Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Blown Out Corvair BFGoodrich Tire On Way To Pittsburgh-Back On Road In 30 Minutes-Phew...
Posted by: curt ()
Date: July 26, 2018 05:09AM

Old tires are risky riders. I looked at a Studebaker truck and the seller said tires were not a problem despite being old, old tires. He rolled the truck, blow out. He was killed. This was probably ten years ago.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blown Out Corvair BFGoodrich Tire On Way To Pittsburgh-Back On Road In 30 Minutes-Phew...
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: July 26, 2018 05:43AM

How old is old? How cracked is dangerous? The spare I installed was a 155 80r13 from a Hyundai I bot in Phoenix 10 years ago, the Hyunda8 never sat inside, I saved the tire to use as a Corvair spare. I towed the Corvair 2 miles with 10lbs of air until I got to the gas station to pump it up to 40lbs (hot). It made it 200 miles. I'll post pix sometime, when my junk device allows me..

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: July 26, 2018 07:04AM

21 year old tires, overinflated and on the Interstate, what could go wrong thereeye rolling smiley

Glad no one was hurt. Our eyes cannot determine tire deterioration from age unless they are cracked wide open. Often the failures occur internally or between layers.

Why anyone wants to age a tire based on miles not years is beyond me. A valued classic car and lives are at stake.

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 86
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 26, 2018 07:15AM

Walmart!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 26, 2018 07:17AM

Newer tires built in the last 15 or 20 years are often not good for more than 5 years. Tires older than that are much better but are now getting too old. My 93 Chevy has the original Uniroyal Tiger Paw spare. They weren't much good new and it is severely cracked. I've used it successfully as a spare several times. when almost new tires failed. Once with a bed full of Corvair transaxles and parts in the summer.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: July 26, 2018 07:21AM

Andrew wrote: "How old is old? How cracked is dangerous?"

NHTSA studied this very question. They purchased about 20,000 (as I recall) used tires of various ages from junkyards all across the country and tested them.

Bottom line: Many older tires from cooler regions still did the job but tires from hot climates showed significant failure rates at a relatively young age.

Rubber continues to cure (harden) after manufacturing and aging bonds between plies can't be trusted. Since tires are mobile by nature, there's no way to be sure of its pre-sale storage climate and after-sale use environment. This led them to issue the "7-year" recommendation which covered the possibility of a hot storage or hot-climate use. Side-wall cracking is never acceptable; that's visible proof the tire is aged and hardened.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: July 26, 2018 08:07AM

I think "aspect ratio" has a lot to do with it also... 75/80 series seem to age better..

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 26, 2018 12:24PM

How much is your life worth? Maybe you should spring for a NEW set of tires and not something off of a 20 year old junk car. It seems pennywise and pound foolish. Just saying.

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: July 26, 2018 01:26PM

I think the danger level has a lot to do with ones abilities to handle a blowout, and the car's handling characteristics, but high speed and bad timing can do you in for sure or maybe you won't completely lose control just wobble enough to sideswipe that oncoming dump truck. I have some too old Goodyears on my 64, it rarely goes much now because of that and I'm very aware when I do drive it around the block, there's no chance it'll take a 100 mile drive without getting some new shoes first, it's on the list. Just ordered new tires to replace the 5 year old ones on my wife's car. With 6 vehicle, three boats, three trailers a tractor and riding mower, there's not a month goes by one of them doesn't get a new tire or battery.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: July 26, 2018 03:22PM

Dan... Moomba.... Andrew was TOWING the car!

Date: July 26, 2018 03:47PM

Sounds like he is flat towing and the car is still on the road.

Dan
Chandler, AZ
[corvaircenter.com]

Date: July 26, 2018 03:54PM

And it barely wobbled...

Date: July 26, 2018 04:13PM

Andrew posted a vid last night from the Convention.... I posted it here in REPORTS...

Date: July 27, 2018 05:10PM

I have posted a few vids of the Corvention, and autocross, more to come.

I purchased two brand new 185-70R13 off-brand (Thailand) tires, 2@$40. I'll have to find a shop to install 1 on my 13" rim.

Date: July 27, 2018 06:01PM

What are the date codes on these?? gg

Date: July 27, 2018 06:53PM

I was afraid to ask.

Dan
Chandler, AZ
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: July 27, 2018 07:21PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are the date codes on these?? gg

Are you sure they date code trailer tires?

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: July 27, 2018 11:17PM

WoW!
2@$40 ? ! ? ! ?
I like inexpensive tires!
BUT that is so low it is scary!
I would be nervous to get on the freeway with tires that cheap!

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: July 28, 2018 06:25AM

Andrew is great at finding deals! Seen it a few times...

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: July 28, 2018 07:44AM

He said 2@ $40. Is that $40 each or $40 a pair. $40 each is about the going price for that size.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.