Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Carburetors
Posted by: cepak ()
Date: August 09, 2018 10:56AM

Several years ago I bought a rebuilt set from Wolf, then two months afterward I had Steve Goodman fix them for me. The second set I just had Steve Goodman rebuild them for me.

Tom Cepak
DFW, TX

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: red monza ()
Date: August 09, 2018 02:37PM

I usually try and hit the jet lightly after putting WD-40 in the black/silver can, which I find is the best rust and removing the bolt helper. Then if that does not bring the jet and it usually does not, then I use a 1/4 inch drill bit and a #2 easy out. I drill it almost to the the edge but leave a little meat on it. Then the easy out brings it quickly. About 10 min and I am done. The ones in Quadrajets usually come pretty easy as compared to the Corvair jets. My comment was really to say you really need to be careful here as those threads are critical, not that its hard to do... I prefer not to use a sledge hammer on that aluminum housing...LOL. The only thing I use the big hammer on and the hammmer screw remover on is 60 year old door hinge screws trying to get a door off, most are like they are welded...it does work good on that. But I have had to drill those also.

I have had to solder up the floats before...not easy getting all the gas out of them but a good heat gun/I prefer a real small torch.. and you are okay.That tells you where the micro size hole/holes are. You can also sink the floats in a bowl of warm water to find the hole. The carbs I have put in new throttle shafts became fairly tight again. Have never had to re-drill the carb. Actually, a loose shaft really only affects the idle...but on a Corvair that can be important but you can work around that also by fudging a little on the idle setting. I also like to put on those throttle springs that Clark's sell...but they really need to be stronger in my opinion. I had to put in additional springs on my 140 secondary carbs. It idled and ran much better after the extra springs.

Anyway, the carbs are not that hard to do. On my 66, there are TWO...TWO...very very small micro size holes coming from the power valve ...real easy to miss cleaning those holes out. I think on the 64, there is only one hole.But I would look for two just in case. The most time consuming part is cleaning the carb. On that Quadrajet, took us about 5-6 hours to take it off, apart, clean it real good and put it all back together. 80% of that time was CLEANING and finding the dropped in the floor springs that can get away...LOL.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 09, 2018 03:16PM

Now you've jinxed me. I've never had an issue getting the jets out but I can see I'll be having to drill them every time now.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 10, 2018 05:18AM

I have a screwdriver just for main jets. Sometimes I put the carb in the vice to hold it and put a vicegrip on the screwdriver handle. I can really bear down on the screwdriver while turning. I agree with the hammer whacking. I have heated the carb body a few times with propane torch. It's all over but the drilling if I lose the screwdriver slot.

The throttle shaft screws can be a bugger if half of the head breaks off at the slot. Tough to drill out.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: August 10, 2018 06:00AM

I agree 100% Jim...that is the worse nightmare with re-doing a Corvair carb is removing the butterflies from the throttle shaft to replace it and the heads mess up because someone used the wrong loctite or put too much pressure installing them and only 1/2 of the screw head is there. I think on one carb, I had to cut the throttle shaft and remove it in pieces.

To hold the carb down to work on it, I have drilled a hole in my work bench and use a bolt and nut like it was in the car and on the other side, I have a screw at an angle to wedge the carb...NO CARB IN MY VICE.They are now telling you, put the master cylinder in a vice and hold it by the base that mounts it to the car/booster to bleed it...that holding it by its barrel in the vice WARPS it...huuummm.

Joel, I do use VOO-DOO. Sharpen that 1/4 inch drill bit, you will now need it everytime.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 10, 2018 06:30AM

You are my new nemesis.

Posted by: Yellow ()
Date: August 11, 2018 09:26AM

A small note from a TOTAL NEW GUY. Get the Bob Helt Carburetor Book! I found I had a 65 and 66 carb on my EM. Made a huge difference in adjusting them as they were very different. I'd attempt a rebuild after reading that book. thumbs up

62 Monza Convertible w/64 Differential and transverse spring
Orange County CA

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: August 11, 2018 10:36AM

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I use my Hitachi, cordless impact driver to remove main jets and the screws on the throttle shaft. Just be sure to get the largest screwdriver bit possible for the main jet.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: August 12, 2018 05:19PM

Well, my carb book arrived. I would like to thank the late Bob Helt for all of the time and passion he clearly put into his work. I feel very confident that I can rebuild carbs with no problems... except one. My matched set of '64 carbs are in extremely bad shape. The pair of carbs on the car now are mismatched. One is a '63 and the other is a '65. I need a matched pair worth rebuilding.

Does anyone have a matched pair of carbs that need rebuilding that they would sell? The book says that '66-'67 are best, but '65's are good as well. Honestly, anything '64 and up would be fine if they were a matched pair.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 12, 2018 05:30PM

John:

I have 3 I took to Helen and brought back. Let me run out there and shoot a photo of them. They are not 66 or later as I am using all I have of them. They may be 65s.

I have a couple of 64? that one bowl is gouged but the other carb is good. Came of the Greenbrier. Can't vouch for year of carbs since the drivetrain did not match the van.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: August 12, 2018 08:00PM

John:

Couldn't find them tonight in the container. Found my spare 66s. I know I have 3 others. I will look tomorrow morning.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Date: August 13, 2018 04:49AM

John:

I have a 63 that I can clean up externally for you and you do the rest internally. That will give you a matched set. It was on a car parked in a dealers field for 30 years, so it may be a challenge. All linkages are free to operate. The ones off a 65 we did recently cleaned up nice and waiting to run on Greenbrier. Though I did have some challenges also.

PM me and we can discuss the carb.

I also have a 1961 carb that I don't need, if anyone else is interested. Got to move it. Taking up space.

PM me, for details and photos (pre and post external cleaning).

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Date: August 13, 2018 05:09AM

I saw the posts on how to hold the carb body while working on it.

Thanks, guys for an idea that popped into my old head. The heads of the Hurricane 140 will be dismantled for parts. Then the intakes will be sawn off to use in a vise to hold the carb body. Then each carb pad will be sawn away from the other. Voila, 4 carb body holding units.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 13, 2018 07:37AM

Go for it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 2manyvairs ()
Date: August 13, 2018 08:10PM

Most important thing is to be sure you have a matched pair. Not just by year only but check all the bleeds and orifices to be sure. Having a '65 95 auto on 1 bank and '65 140 manual on the other doesn't work well either. Since most of the ID tags are long gone I measure everything to be sure of what's what.

Jeff

1960 700 sedan - blue, #1819
1962 Monza sedan - black w/red cloth interior daily driver
1962 Monza coupe - silver blue/blue 4spd
1963 Greenbrier - standard, "Turdbrier"
1963 Monza cvt - Ivy Green/Fawn It's NOT red !!
1964 Monza coupe - red/black, 95hp pg, 54k miles 3rd owner
1964 Spyder cvt - Blk/Red It's NOT red either !!
1965 Monza ht - retired daily driver, the storage shed
1965 Corsa 140 ht - all good except for how it looks.
1965 Corsa 180 cvt - well, a perfect body at least.
1966 Corsa 140 ht - Red/Red, Canadian w/factory headrests & oil bath,

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 13, 2018 09:30PM

I just clamp two bolts in the vise to mount carburetors and other objects I do not want to crush....

Then there is the box of 2 x 4 & 2 x 6 scraps I keep for building holding jigs all the time.....

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.