Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
New Member : SPARK PLUG GAP CORVAIR
Posted by: ELFLIPPO72 ()
Date: August 07, 2018 10:13AM

ALL MOST ALL CORVAIR SERVICE MANUALS LIST THE SPARK PLUG GAP AS .030-.035.HOWEVER, MY 1962-63 ORIGINAL CORVAIR MANUAL STATES .023-.028, USING AC44FF OR AC46FF SPARK PLUGS....VOLKSWAGON RECOMMENDS .025, AND ALL MOTORCYCLES WITH POINT IGNITION USE A .020-.028 GAP....THESE ARE ALL AIR COOLED MOTORS...I HAVE FOUND THE BEST SPARK PLUG THAT IS CLOSEST TO THE ORIGINAL AC IS NGK B5HS..NGK HAS A RANGE OF PLUGS B5HS TO B9HS, OR BR4HS TO BR10HS..YOU CAN USE HOT TO COLD PLUG RANGES DEPENDING ON MOTOR CONDITIONS...B5HS BEING THE HOTTER PLUG, B9HS THE COLDER....ALWAYS USE A NON RESISTOR PLUG FOR CORVAIRS WITH POINT OR PETRONIX IGNITION...RESISITOR PLUGS DONT HAVE THE SPARK THAT NON RESISTORS DO...IF YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT UPSETTING YOUR NEIGHBORS TV, RELUCTANTLY USE RESISTOR...I USE A B5HS PLUG WITH A .028 GAP USING PETRONIX IGNITION...THE COIL I USE IS RECOMMENDED FOR THIS APPLICATION...THIS IS FOR A 1963 CORVAIR MONZA 102 HP..THE COLOR OF THE PLUG IS CHOCOLATE BROWN, AND THE TIMING IS SET AT 12 DEGREES BTDC..THIS IS WHAT WORKS FOR ME...ANOTHER NOTE REGARDING OIL...I HAVE HEARD DONT USE MOTORCYCLE OIL..WHY? MOTORCYCLES WITH AIR COOLING GENERATE MORE HEAT THAN LIQUID COOLED BIKES...AND THEY HAVE ZINC TO KEEP THE VALVES COOL.THEREFORE, I USE YAMAHA 10/40 IN MY 63 VAIR...JUST A OBSERVATION..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 12:06PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SPARK PLUG GAP CORVAIR
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 07, 2018 10:25AM

"...RESISITOR PLUGS DONT HAVE THE SPARK THAT NON RESISTORS DO...IF YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT UPSETTING YOUR NEIGHBORS TV, RELUCTANTLY USE RESISTOR..."

Reminded me of when I was a kid.
I had an old Cougar.
When I tuned it up I installed non-resistor plugs, and metal core plug wires.
The guy I bought them from told me that I couldn't use them on the street.
They worked just fine for me on the street! grinning smiley
But I do recall that other drivers around me seemed to have a lot of trouble with their radios, when ever we were sitting at stoplights. eye rolling smiley

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Re: SPARK PLUG GAP CORVAIR
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 07, 2018 11:50AM

Welcome to the CCF! Tell us where in NY you are... lots of Vairs near you I'm sure!

As always, pics of you and your cars would be great! Did you know about / attend the CORSA International Convention a few weeks ago in Pittsburgh, Pa.?? We've got lots of pics here..

You are correct "IMO" on Plugs.... I use NGK's as well 6 or 7's for my cars on the Oregon coast.

Gap is determined by how much can you run without misses or fouling This depends on your coil. Why you really do not need to worry about resistor plugs. We do know that our STOCK ignitions do not like Platinum... foul real easy...but a few here with mod'd ignitions even use Iridiums.. for long life in Turbos..

You've got "Zinc" and LEAD mixed...

Zinc is in oils...protect Cam lobes and lifters...not really a problem in Street Vairs... Spring pressures are LOW... under 200 psi fully open. Modified heads for racers may see 300-500 psi. I couldn't find API specs for Yamalube...only the JASCO info...

I use Walmart's Super Tech.... no "Starburst" symbol.

Lead was used to coat / cushion / cool Valves... outlawed now..

All aluminum heads have STEEL seats...so no need to "cushion".

If you want to coat your valves for the heat insulation add 1 pint of any ATF / Hydraulic oil to each fillup / 10 gals. usually.. Tanks are 14 but gauges show empty at 4-5 for safety...

As far as the 1960's manuals.... much has changed since then...so anything that works..goes!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Re: New Member : SPARK PLUG GAP CORVAIR
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 07, 2018 12:30PM

Thanks Matt for correcting some old myths.

Resistor plugs were not used on the Corvair because the engine shrouds cancel out EMF noise (radio noise) and the non resistor plugs were a little less expensive (a few cents a car adds up when you build hundreds of thousands). If you have a proper functioning coil a resistance plug does not impact performance.

AMel got me chuckling, but fact is solid copper core wires actually have losses due to radio energy (EMF) generation and THEY WILL either damage or interfere with modern electronic ignitions.

Some of the newer cars use counter spiral wound spark plug wires the cancel EMF and are low resistance compared to the old fiberglass carbon wires used up to about the 80's

If the engine does not misfire at maximum RPM and load the ignition system is fine. Yes you can spend a lot of money to gain a couple of HP - free country.

