Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 22 of 23
Re: 65 V8 Coupe w/Buick 215 - Racecar to Streetcar Build smoking smiley
Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: February 07, 2021 04:25PM

Much more productive day:

Drilled the holes, installed the rivnuts, then installed the AC/Heat unit brackets and test fit the unit inside the cabin.

Removed the rusted metal from the lower windshield tray at the dashboard, then welded in new metal.

Not pretty but it works:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Drilled the holes, then test fit the home-made defroster duct:

I was planning to drill the holes to fit the padded dash but was concerned about getting them accurately drilled to ensure a proper fit.

Therefore, I did some research on Corvair Center and found the thread where VairKing (Ryan Counterman) stated that he cut off the posts and used industrial Velcro to attach the dash.

So, after considering his suggestion, I decided to try using hard drive magnets instead of Velcro.

Three of these very strong magnets work great and snugly hold the pad to the metal dash.

The best part is that it is now easily removable!

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: February 07, 2021 05:22PM

I like the magnet trick! You must have had some hard drives around ggg

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: February 07, 2021 07:21PM

Cool Solution!

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: February 08, 2021 03:01AM

Great Idea! I am assuming you ground down the metal base the magnet sits on. Unless you know a trick to separate the magnet from the metal?

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: February 08, 2021 03:50AM

Since the metal skeleton of the pad is concave, there is a natural gap created between the pad and the metal dash that allows the magnets to snugly hold the pad but still allow easy removal of the pad without the need to glue the magnets to the pad itself.

One could epoxy the magnets to the pad if desired.

It does take a bit of work to remove the magnets from the pad using a small flat-tip screwdriver...

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Springfest Webmaster

Date: February 08, 2021 05:24AM

ihscomputers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It does take a bit of work to remove the magnets from the pad using a small flat-tip screwdriver...

Thanks for the tip!

-Tom

86' BMW 325es
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: February 13, 2021 06:34PM

I had been considering re-doing the air exhaust housing when Andria (Carholic4life) suggested eliminating the sharp angles that don't make for good air flow.

So, I took the old housing to Cotton Custom Metals and asked them to fabricate a better housing out of aluminum.

I am test fitting the first prototype this weekend and will be bringing it back for final adjustments or a complete re-fabrication based upon the required changes.

The requested access hole was to allow access to the fan without putting it on the lift. But, it's a little too low and needs to be "rotated" up...

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Springfest Webmaster

Date: February 14, 2021 06:22AM

Looking good, Dean. Nice idea with the magnets.

I really like how you’re not just performing tasks to get things “done”, but are making changes on the fly to make things “right”. The end result is pure quality.

Thanks for the updates and great work!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're unique, just like everyone else...

Johnny B
Central WI

Wife's '68, 3.0L, twin-screw compressor and fuel injected in the works...

Project Pressurized Pancake

Posted by: 66cv8 ()
Date: February 14, 2021 06:23AM

Dean,

My front end is pretty much gutted, airflow appears not to be a problem during hard track outings. She runs on thermostat (180) all day long. Fuel cell is a new edition currently being mocked up. More structure is being added with a total bulkhead re vamp.

I'm also planning a pedal tunnel for a 2" increase in legroom. I'll try to keep up with progress posts. Work is very slow but steady now due to some very cold temps in the barn!

I will also be redoing the coolant lines. I have stainless steel tubing .064 wall that will also add structure. I see you have the same radiator as I do, double pass is the way to go! I plan on running the lines through the passenger area exposed.

Feel free to PM me.

Joe

66 500 Crown 350/4 on road
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 rough
69 Monza Convertible 140/4 in progress (original 95/3)
Nu Joisey

" A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING"

"STUPID is the NEW SMART"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2021 06:32AM by 66cv8.

Attachments:
Date: February 14, 2021 04:43PM

Had to re-fabricate the top cover for the air entrance because the old one did not quite fit.

It's amazing how many things have to be re-done by changing bodies despite doing my best to duplicate the original engineering!

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Springfest Webmaster

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: February 15, 2021 06:31AM

Ive found alot of interesting things about cooling on my V8 racer and the front mounted oil cooler on my early racer.
On the Crown over the years as the HP increased, 450 Hp ,540 Hp and now 650. With 450 just openings under the front bumper were good, going to 540 i had to add openings above the Bumper and added a oil cooler,650 reguired more inlet above the bumper. Now on a 95 degree day the V8 stays around 210-220 water and 240 oil which is perfect. The exit of the air is similar to yours but smaller because of the Fuel cell. Keep in mine there is no cooling fan, just forced air at speed.
362 has always had oil temp issues, front mounted oil cooler under the Bumper with a spoiler to scoop the air in. The Temp would just keep rising to 300 degrees by the end of a 10 lap race. Shifting at 6500 instead of 7200 would just prolong the inevitable. I gradually opened the front up from originally just a series of holes to opening up a bigger area, nothing changed untill i added a small lip spoiler under the car just in front on the outlet opening creating a low pressure area.Now the oil temp climbs to 260 and never gets any higher. Im good with that as 7 races later the motor still runs as good as it did on day one smiling smiley Creating low pressure to help suck the air out is crucial in my opinion.

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2021 06:32AM by v8vair.

