Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: 62 Rear V-8 in MN Garage
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 03, 2018 06:06AM

Thanks to the efforts of cnicol and igottajob2, I had a long phone conversation with Skip Huth's son last night. He lives here in Minnesota, has some collector cars including a EM rear engine V-8 which he purchased not running and was not built to the high level of craftsmanship that his father's car had.
He had not been born yet at the time of his father's unfortunate passing in 1965. He's not interested in being in the public eye at this time so it's not my place to share his story.
Skip Huth had a job at 3M, a business Huth Automotive Engineering, and was attending University, it sounds like he was quite a remarkable young man. I think he was born in the late 30s. I would imagine his wife had a rough time of it with one child and another on the way.

I started out wondering about the $348 kits mentioned in Hot Rod magazine, I'm told 3 of them were sold.
I haven't seen the 62 Corvair again since my initial 10 minute look. I plan to get it here for possible repair before the snow flies. Again, I don't think it's the same Corvair but it's possible that it's the drivetrain or maybe one of the kits.

Skip's son and I plan on visiting again. So many times with Corvairs in particular or I suppose old cars in general, the cars and their history are intertwined in the people's lives and their history.
It's especially interesting to me that Skip Huth carved up a 62 Corvair in 1963, it was practically a new car, he also in 64 had his eye on a new transmission with a bigger input shaft.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 03, 2018 06:46AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I talked to an old hot rod guy from St. Paul. In
> 1964 he was feeling pretty sporty in a 102 with a
> 4 carburetor conversion and raced a guy from the
> lights on University Ave and got a whupping. At
> the next light he asked the guy what it had in it.
> Turns out it was Skip Huth with a 327.
> He says Skip Huth was killed in the Corvair in
> early 1965 on a high crowned Wisconsin road,
> traveling at speed when a big gust of wind blew
> him off the road.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Was this "old hot rod guy" following Skip that fateful day, so he knows what road he was on? He "saw" the big gust that caused the fatal accident?? confused smileysmoking smiley

Maybe he saw what happened to this poor guy, too. Likely an even bigger "GUST"

Those Corvettes are known to be "Ill-handling" 'cause guys have been killed in 'em. sad smiley

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 03, 2018 08:32AM

I find the story of a cutting edge hot rod Corvair in a national magazine especially interesting. I love Corvairs, make a living working on them and had a National license road racing a Corvair in SCCA. I've driven stock and modified Corvairs on the street with zeal.
The old hot rod fellow mentioned also loves Corvairs, had Corvairs back then and has a 63 Corvair convertible now. He's an old drag racer on the street and track.
My intention is not to disparage any Corvair, I just find this story interesting and thought other folks might be interested too. Maybe I'm misdirected, having lost focus amid my enthusiasm.
The Golden Age was fraught with danger, how about a Model T with a Hemi engine as an example, how about a Sports Racer that begins to leave the ground at speed as another. If you think I brought this story up as a way to say Corvairs are unsafe, you're as wrong as you can be. To me, it's about a cool car with a connection to hotrodding history that's been at rest in a garage for 27 years.
To say that someone needed to be there is as ridiculous as today's saying "if there's no photo it didn't happen". Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: October 03, 2018 01:27PM

Jim, I know you are a Corvair enthusiast to the core and I was not saying anything about you or your dedication to our cars.
It just "ticks me off" when I hear folks pontificating on a circumstance that they likely did not witness. Attaching blame to the car, road, wind in this case is just "crazy talk" unless he was following right behind.

Also, not just in the Golden Age, but at any time, foolish people can do unbelievable things to their cars.

That was a near new 2010 Camaro SS until the guy destroyed it. Obviously high speed and no thinking had something to do with this wreck.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: October 03, 2018 01:32PM

I'd love to see this car running and visiting shows, people will flock to it, the story makes it more interesting even if it's sad.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: October 11, 2018 07:17AM

This thread is so interesting! Happy to help Jim! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: October 13, 2018 11:28AM

Traveling at speed - I wonder what speed?
Tires, aerodynamics, lots of things play a part in handling crosswinds.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.