those also have a habit of
> leaking. The good ones won't be $10 but if you
> want to control fuel pressure to a number, worth
> every penny.
>
>2nd that. They are more of a restrictor than a reg. Also, they don't allow return flow, so if used with a YH the hot soak fuel can't flow back through the return line, so you have flooding. get a Holly and a gauge.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: September 07, 2018 09:14AM

I have a Holly with a seperate gauge. The drama of getting that to me is well documented. It is hooked up with a return (unless the guy who helped me install it neglected to put the return back on.)

So, back to original question--I need to turn it up? If the suspect was a bad gauge and not the pressure as indicated, then that would be the logical conclusion, since on a Holly 3psi IS 3psi.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 07, 2018 09:31AM

What ignition components are you using and part numbers.

If correct (part number), the Holley regulator should work fine. No don't increase fuel pressure.

Recently I was helping a fellow with a problem. A "vendor" had shipped him a 3.0 ohm (internal ballast resistor) Flamethrower coil and that was incorrect. Corvair has 1.8 ohm external ballast in wiring harness. I like Petronix, but have had issues with the Flamethrower coils. I now use a new coil rated for a mid 60's Chevy V8 engine with the Petronix I module.

With any old Corvair you should have a fuel filter up at the tank. I had one fellow trying to figure out lack of fuel. The fuel filter he added was "plugged up" due to crud in tank. Until he got a new tank he had to change the filter every few months.

Date: September 07, 2018 09:55AM

You know what? I just called the guy. (Works on classic cars but this is his first Corvair) He said he didn't put in a return.

Maybe I can get some help with that down in El Segundo tomorrow.

I'll probably run a little better with the new distributor vacuum and Alternator, but that return seems crucial.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2018 09:58AM by playerpage.

Posted by: WCcorsa ()
Date: September 07, 2018 10:38AM

If you haven't done so already (I'm amazed at how many fail to do the basics):

1. Perform an engine compression and leak-down test.

2. Make sure there is no mouse or rat nesting under the top shroud.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.