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: August 07, 2018 12:35PM

That Yamaha oil is likely similar to other motorcycle oils and has additives for the wet clutch and transmission that share the engine oil. Not sure if it's a bad thing, as I have done zero research, but it might be something to look into more. Modern engineers are pretty smart and when they design a product for A, it usually means it's a poor fit for B.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 08, 2018 06:31AM

I switched from Bosch W8AC (7902) to NGK B6HS (7534) and have been gapping them to .030. I plan to use B5HS in 80 HP or 95 HP.
I was happy with Bosch but switched due to local availability at O'Reilly and NAPA.
I haven't gotten any of the NGK installed Corvairs back to see how they're doing, "no news is good news"?

I sure have trouble reading a message in ALL CAPS, not enough contrast for my brain to decipher, so I can only comment on the title.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: ELFLIPPO72 ()
Date: August 08, 2018 07:49AM

ADDENDUM TO USING YAMAHA/YAMALUBE 10/40 OIL IN CORVAIRS...FIRST, ACCORDING TO MATTNALL, I GOT THE TERM LEAD AND ZINC MIXED UP. ... HONDA, SUZUKI, KAWASAKI AND YAMAHA MULTI VISCOCITY MOTORCYCLE OILS WERE ALL MANUFACTURED BY CITYS SERVICE/CITGO, AND THE ONLY DIFFERENCE WAS THE PACKAGING.....AND YES, THESE OILS HAVE POLYMERS IN IT FOR CLUTCH AND TRANSMISSION....IF YOU ADD MARVEL MYSTERY OIL TO THE CRANKCASE OF YOUR NO STARBURST ENGINE OIL, YOU PROBABLY HAVE CLOSE TO WHAT THE MOTORCYCLE OIL HAS IN IT AS MENTIONED.....ANOTHER POINT, I USE SUNOCO 90 NON ETHANOL GAS IN MY VAIRS....GAS WITH ETHANOL CAUSES MOTORS TO RUN HOTTER AND HAS RUINED/BLOWN UP MANY A AIR COOLED ENGINE.......ETHANOL ATTRACTS MOISTURE, AND I HAVE CLEANED MANY A CARB THAT PLUGS THE PASSAGEWAYS WITH A GREEN HARD SUBSTANCE...MORE OBSERVATIONS......

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: August 08, 2018 08:07AM

ELFLIPPO72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ADDENDUM TO USING YAMAHA/YAMALUBE 10/40 OIL IN
> CORVAIRS...FIRST, ACCORDING TO MATTNALL, I GOT THE
> TERM LEAD AND ZINC MIXED UP. ... HONDA, SUZUKI,
> KAWASAKI AND YAMAHA MULTI VISCOCITY MOTORCYCLE
> OILS WERE ALL MANUFACTURED BY CITYS SERVICE/CITGO,
> AND THE ONLY DIFFERENCE WAS THE PACKAGING.....AND
> YES, THESE OILS HAVE POLYMERS IN IT FOR CLUTCH AND
> TRANSMISSION....IF YOU ADD MARVEL MYSTERY OIL TO
> THE CRANKCASE OF YOUR NO STARBURST ENGINE OIL, YOU
> PROBABLY HAVE CLOSE TO WHAT THE MOTORCYCLE OIL HAS
> IN IT AS MENTIONED.....ANOTHER POINT, I USE SUNOCO
> 90 NON ETHANOL GAS IN MY VAIRS....GAS WITH ETHANOL
> CAUSES MOTORS TO RUN HOTTER AND HAS RUINED/BLOWN
> UP MANY A AIR COOLED ENGINE.......ETHANOL ATTRACTS
> MOISTURE, AND I HAVE CLEANED MANY A CARB THAT
> PLUGS THE PASSAGEWAYS WITH A GREEN HARD
> SUBSTANCE...MORE OBSERVATIONS......

First off, please take your caps lock off. No need to make that block of text that much harder to read.

Secondly, you have any data for ethanol in fuel causing "ruined/blown up" air cooled engine? I have run thousands of miles with ethanol fuels and never noticed a significant change in cylinder head temps (using the more accurate than stock CHT-100 sold by Clarks). I would love to see data or proof of ethanol causing the problems you describe.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 08, 2018 08:38AM

ELFLIPPO72 You may have been reading a lot of "speculation" about fuels and oils.

I know of a lot of Corvairs using low ZDP modern 10W30 motor oil and run on Premium gasoline with ethanol that have no issues.

NONE HAS BLOWN UP.

One of the greatest tragedies of life is the murder of a beautiful theory by a gang of brutal facts.
– Benjamin Franklin

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: August 08, 2018 09:09AM

Elflippo72: don't believe everything you read. I drive a Corvair everyday and use the ethanol fuel all the time. My commute from home to shop is 15 miles and some at 70+mph every day plus anywhere else I drive. My engines are all intact after years of doing this.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: August 08, 2018 09:25AM

Here is where I think you may be mistaken with the ethanol fuels and the heat idea.

Ethanol if let sit for long periods in a carb can cause some corrosion. It this persists for a period of time it can cause a reduction in the main jet diameter due to clogging/buildup. (This part of the carb and idle jet circuitry are really the only parts of the carb that are always bathed in fuel, the upper parts usually drain back some when not used) As a result it will cause the engine to go lean which will cause excessive heat and can lead to engine destruction.

Ethanol itself actually burns cooler than gasoline.

If driven regularly it should not be an issue, if stored for months on end an ethanol treatment can be added to negate the issue along with general fuel stabilizer.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 09:29AM by toms73novass.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.