Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT...synthetic oil life in modern car
Posted by: curt ()
Date: August 06, 2018 01:30PM

I have a new Mazda CX5, book calls for oil changes every 5,000 miles, refill with Synthetic oil. Is this too long between changes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT...synthetic oil life in modern car
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: August 06, 2018 01:50PM

Sounds pretty standard for new cars.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: August 06, 2018 02:49PM

Most cars now are calling for 10,000 mile changes when using Synthetic oil. The oil monitor lamps usually illuminate at around 10,000 miles. Mobil is advertising that Mobil 1 will now go 20,000 miles. Originally they advertised it at 25,000 miles. All my customers with conventional oil we recommend 5,000 miles and 10,000 with synthetic.

Posted by: LesH ()
Date: August 06, 2018 02:52PM

5,000 miles? That seems like a lot. Even my motorcycle only calls for changes every 10,000 km (6,200 miles).

All my vehicles (other than the dirt bike) are on a 10k km oil change interval, even my 2003 Ford pickup. Oil analysis from these engines and oils prove that 10k km is still very safe.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: August 06, 2018 03:06PM

I seem to think that the 3000 mile oil change was something the oil companies and lube shops that want you to change it more frequently than needed promoted.
Just for grins, I did a quickie search and found a few articles that appear to support that thought.

[www.cars.com] Below is a cut and paste of part of this article"

"CARS.COM — If you drive, you've probably been told that you need an oil change every 3,000 miles. This is a widely accepted standard when it comes to oil changes, but do you really need to change your engine oil after traveling exactly 3,000 miles?

The answer is conclusive: No, you don't, according to every auto manufacturer we've talked to. The main advocates of the 3,000-mile oil-change schedule are those who would profit by it: repair facilities, quick-lube chains and service departments at some new-car dealers. Recommended oil-change intervals actually vary greatly from one vehicle manufacturer to enough, so it is always best to familiarize yourself with your owner's manual to keep up with recommended maintenance.
How Often Do You Need to Change Your Oil, Then?

Years ago, it was a good idea to change your engine oil and oil filter frequently, but because of advances in engine materials and tighter tolerances, as well as the oil that goes into engines, most manufacturers recommend intervals of 7,500 miles or more.

Ford, Volkswagen and Porsche, for example, recommend oil changes every 10,000 miles. So does Toyota on several engines, including the Prius' 1.8-liter four-cylinder and the Camry's 2.5-liter four-cylinder. BMW says owners can go up to 15,000 miles between oil changes (with synthetic oil).

The intervals vary by manufacturer and engines, so consult your owner's manual or maintenance schedule to see how often to change the oil in your vehicle and what type of oil to use. You may be surprised. (We were surprised to learn that the Camry's 2.5-liter engine requires 0W20 synthetic oil, for instance.)

Manufacturers suggest you change oil more often for "severe" driving conditions, such as frequent trailer towing, extensive stop-go driving or idling in traffic, driving in extreme heat or cold, or frequent short-distance driving in which the engine doesn't reach full operating temperature."

Here are some additional articles for those who might wish different sources and points of view:

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.scientificamerican.com]

[www.nytimes.com]

[clark.com]

[www.edmunds.com]

[auto.howstuffworks.com]

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2018 03:09PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: August 06, 2018 04:33PM

A lot of this depends also on the frequency. If you only drive 1000 miles a year, waiting until you've racked up 3000 miles might be way too long to keep an oil. On the other hand, if you drive 20,000 miles per year, going 10,000 miles would seem reasonable. Mobil 1 is advertising their oil is good for 20,000 miles guaranteed............but how good is that warranty ? Compared to an engine rebuild, oil is relatively cheap.

On the subject of oil, a recent very detailed engineering study by an independent engineer found some of the top oils to be Mobil 1, Valvoline, Delo 400, and Shell. The tests conducted looked at short and long term usage, reduced friction leading to better performance, and the ability to endure high temps. Basically, buy good oil and reduce your chances of premature failure.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: August 06, 2018 06:05PM

I look at it this way, if you follow the manufacturer's recommendations, you are safe. You know they built-in a "fudge-factor" with their recommendations, and they don't want cars coming back with engine issues under warranty. My 2011 Honda, I really don't know the frequency, I think it is around 7500 miles, I change it (0W-20) when the service light comes on showing around 10% remaining life. I have had a ton of cars, but this is the only car I bought new, and intend to keep it until it literally falls apart. So I just change it when the light comes on. You can change it more often if you want, but with today's syn oils, you are just wasting money.

65 Crown Hardtop

Huntsville, AL

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: August 06, 2018 06:27PM

There are fudge factors and dealer factors. Most dealers I know won't go past 5000 Km because they want the cars in for checkups and sales, charging an arm and a leg.

I use PAO Synthetic 5W-30 (the real synthetic) in my Grand Cherokee, and go 15,000 km, one year, or when the light comes on. Light has only come on once, and it was around the time I would have changed it anyway.

I have analysed the oil and it is fine. My driving in it is a combination of 1.5 mile commutes 4 times a day, and 450 mile mountain treks. Since I send 40 to 60 samples a month to the lab, it doesn't cost much to throw another in.

I use and recommend 8000 km changes for my normal semi-synthetic for my fleet and all customers (with engines in good shape), although there are some taxi fleets doing 14,000 to 16,000 with the oil still in good shape, according to analysis.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: August 06, 2018 06:34PM

Many things have changed in the auto world since the Corvair was first introduced.

It used to be that 100K miles was spectacular engine life.

Today, 200k miles is a minimum expectation. No matter how abusive the driver is.

Emissions requirements have driven this improvement. Software engineer management has vastly improved engine performance and emissions. At the same time, fuel formulation has been vastly tightened.

Net results are a vastly more uniform combustion and optomised combustion process due to a much more uniform fuel standard.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: August 07, 2018 05:21AM

Lets get a history lesson. What has changed since the mid 70's? They took the lead out of the gasoline. Lead wore out spark plugs and fouled them. The lead would also be introduced into the oil. Lead is not a lubricant! There were other things that got into the oil and the oil of that day was not equipped to handle to to much contaminate.

Fast forward to today, there is no lead in today's gasoline and the gasoline is a lot cleaner than it was way back then. What does this mean? Less contaminates in the oil. Does oil wear out? Only if you overheat it or it gets dirty and loses additives.

This even applies to our Corvairs and about the only thing we have to worry about is overheating the oil.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: August 07, 2018 05:58AM

My 2008 Scion xD requires an oil change every 5000 miles with 0W 20 synthetic.

Newer cars have tighter tolerances requiring thinner oils.
Right now synthetics are the only oils in 0 weight.

My Scion engine could also run 5W 20 which I have found dino versions of.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: August 07, 2018 06:46AM

My Honda Accord V6 uses 0w-20. I just take it to the dealer when the light comes on. That seems to be around 6,000 miles. Their oil changes are cheap, I get a free car wash, free snacks and beverages, and can browse the latest Hondas in the show room. I save all my wrenching frustrations for my Vair! ggg

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Posted by: RCSmith ()
Date: August 07, 2018 10:29AM

What about oil filter changes?
Can they really go 10,000 miles?

Ray C. Smith
'66 Corsa

Bergen County ,NJ

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 07, 2018 10:50AM

I change the filter between 20k mile oil changes...2-3 times... using Dino oil

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: August 07, 2018 04:49PM

Certain German cars have a sensor that tells the owner when the oil needs to be replaced. These can go to 15k miles between changes ( oil change, not sensor change).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 04:54PM by MattNall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.