Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
First-Time Startup Procedure
Posted by: Nick_Soapdish ()
Date: July 30, 2018 07:42PM

I'm finally getting real close to firing up my rebuilt engine for the first time. Aside from the standards (break-in oil; pre-running the oil pump; keeping the RPMs up), what are the recommended procedures for initial startup and run?

This is a pretty exciting stage, so it's easy for the ol' thinker to stop working and forget simple/obvious things...

Dylan
'62 95 Panel
Seattle, WA

Wagons and vans, just clap your hands.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First-Time Startup Procedure
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 30, 2018 07:49PM

The gurus will want to know type of rings, cylinders and pistons you have in the engine. It makes a difference.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 30, 2018 08:23PM

If new cam or lifters... hope you put special lube on them

Before starting take a Compression test to make sure you have an equal amount in each..+ or - 10 psi is OK... back out LOW cylinder's rocker nuts 1/4 turn CCW at a time and retest.

See our FAQ's on how to "Static time" the distributor

Then go for it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 30, 2018 09:08PM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The gurus will want to know type of rings,
> cylinders and pistons you have in the engine. It
> makes a difference.

- Cast iron rings
- .030-over cylinders
- Clarks "Premium Cast" pistons

Date: July 30, 2018 09:19PM

Nothing special with Cast iron

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: July 30, 2018 09:36PM

As long as you did a proper cold valve adjustment there is no need to do a compression check before firing it up and in fact I would advise against it, does not matter what kind of pistons / rings or cylinders you have as that does not affect anything for the first start.
What you do want to make sure of is the carbs have fuel in them and a fuel supply to run the engine for 15-20 min at about 2000-2500 immediately when it first fires, also make sure the timing is set so it will fire, make sure the distributor is set to fire at TDC on #1 compression stroke, remember when the timing mark on the balancer or pulley is at 0, it is ready to fire on #1 or #2, so make sure when you install the distributor that its actually #1 ready to fire at 0 and not #2, once you are certain you are on #1 TDC ready to fire and the distributor is pointing at #1 on the distributor cap, you can move the crank to your desired timing, say 16, hook your timing light up and and energize the coil, point the light at your face and turn the distributor by hand and the light should flash in your face, do it a few times and you will see it flash, try to set your distributor where it flashes, that way you have initial timing advanced enough for it to fire right off when you hit the start button, once it fires you can then adjust it with the timing light. check for fuel and oil leaks when it first fires, have a oil pressure gauge in the idiot light switch and check the oil pressure when it first fires, I have Vids on you tube you can watch. thumbs up

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: July 31, 2018 08:19AM

Did Tonawanda do an initial break-in this way? I used to work with a guy that worked there in the early 2000's when they were making 60° V6's. He said they didn't test run engines before they shipped them. They just motored them over and ran a diagnostic of some sort.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: August 03, 2018 12:15AM

In the 2000's they were all roller cams as far as I'm aware. Not the same break-in procedure as a flat-tappet cam.

And Nick, if it's possible I would have at least one extra set of eyes who's sole job at least for the first few minutes is to watch for things like oil leaks, fuel leaks, temperature gauges rising too far, checking ignition timing, etc.
Stuff like that is important, but easy to forget in the excitement of the first few minutes.

Don't worry about smoke out of the tailpipes for a couple of minutes anyway. Should not be a lot for very long though. I don't seem to remember any excessive smoking out of the Corvair engines on first fire-up, but some engines will.

If you see any of those things, and you need to stop holding the engine up to the 2500 rpm, just shut it down. Obviously the theme here is no idling allowed.
Or excessive starter cranking for that matter. Hence the importance of what has been said about the initial setup and having fuel in the carbs and oil already pumped throughout the system.

And if you have close neighbors, don't do this at night, or early in the morning!

Best of luck! It's as exciting as you think it's going to be.

Paul

Date: August 05, 2018 09:13PM

Thanks for the guidance, gents. The motor lit right off and ran great! It has no interest in idling, so looks like there's some adjustment to do, but we're off to a solid start.

davemotohead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pointing at #1 on the distributor cap, you can
> move the crank to your desired timing, say 16,
> hook your timing light up and and energize the
> coil, point the light at your face and turn the
> distributor by hand and the light should flash

I never thought to do this, but it totally works. Thanks Moto!

Dylan
'62 95 Panel
Seattle, WA

Wagons and vans, just clap your hands.

Date: August 05, 2018 09:18PM

Called "Static Timing" No timing chain in a Corvair Engine... so it's set! no need to check...

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 06, 2018 05:53AM

A question for the "experts". Do you change the oil and filter after the initial start up and break in of the cam? How long do you leave break in oil before changing it to a regular oil? thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: August 06, 2018 06:22AM

I usually do 500 miles then change... but I will not call myself an expert. winking smiley

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 06, 2018 06:37PM

Cool deal Nick, glad it lit right off for you!

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: August 06, 2018 11:45PM

The oil-change thing has changed quite a bit for me over the years.
For all the Corvair engines my dad an I did (last one was quite a few years ago now though) in the early days we always used single weight, non-detergent oils for the break-in and changed it AND filter out after the initial half hour run-in for regular preferred oil.
Then again after the first 500 miles.
Then again when it hit the 1000 mile mark.
Then on to normal oil change intervals from there, whatever they happened to be.

In later years for us (mid-seventies) we'd still do the initial change after break-in, but skip the 500 mile change and just run it to 1000 miles. Then normal after that.
We felt with the improved oils we just didn't need the interim change as much.
If going to run synthetic oil, we typically left that until after 10,000 miles to allow a quicker break-in of the rest of the internal parts.

With all other non-Corvair engines I've done after the late seventies, I stopped bothering with the non-detergent oil and just used the regular oil for everything.
Even changing after the break-in was optional (but preferred) and still kept doing the first full change at 1000 miles.
Last V8 I did (Ford 351w) we did the oil change after the break-in, but did without the 1000 mile change altogether and the owner ran the oil up to about the 3000 to 4000 mile mark. Which will likely be his normal interval, given the inconsistency it's driven.

By "regular oil" too, of course I mean any high-zinc content oil that is recommended for a Corvair with flat-tappet cam.
Didn't have to worry about that years ago, but it's a big thing now as we've seen.

I know all that blabber didn't actually answer your question, but all of those methods and intervals have worked very well for me, so you can use whichever one you choose.
The bottom line is that I consider oil to be "cheap insurance" and would not sweat an extra change in there if you feel it's warranted.
Don't want to waste any of course (oil or money!) but in the end if you're in doubt as to how many miles to go initially, err to the short side and change it more often. Especially these initial break-in changes, and/or if your driving does not take you very far, very often.
Sooner is better in that case.

Good luck.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.