Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT - Stolen 1938 Talbot Lago resurfaces, Lawsuit ensues.
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 08, 2018 05:46PM

Interesting.
I guess different states have different rules regarding this sort of thing.

> > > 1938 Talbot Lago classic car < < <

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Stolen 1938 Talbot Lago resurfaces, Lawsuit ensues.
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 08, 2018 06:06PM

Hard to believe a court could rule that way when someone has a TITLE..in the state of the court!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: August 08, 2018 06:22PM

It reminds me of the story of the guy in Oregon who owned a 70 Plymouth Cuda that was stolen from his garage only to find the car again and had to fight to get it back. [www.autoblog.com]

He eventually got his car back but man it was a struggle even though he had the title to it!! [moparconnectionmagazine.com]

Lee J

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: August 08, 2018 08:02PM

The arm of the law is long.

Many years ago, I attended a federal car auction of an convicted drug dealer. Three cars; 1963 Corvette, 1983 Porsche 911 coupe and a Pontiac GTO were up for auction.

I attended the preview day and was reviewing the 911. It was a combination of at least two cars. The body was a 1972 body with late bumpers, interior and powertrain. There were several other visual differences but the VIN tag was obvious for being in the wrong location on door lock post.

I looked for the hidden VIN in front trunk and it was totally different than the VIN tag on door post. After pointing out these errors in the car to a federal marshal he immediately pulled the car from the sale. I asked him what would have happened if the car had been purchased and he said that if the new owner was stopped by an officer or checked during annual state inspection the current owner would have seen the car impounded, lost compensation value and the car's ownership would revert to the insurance company that paid off the loss. The car would then probably be scrapped so not even parts would be sold. The last owner would have to sue someone to recover his investment.

I was told the Feds were not responsible for checking the cars validity at a Federal Auction, so that falls on the shoulders of the potential buyer. The marshal made no comment on a limit of the felony and recognized the ownership of the insurance company, which suffered the loss, after paying off the loss to the original legitimate owner.

Jimc
1965 Corsa
HACOA Member

CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 08:03PM by jimc.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 09, 2018 01:35AM

My x owned a 1964 GTO that was stolen, and when it was recovered, for some reason the state police failed to notify her. Her insurance company paid the loss, and took the title. About 4 years later, she got a call from the state police impound yard, asking if she wanted the car back. We contacted the insurance company, that said the file was not available, and probably was so buried that it wouldn't ever see the light of day again. Told her that she could keep the car, but we never claimed it, since the NJ title had been turned over to the insurance company, and the only way to get another title, was to apply for a lost title. Had she taken the car, and gotten a lost title, she might have opened herself to a criminal violation. I can only assume that they scrapped the car, or sold it at auction, with a abandoned vehicle title. This was around 1970, long before they ever had any great amount of value.
There have been a number of stolen car / recovered cases in the news in the last few years, and it all depends on the states how they handle the case. Most times, if the owner received the value of the car from the insurance company, they let the then current owner keep the car. In this case, there was no insurance payoff, so my guess is that the State Supreme Court is going to return the car to its rightful owner, which is the way that it should be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.