Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
62 Rear V-8 in MN Garage
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 03, 2018 06:45AM

I had a call from a gal in Los Angeles wondering what to do with her Father's V-8 Corvair, he passed away about 10 years ago. I was thinking LM mid-engine but it turned out to be EM rear engine SBC, supposed to be a Corvette engine. The Mother is getting ready to sell the place so something has to be done. They're having an auction with other stuff but she doesn't want to risk having the Corvair go for little or nothing.

The Father had a successful auto repair business in Fridley and built the Corvair. It's said to be well done because he was that kind of a guy. I met the brother there who knows about cars but has neither the desire or place to work on it. The engine is said to be stuck from sitting but did not have a catastrophic failure.

The sister asked around LA but couldn't find anyone to work on it. It's also easier to get a car transported if it runs.

I'm a road racing rather than drag racing sort of a guy so this Corvair sort of goes against my sensibilities. She's a little wrapped up in sentimental value, when she was 16 Dad said she could have the blue V-8 and the brother could have the red Stinger clone, which is a whole other story. Supposedly Dad had a lot of success drag racing it. It must be reverse rotation.

The body looks to be in good shape in a nice blue color but it's got a lot of dust and hard to get a good look at. Nice mag wheels with old tires and who knows about the brakes and gas tank. It's interesting and looks good enough to save. The V-8 thing in general is not my cup of tea but that's just me and mine, I would not be adverse to working on one.

I'm just sort of looking for some discussion on what to advise her to do. Is EM rear V-8 an evil handling beast that would just be unsafe at any speed? Are there any others? Is it worth anything? It only takes one buyer. Is there anyone in LA that would be honest and suited to this sort of a job? Is there anyone in Minnesota who would be interested in buying it? Until just now I had assumed it's manual transmission, it never even occurred to me that someone might use a Powerglide. Doh!

There's also a red 63 Van that's been sitting under a lean-to for 20 years. Solid enough for someone to do something with but I suppose it needs everything. I've already got 2 Van projects that I can't seem to get to. Anyone in Minnesota looking for something to do? It's a manual transmission.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 62 Rear V-8 in MN Garage
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 03, 2018 08:01AM

The added cost / $200? to ship a non running car is far less than paying to get it running 2000 miles from where she lives..

Have her decide if she wants it or want $$$ Lots of peple to work on it when it gets to LA... world center of v8 Corvairs..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 03, 2018 08:21AM

Who can I refer her to in LA with good conscience?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 03, 2018 08:56AM

Quite a story. If the V8 is rear mounted I'm guessing it must be reverse rotation. I also can't imagine the EM transaxle would be reliable with that much engine torque.

There was someone who built a V8 mid engine EM Corvair using one of the Pontiac Tempest V8 transaxles. That would be interesting.

If the car is indeed a rear engine SBC I suspect few would want to get involved with such a unique build with dubious handling.

That said Chuck Rust is President of the SCC club in Torrance, CA (greater L.A. area) and Chuck has a Crown V8 and is in the V8 national club. He's good guy and might be able to help with contacts.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 03, 2018 09:06AM

At least one builder using Pontiac Tempest swing axle and modified gearbox was Skip Huth. Him and car were featured in an engine swap book published years ago by Hot Rod magazine.

I second the suggestion to contact Chuck Rust for help with either making the car whole again or moving it to a new owner.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: September 03, 2018 09:09AM

Pretty sure I have a magazine article on this 62 ?? I will try to find it.

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Date: September 03, 2018 09:21AM

I have the magazine too but I am at the shop. The title is 'Engine Swaps' or very similar Mel. The Crown conversion is also featured.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: September 03, 2018 10:42AM

Hello all: since I am drawn to checking CCF way too often I looked at this thread again. I realized I left a poor description of the EM in the magazine article. It was/is mid-engine using the Tempest swing axle suspension.

Only reason I wanted to add this was to avoid any confusion that the car Jim is referring to (rear engine) and the one I am talking about are the same car, they are not.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: SoloCP ()
Date: September 03, 2018 10:43AM

Try Phil Dally if he is close.
Jeff Williams at California Corvairs, Suspect he would offer wholesale value as he would need to get running to sell.

