Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: 65 V8 Coupe w/Buick 215 - Racecar to Streetcar Build smoking smiley
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 29, 2019 05:29PM

So glad to see you've moved it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: November 30, 2019 06:30PM

Dean,
Is Craig's harness exclusively for the rear engine V-8? I bought the reverse rotation cam from him, but he didn't mention a new loom. Still looking for the distributor gears, please keep a lookout for me.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: December 01, 2019 03:59AM

Scott,

To better answer your question, I'm posting the email conversation between me and Craig. Hopefully, Craig will chime in too.

Me
Craig,

I would like your recommendation on which one to purchase from you (the 65-66 or the 67-69) for the 65 Monza Coupe with the Buick 215.

Which do you recommend based upon the following:
Replacing the 65 long steel shaft steering column with the 68 collapsible column
Relocating the battery to the trunk
After-market heat/AC unit
Buying all new wiring harnesses from Clarks
After-market gauges from Speedhut or Dakota Digital

Thanks,

Craig
Hi Dean,
Between the two (65-6 and '67-9) I'd suggest the '67-9 because it will have the jumper to use the board's flasher for hazard lights. On the '65-6 model, the on-board flasher is not used because the flasher is separate, near the steering column. You mentioned you're getting new harnesses from Clarks. Are you skipping the dash-harness in your order? The repro harness includes a new, stock fuse panel.
If you're looking to do the dash harness on your own (likely given the aftermarket gauges and equipment) and you're looking for more fuse capacity, there's a third option. I'm making an 11-fuse panel that fits the same footprint. What do you give-up for the two extra fuses?: The separate instrument light fuse and the flexibility of the on-board relay. Were you planning on using the on-board relay for an accessory? That's still possible with the WB-17, it just takes a bit more electrical cleverness. Here's a link to it: http://www.racersrods.com/category-s/1828.htm
With the WB 17, you get 11 fuses to use as you wish and flashers for both signals and hazards. The WB-15 dedicated one fuse to panel lights so you really only have 8 available fuses with it. If it were me, I'd use an inline fuse for panel lights and go with the "17" for its extra fuses and dual flashers... unless you already have a major use in mind for the relay, in which case I'd suggest the '67-9 model WB-15.
Craig

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 01, 2019 09:16PM

scottymac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dean,
> Is Craig's harness exclusively for the rear engine V-8? I bought the reverse rotation cam from him, but he didn't mention a new loom. Still looking for the distributor gears, please keep a lookout for me.

Hi Scott,
I don't make "harnesses", I make modern fuse panels to fit stock Corvairs. In addition, I make other fuse panel models used in the custom car and street rod market. Dean and I landed on one of the latter models and he wanted to install it in the trunk. Together we're developing an instruction sheet for that combination.

Like Dean and likely you in the future, I have a rear BOP V8. My rear engine harness is pretty close to stock Corvair because my starter, alternator, and coil are in pretty much the same place as a stock Corvair. I added three extra wires to the front; tachometer, oil pressure, and water temperature to operate the gauges in my Corsa dash. (My car is a Monza).

By the time Dean is done, I will have instructions for installation of my 11-fuse street rod panel in a '67-9 harness. Once that's done it won't be too hard to rewrite for 65-66 models.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: December 02, 2019 12:01PM

All makes sense now, Craig, had no idea you were involved in that segment of the hobby. Hopefully, one of these days, I'll be contacting you for a similar product. Thank you very much, Dean and Craig!

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: December 08, 2019 05:02PM

A friend with much better welding skills than me stopped by and cut out the 65 steering column upper dash bracket and welded in the 68 bracket to allow for the installation of the collapsible 68 steering column

Third photo is the 65 bracket section that was cut out and behind that is the back support metal that was originally tack-welded to the 68 bracket section that was purchased from a Corvair used parts vendor.

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: December 09, 2019 06:32AM

I can't see much difference. Can you explain what the differences are?

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: December 09, 2019 09:59AM

The mounting bolts are further apart (wider) in '67 thru '9.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 09, 2019 10:43AM

What Rex wrote plus the column itself is larger in diameter as I recall.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: December 09, 2019 08:01PM

The tube is the same diameter as the '65-'66 columns but the turn signal switch, upper end is bigger. There is a window/notch on the bottom of the instrument bezel that clears where the column bolts up that might be wider on the '67 and later ones. I have seen Corsa dashes installed in '67 and later cars with no apparent problems.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.