Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Soda Blasting-A Less Messy Alternative To Sandblasting?
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: August 10, 2018 09:28AM

I need to sandblast the battery tray area on my 62 Spyder, and the inner rear fenders on my 65 Monza. Obviously sandblasting makes a huge sandy mess, I just did the windshield frame on my 1984 Suburban, whadamess. Is soda blasting just less abrasive and you end up with a baking soda mess?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Soda Blasting-A Less Messy Alternative To Sandblasting?
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: August 10, 2018 09:39AM

UGLYTRUK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Is soda blasting just less abrasive and
> you end up with a baking soda mess?

Yes, but the soda you can wash away with water.....

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 10, 2018 02:59PM

May not penetrate the paint they used on the battery tray, if there is any left

Today We had a hard time getting the gloss black paint off the headlight mounts. We had to scrape it first to remove the top layer then bead blast went fairly easily at 100 psi and 11 cfm.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: chris ()
Date: August 10, 2018 03:04PM

I found soda blasting to work well for getting carbon off the tops of pistons. However, like Al said, I don't know if it'd be abrasive enough for the battery tray. Only one way to find out!

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Date: August 10, 2018 07:54PM

I have a medium sized pressurized "Sandy Jet(?) sandblaster. Do I just use the soda instead of sand? My nozzle is maybe 3/16". And there is zero paint in the battery tray area, just light to medium rust. Presumably the soda is far less abrasive then the sand/black beauty product I use. It resembles beach sand, rather fine. I buy it at Tractor Supply.

Date: August 10, 2018 08:28PM

I had to buy a soda blaster setup. Different nozzle due to media difference. You would have find a way to slow down the delivery of the powder. Most sandblsster guns are 15 cfm, which would use up your soda fast.

The HF unit I bought (with 20% off coupon) has an adjustable nozzle from 0 to 8.5 cfm. It worked great cleaning the Mouse House 110 engine.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: August 10, 2018 09:01PM

You may find that for an equivalent amount of cleaning, that simply turning down the pressure for the nozzle and using sand ends up with less mess than higher pressure and soda (or some other lighter media), as you might not have to keep going over the same area with the heavier sand. Years ago, I sand blasted part of my rear fender on my "other" Spyder using a aircraft mechanic's sandblaster, and he did turn the pressure way down. It took hardly anytime at all to strip the rust with NO warping and the mess was minimal. I was surprised at how easy and quick it was to do it like that, and how little mess there was afterwards. Something to think about!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 10, 2018 09:21PM

I have 2 blasting cabs, big one at the ranch has coarse grit for heavy rusted steel parts and the soda blast cab is for delicate aluminum parts, work great for carbs, even the floats shine, I blast all the aluminum Corvair stuff in the soda, engine cases and PG trans cases.

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:
Date: August 11, 2018 03:12AM

I have "turned down" the sandblaster as my small air compressor runs out of air. I guess I'll have to try the soda blasting. Do I need a different nozzle? Does it not cake? In the tank...

Date: August 11, 2018 04:49AM

You need a compressor that can deliver. A 4.0 cfm compressor will disappoint as it will not do the job as it can't keep up. A 8.5 will be adequate in most cases. Tank size is also a factor. 15 gallon not do any good blasting. 29 gallon or better.

Find someone with a big compressor who can help out, if you don't want to invest in the right compressor.

Or be very patient and do small blasts and let compressor catch up each time you blast.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: August 11, 2018 06:03AM

I just recently sandblasted the area in the far rear inner fender area on the LM. It's to tight to grind anything there. Used a hopper type HF gun with their 80 grit glass. Considering it was in my shop on the lift the mess was manageable. Worked pretty good as well. Photos of after sanding and grinding, rust paint and final rocker schutz.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe

Attachments:

Date: August 11, 2018 07:05AM

It is wonder what tarps can do to corral sand when you are blasting outside a cabinet.

I use a 12 x 18 tarp and fence posts to make a container to put my work in along with the 5 gallon sand bucket and blast gun. Hose is draped in and attached to one of the fence posts. When I run low on sand, I use a street broom to sweep it up. Then I screen it back into the bucket. Only added equipment is a full face mask and breathing mask.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: jbond ()
Date: August 11, 2018 04:19PM

I have a soda blaster. I blast in in back yard. The trouble with soda is that the resulting dust cloud drifts a long way. I have to watch the wind direction and be sure the wind isn't going to blow the soda dust towards the neighbors behind us. When I do soda blast, my truck 150 feet away will get coated with soda dust. The garage next to where I blast of course is coated and I have to pressure wash it afterwards. Soda is much messier (dustier) than sand.

Herb
Corvairless now

Posted by: jbond ()
Date: August 11, 2018 04:19PM

I have a soda blaster. I blast in in back yard. The trouble with soda is that the resulting dust cloud drifts a long way. I have to watch the wind direction and be sure the wind isn't going to blow the soda dust towards the neighbors behind us. When I do soda blast, my truck 150 feet away will get coated with soda dust. The garage next to where I blast of course is coated and I have to pressure wash it afterwards. Soda is much messier (dustier) than sand.

Herb
Corvairless now

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.