Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Need HV carb
Posted by: Lalkie ()
Date: August 04, 2018 02:43PM

I need a Rochester HV carb. I am not sure if anything older than 65 will work on a 65 thru 66 110. I could get by with the carb body. I have a top and other parts. Thanks Larry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 09:58PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need H or HV carb
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: August 04, 2018 03:21PM

The carbs really should be matched. Although I have seen 2 different carbs on an engine run just fine.

We really need to know what you have or want to put the carb on. It would really be nice to know what jet you have in the other carb, if you need a main jet.

It might just be better to get a carb core so you have everything.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 04, 2018 03:24PM

I read this topic and I think this person really needs Bob Helts (R I P) book on Corvair Rochester Carburetors.

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: August 04, 2018 03:26PM

[www.amazon.com]

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Date: August 04, 2018 03:31PM

I am putting it on a 66 110. thanks Larry

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: August 04, 2018 03:46PM

he would want This one

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: August 04, 2018 05:03PM

toms73novass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> he would want This one

Well and good and correct, but sadly, not available says the Amazonlink

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: August 04, 2018 09:32PM

Why would you want an H carb which is a secondary carb for a 140 when you are working on a 110 HP 2 carb engine? Your engine uses 2 HV primary carbs. A matched pair is what you want and the 65-66 carbs are the best of the rest. Are you missing a carb somehow? Do your carbs not match? is your carb destroyed, plugged up, or somehow damaged where it can not be rebuilt? If none of the above rebuild the one you have and be done with it. The instructions for all necessary adjustments are listed step by step (with pictures even)in the engine fuel section of the 65 main book GM Corvair Shop Manual.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 04, 2018 09:58PM

The H-series Carb is not a 140 secondary. (Although it could be used there.) The H-series was originally a 1960 or 1961 carb with either no choke in the carb (1960) or a manual choke 1961. The HV is the 62-up Primary carb with the choke driven by the coil under the head. The 65-66 with the high speed enrichment is probably the best, but a rebuilt 62-64 primary, if properly jetted, should do fine. But a matched set of 65s is recommended. So, try to find a 65 carb to match the one you have.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Re: Need HV carb
Date: August 05, 2018 06:17AM

Thanks for the response. My carb body is damaged possibly beyond repair. I was not sure of the difference between the H and the HV. there is a lot of talk about the H carb being used as a primary with the installation of an accelerator pump. Probably should get the Bob Helt book. Thanks again for the help. Larry

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: August 05, 2018 09:01AM

The '65 Service manual calls it an H. In Helt's book page 11, he calls it an H-type secondary car.

The designation after the H is a Rochester thing. The Rochester B, one bbl, used from around 1950 had a manual choke. A Rochester BV had a divorced choke like the HV with a bi-metal coil mounted near the engine heat. A Rochester BC had a bi-metal coil mounted directly to the carb. Hot air is directed from near the exhaust manifold by way of a small steel tube.
If the '60 choke mechanism was mounted directly to the H carb(s), 1 each, they would probably have been called HC carbs

Attachments:

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 08, 2018 08:37AM

The 65 and 66 Primary carbs are different. The 66 has another hole in the idle circuit that is in the venturi above the throttle plate in line with the idle mixture screw.
It's hard to describe but there's a nice picture and explanation in Bob Helt's book.
I don't think the extra hole really does all that much in the grand scheme of things and like Steve said you can probably have somewhat mis-matched carbs work okay together, as long as you're not mixing and matching parts.
The 65 and 66 carbs both have the high speed enrichment circuit. It's important that both carbs either have that or don't have it. I don't mean to further complicate things but the fixed jet for this circuit is a different size for Powerglide vs. Manual carbs. Again that may not make all that much difference in the grand scheme of things.
Having said what might work, it is best to have a matched pair. Except for 62 and 63 it seems like there's something different every year.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.