Don
Kansas City
HACOA
Broken Halo Corvair Garage.
61 Lakewood
62 Monza aka (Flicka)
62 Rampside
63 700 Sedan 3 Speed
64 Spyder Coupe (Bill Pierson Car)
64 Monza Convertible,140/4 Speed,Electric Heat,Kelsey Hayes Wheels
64 Spyder Blown, (Dave Bolduc Car)
65 Corsa 3.1 Liter Triple Weber (aka Unsafe)
65 Corvair V8 (Coming Soon) I hope !!
66 Avenger, Corvair Turbo, Fuel Injected, Air to Water intercool 140. (Michael Mann Car)
67 Monza 110 Auto. Sugar Bear

Date: September 03, 2018 12:43PM

Was the owner builder Skip Huth ???

Date: September 03, 2018 01:17PM

Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was the owner builder Skip Huth ???

Steve sez: Yes Mel I stated the name in my first reply. As I
said in my last offering it is/was mid-mounted, not rear as the
one that Jim B is referring to.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: September 03, 2018 02:01PM

The Skip Huth 1962 Coupe Corvair was rear mounted Corvette SBC,, Hot Rod Magazine Oct 1964, don't think he built a car with a Tempest ??

Date: September 03, 2018 02:20PM

Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Skip Huth 1962 Coupe Corvair was rear mounted
> Corvette SBC,, Hot Rod Magazine Oct 1964, don't
> think he built a car with a Tempest ??

Steve sez: oh oh, I got names and cars mixed up sorry
all. When I get home this evening I will grab the
magazine about the Tempest mid-eng early and give
an update. Thanks Mel for looking up the info.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: September 03, 2018 07:16PM

Ok (anyone who cares) I found the magazine "Complete book of Engine Swapping number 2" by Leroi Tex Smith. Publishing date 1969.

The early cpe is owned by Bob Bronke but there is no location hints at all. It is mid-engine using Pontiac Tempest swing axle rear suspension and he made an adapter plate to use (their words) 1960 Chevy transmission to the transaxle assembly. Obviously their reference to transaxle means only the Tempest diff. The only pic of the trans shows two shift arms so I am guessing a 3spd. All pics show nice work and a clean car, what happened to it? No telling. The very small article did mention the car we have been talking about above belonging to Skip Huth. I also have the pages from Rod & Custom May 1968 with another article about the Bob Bronke car. It states he is from Buffalo, NY. More pics and details but no hint as to trans gear count.

Also I did remember correctly that the CROWN conversion was also featured.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Attachments:

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: September 03, 2018 09:24PM

huh - my car had a 327 feeding a 3-speed and Tempest (?) transaxle.
But the mating of trans to diff was done poorly.

But, working on it was just nuts 'n bolts, like anything else of that era.
Err - that is, much less specialized than a real Corvair powertrain.

Jay Maechtlen
El Monte, Ca
Yes, it started out in life as a 61 2door.
It has a custom fiberglass skin, and a transverse 3.8 Buick.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 03, 2018 09:53PM

Jay, that a full sized Chevy 3 speed with a short tailshaft from an early 4x4 adapted[ see the plate ] to a '63 Tempest Differential.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2018 07:53AM by MattNall.

Date: September 04, 2018 04:30AM

I found the October 64 Hot Rod magazine article on the Skip Huth Corvair reprinted in a Tucson Corvair club newsletter in January 86.

I don't think these people are the Huth's but it could be the same Corvair purchased later. I'll have to do some more research. I did verify that it's a 4 speed.

The Van is on Craigslist Minneapolis today for too much money.

I'll try to find Chuck Rust, if someone has contact info it would save me some time.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: September 04, 2018 05:59AM

At the end of the Oct 64 HRM article, it says a kit was available for $348. Sort of narrows the odds that this is the same car.

I did some searching for Chuck Rust and sent a few e-mails, also found a phone number at a silkscreening company.

It took a bit to figure out SCC is South Coast Corsa. Would someone know that CMI is Corvair Minnesota?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: September 04, 2018 06:41AM

HERE is the article on the SBC Rear-Engine 'Vair.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 04, 2018 07:31AM

Jim - PM with Chuck's number sent.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.