Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: High Stall Torque Converter - broken starter nose
Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: October 08, 2018 03:33AM

Just a quick note to give this thread a wrap. I checked everything and everything seemed fine except for the fact that the stock starters were turning rather slowly so maybe my battery was not fully up to the task And making them work too hard on the newly rebuilt slightly tight engine.

I did install the high torque starter and I bought a diode wire from Summit racing for about 20 bucks and installed. New high torque starter starts the car instantly with no strange noises whatsoever .

Super easy to install since the body of the starter is small and you can actually reach in and start the top bolt with your hand.

Very happy with the high torque starter, not so happy with the pile of stock starters with broken noses.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Corvairs in two states of the Union and varying states of disarray.

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 08, 2018 03:47AM

If they are good ones, just advertise them here for sale for a reasonable price and people having a bad one will grab them up. simpler and hopefully cheaper to change a nose on a starter than buy a replacement. Take the nose off and put in a beefed up large USPS flat rate box to ship.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: October 08, 2018 08:25AM

A few months back my 65 monza,140,pg was eating starters.The flywheel teeth were not looking good also.I pulled the powerpack and found extreme corrosion between the bell housing and the transaxle.This was causing a misalignment of the parts to the extent that the starter(s) and flywheel were damaged.The car had sat for 15 years before I bouoght it.I think the rodent feces and urine attacked the bell housing as there was evidence of nesting in that area.This caused a swelling of the bell housing pushing it away from the transaxle.I cleaned everything up,installed a good starter with good used torque converter and all is well.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.