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: February 15, 2021 08:03AM

v8vair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ive found alot of interesting things about cooling on my V8 racer and the front mounted oil cooler on my early racer.
> On the Crown over the years as the HP increased, 450 Hp ,540 Hp and now 650. With 450 just openings under the front bumper were good, going to 540 i had to add openings above the Bumper and added a oil cooler,650 reguired more inlet above the bumper. Now on a 95 degree day the V8 stays around 210-220 water and 240 oil which is perfect. The exit of the air is similar to yours but smaller because of the Fuel cell. Keep in mine there is no cooling fan, just forced air at speed.
> 362 has always had oil temp issues, front mounted oil cooler under the Bumper with a spoiler to scoop the air in. The Temp would just keep rising to 300 degrees by the end of a 10 lap race. Shifting at 6500 instead of 7200 would just prolong the inevitable. I gradually opened the front up from originally just a series of holes to opening up a bigger area, nothing changed untill i added a small lip spoiler under the car just in front on the outlet opening creating a low pressure area.Now the oil temp climbs to 260 and never gets any higher. Im good with that as 7 races later the motor still runs as good as it did on day one smiling smiley Creating low pressure to help suck the air out is crucial in my opinion.

Mike,

That makes so much sense and it is what I found out dealing with UV520 overheating while driving.

Have any water cooled owners used the Evans Coolant yet? (If so, I like to know the results please vs standard coolant with the same power-plant.)

Where I'm confused is the fact that this Super Chevy article says that One HP is equal to about 42.44 BTU.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/project-cars/sucp-1204-cooling-system-basics

But when I do gas or combustion engine HP to BTU search, EVERYTHING states the BTU is 2,544.4342 per hour for 1 Horsepower.

These HP to BTU converters say different. What am I missing?
http://convert-to.com/conversion/power/convert-hp-to-btu-per-hr.html

https://www.inchcalculator.com/convert/horsepower-to-btu-per-hour/

It's a big difference between One HP being 42.44 BTU vs 2,544.4342 BTU

So your HP numbers converted BTU is either:

1. 450 = @ 42.44 per HP = 19,098 or @ 2,544.4342 = 1,144,995.38 BTUs Per Hour

2. 540 = @ 42.44 per HP = 22,917.6 or @ 2,544.4342 = 1,373,994.46 BTUs Per Hour

3. 650 = @ 42.44 per HP = 27,586 or @ 2,544.4342 = 1,653,882.22 BTUs Per Hour

Date: February 15, 2021 02:01PM

Mike (v8vair),

Do you have any photos of the "lip spoiler" so that we can get a better idea of what you are describing, especially for those of us who wish to duplicate your success?

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Springfest Webmaster

Date: February 16, 2021 04:12AM

Dean, here is the splitter I use. It's a nascar piece and has 3 depth adjustments. I move a ton of air and you can feel the downforce as your speed increases. This is track proven. I use fully ducted double pass radiator with massive wheel well openings.

I used to make 400 hp till it went BANG in nascar turn 3 at Pocono in August. I picked up a fresh late model engine that dynos 530 hp and I anticipate no cooling issues. Of course I have a transaxle and engine oil cooler to help.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Joe

Nu Joisey

Attachments:
Date: February 16, 2021 04:26AM

Update on new core structure and planning for bulkhead, Note the 2 stainless pipes They will be the revised coolant lines, After the bulkhead is finished I will break out the tubing bender and have at it with the stainless routed roughly where they rest. Lots of bends planned. Will be a few weeks before I do some bending.

Joe

Nu Joisey

Attachments:
Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: February 16, 2021 05:46AM

It sits behind the main air dam , cant really be seen when the car is sitting on the ground. A splitter/spoiler like Joes would be great but it would be tough to get that past tech at a Vintage race.

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Attachments:
Date: February 16, 2021 06:15AM

That is the same idea that GM used on my 3rd gen firebird to help with cooling. Great Idea.

-Tom

86' BMW 325es
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2021 06:18AM by toms73novass.

Date: February 16, 2021 05:18PM

Thanks for posting the photo, Mike (v8vair).

As we know, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Springfest Webmaster

Date: February 20, 2021 06:01PM

Brent with Cotton Custom Metals fabricated a new air exhaust housing this past week, so I installed it for test fitting today.

Had to cut more of the trunk for relief to fit the squared-up bottom.

While taking photos of the bottom of the exhaust housing, I measured and discovered that the bottom of the radiator including the support extends down 2 inches in front of the air exhaust opening which makes me wonder if that will be good enough to create a low pressure area to allow better hot air evacuation.

What say you, Mike Levine? (v8vair)

Installed the rivnuts and then installed the sheet metal piece that forms the bottom of the air intake just in front of the radiator.

Tomorrow the plan is to replace the regular torque converter with a high-stall torque converter...

Stay tuned.smoking smiley

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Springfest Webmaster

Date: February 21, 2021 04:22PM

Replaced the stock torque converter with a "new" high stall torque converter from Clarks.

I was so intent on getting the new one installed that I neglected to get photos of it on the shaft before reassembling both halves...eye rolling smiley

Thanks to Jim Stukenborg for the inspiration and to Ken Arnold for the tech expertise and guidance!

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Springfest Webmaster

Current Page: 22 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.