Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Blown Out Corvair BFGoodrich Tire On Way To Pittsburgh-Back On Road In 30 Minutes-Phew...
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: July 28, 2018 08:00AM

Just because your in Pennsylvania and they say Carlisle on the side wall, that doesn't mean they were made right down the road.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blown Out Corvair BFGoodrich Tire On Way To Pittsburgh-Back On Road In 30 Minutes-Phew...
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: July 28, 2018 09:32AM

2 for $40? eye rolling smiley

Attachments:
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: July 30, 2018 02:43PM

A Corvair owner I met years ago at Hemmings Muscleoalooza with a modifyed 63 convert-140 center mount rounded up some of his junk and arrvd at the CorVention a few hours before Fridays banquet. I saw the tires, he also had 1 other off brand white letter he was looking to buy a match to. I offered to "rent" the tire from him, he doesn't live to far from me, he wasn't interested, and wanted $40 for the orphan single tire. He was asking $40 for the pair of 185-70R 13's, and he thru in a 1964 Corvette air cleaner...

The tires I put purchased are date coded 2017 I think, and my 21 year old BFG'S have ZERO age cracks. I will try to post once we get home, 150 (of 600) to go, cruising at 55-60, 82f and overcast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2018 02:47PM by UGLYTRUK.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 30, 2018 09:04PM

This tire did this at about 5 years old. The picture is from today at about 8 years. Still holds air.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2018 09:13PM by joelsplace.

Attachments:
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: July 31, 2018 06:03AM

Look Mom, ZERO age cracks!

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: July 31, 2018 06:12AM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He said 2@ $40. Is that $40 each or $40 a pair.
> $40 each is about the going price for that size.

Tell me where you can buy a NEW Corvair tire for $40, I'll take 4 please.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting REALclose.

Date: July 31, 2018 06:17AM

Forgot to mention this tire came apart sitting still. I'm sure it would have blown out if I was driving it.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: July 31, 2018 07:04AM

For what it's worth:

Starting in the year 2000- all tire date codes MUST be 4 digits.
Also- the date code is only one one side of the tire mold- therefore the tire. Depending on if you want white letters in/ white sidewall in- will determine where your date code is.

Eric P
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: July 31, 2018 07:28AM

For a while I was sending my unresizable images to Matt, and he would post them for me. But my crappy device still has four emails in the outbox, they've been there for a week, and they won't even send. So I just have to keep my un-aged cracked BF Goodrich Tire images to myself for the moment lol

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: July 31, 2018 07:42AM

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: July 31, 2018 08:38AM

That tire looks like the winner of the burnout contest.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: July 31, 2018 08:47AM

I just bought 4 'new' tires for my wife's Hummer $107 each delivered with an additional $70 rebate, actually pretty good price, Cooper tires through Amazon.com. They arrived in about 3 days, three were about a year old, about average, fourth was 5th week of 2016. We filed a complaint and they gave us $90 back. So $268 for a set of tires, pretty decent. I plan to buy another and use the old one as a spare.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: July 31, 2018 03:11PM

Check where they were made. Cooper has had serious issues with their Mexico plant. I have a ruined bed on my truck because of it. Young tires with plenty of air blowing out with no warning. They did pay for the tires.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 02, 2018 10:43AM

T

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Attachments:

Date: August 02, 2018 02:23PM

I looked all over and could not determine a birth place, you'd think it'd be somewhere. The reviews on these particular tires are pretty good.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 02, 2018 02:59PM

moomba32 Wrote:
> I looked all over and could not determine a birth
> place, you'd think it'd be somewhere. The reviews
> on these particular tires are pretty good.

Its always there somewhere, its often small and only on side, usually closest to the rim.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: August 02, 2018 06:09PM

YO Ugly,

I couldn't help notice in the pile of shit you have ion your trunk...

Between the tire tread on the left.... Is that a flower pot I see??

Don't want to know why.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting REALclose.

Date: August 03, 2018 02:14AM

That looks like a safety cone to me.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: August 03, 2018 05:05AM

I am as "thrifty" as anyone here about many things, but not with tires. I learned my lesson in the 70's with a set of Firestone 500 tires on my Corvair. When the tires were checked, 3 out of 4 had tread separation while still on the car. Replaced the full set with new, non Firestone tires that day.

In June I got my 67 back from 10 months in the paint shop and inspected the tires. Cracks in side walls and tread area. Next day all 4 tires were replaced with new Michelin's from Discount Tire. $452 well spent.

Earlier this year, on an old Jeep I purchased found the great looking tires on the Jeep were 20 years old with no visible cracks at all. But they were replaced anyway in the interest of safety.

Posted by: billh1963 ()
Date: August 03, 2018 05:49AM

john.jackson Wrote:
> I am as "thrifty" as anyone here about many
> things, but not with tires.

Yep...tires and brakes. Shortcuts and being cheap in these areas is false economy. How much is your or someone else's life worth?

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.