Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
fun carb issue
Posted by: LesH ()
Date: August 04, 2018 04:39PM

So after resolving my electrical problem (separate thread below) I decided to look over the engine compartment closely for loose bolts, problem wires, etc etc etc before going for a run.

I always work the secondaries ('65) during engine check as they get stuck shut if the car sits a few days (any fix for this?)

Noticed a loose part on the choke linkage on the right hand side - no wonder fast idle is a little flakey. The bolt in the end of the choke plate was loose - so would never actuate the fast idle cam. Fixed that.

Looked at the other side - the linkage from the choke plate to fast idle cam is dangling loose? Hmmm. NO fast idle cam there at all! The bolt backed out and the cam and bolt are nowhere to be found.

Grabbed a spare carb from my stash and transferred the fast idle cam. While putting the carb back in, I found the bolt from the fast idle cam. Grabbed a flashlight and closer inspection - there's the cam in the hole under the rear engine mount.

Starts much better now...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fun carb issue
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 04, 2018 06:03PM

Life is good! Good to see your post. Hope all is well

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: August 04, 2018 08:34PM

LesH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I always work the secondaries ('65) during engine
> check as they get stuck shut if the car sits a few
> days (any fix for this?)
>

Only possibility is that the secondaries are leaking fuel.

Well, it is possible that your linkage is not adjusted correctly and fuel from the accelerator pump is dribbling down when the secondaries do not open properly.

Or, do you think they are stuck because the accelerator pump spring makes them slightly harder to open?

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: August 04, 2018 09:18PM

Secondary carbs stuck shut after a couple days sounds like they are gummed up in side and need to be rebuilt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 08, 2018 08:46AM

It seems like everything loose ends up in the skidplate. I'm expecting to find a wedding ring or a cellphone someday.
Do you have the 65 Secondary linkage with the curved sliding arrangement or the 66 with the rod and spring arrangement? Seems to me a stuck 65 would prevent the Primary carbs from opening fully as well, like the entire cross shaft would only go to a certain point. Maybe I'm just not thinking clearly.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepai.com

Posted by: corvairsince70 ()
Date: August 08, 2018 09:07AM

I see secondaries ('66) lightly stuck shut merely from the heat of the engine. My secondaries close completely so when the engine cools, the butterflies will stick just a little on first opening when starting a cold engine. They will open either by the first heavy throttle or when the engine warms.
Primaries are not fully closed due to idle setting so they don't exhibit this issue.
Basically, a hot steel plug is being put snug in a hot aluminum hole. When all cools, the steel plug will be slightly stuck.

Dennis
Nashville area
'68 Conv 140 PG
'66 Corsa Conv 180
'66 Corsa 140

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 08, 2018 03:31PM

corvairsince70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see secondaries ('66) lightly stuck shut merely
> from the heat of the engine. My secondaries close
> completely so when the engine cools, the
> butterflies will stick just a little on first
> opening when starting a cold engine. They will
> open either by the first heavy throttle or when
> the engine warms.
> Primaries are not fully closed due to idle setting
> so they don't exhibit this issue.
> Basically, a hot steel plug is being put snug in a
> hot aluminum hole. When all cools, the steel plug
> will be slightly stuck.

Well that's interesting and probably has merit.

My secondaries are clean and work smooth, but I have noticed after a cool down if I move the secondary throttle lever by hand there is an initial bind for a very small movement and then everything is free. From the gas pedal I've never noticed it. Of course I don't open the secondaries via the pedal until the engine is up to operating temperature.

Note that the dealers did get a notice to remove the secondary accelerater pumps because of "gummed up" secondary complaints. Not really an issue unless you only open the secondaries briefly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.