Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Blown Out Corvair BFGoodrich Tire On Way To Pittsburgh-Back On Road In 30 Minutes-Phew...
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: July 24, 2018 06:12AM

I dropped off my '65 Monza immediately after Knoxville, and AC now installed, good used 140 running well... I aired up the tires, 35 rear 25 front, not very old BF Goodrich TA radials, and not 10 miles away BOOM!! RR tire let go! Luckily I had a junk Hyundai spare on a 5 lug rim, I forgot to air it up... And no jack... Hmmmm... My tow vehicle Mercedes ML jack worked fine. So 15 minutes later I'm crawling to the next exit, aired up the obviously cracked and HOT tire to 40lbs, and made it 200 miles to Pittsburgh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2018 07:35AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blown Out Corvair BFGoodrich Tire On Way To Pittsburgh-Back On Road In 30 Minutes-Phew...
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 24, 2018 07:10AM

Lucky boy! Have fun

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Re: Blown Out Corvair BFGoodrich Tire On Way To Pittsburgh-Back On Road In 30 Minutes-Phew...
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: July 24, 2018 08:23AM

The BF Goodrich Radial TA MAXIMUM pressure is 40PSI and only to seat the bead on installation!

Your 35PSI COLD is too high for normal use. As the tire heats up your pushing the limit.

These tires were designed to operate at 60's bias ply pressures. I'd run no more than 28-30PSI rear. They work fine and ride good at that pressure. Of course lower PSI for the front tires.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: July 24, 2018 08:33AM

Curious the actual age. I'm pretty leary of tires older than 5 years.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: July 24, 2018 01:31PM

The date code is on the inside, I looked at the outside, nothing there. I will supply images to Matt, hopefully he'll post them for me 😈

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 24, 2018 01:44PM

I've never heard of an inside date code...

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: July 24, 2018 02:06PM

Tire is probably so old it was made before date codes?

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: July 24, 2018 02:08PM

Maybe he the sidewall that faces the inside. DOT codes are often there and hard to find.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: July 24, 2018 03:13PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've never heard of an inside date code...

The BF Goodrich TA has the date code on the raised white letter side. If you put the black side out then yes the date code will be on the inside - as on my car.

I just had one that was ten years old separate on me. The car had sat for years. The tire LOOKED new, but I figured it was marginal and just drove it at low speeds. After less than 100 miles the sidewall separated. It didn't blow, but it felt like the wheel was square, wompa wompa - LOL.

Parked the car and took the rims to the tire shop.

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: July 24, 2018 06:00PM

davemotohead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tire is probably so old it was made before date
> codes?

Lol,
I sold this 65 convertible to Andrew
and I bought those BF Goodrich tires
in question in the year 1998. I remember
the year because it was the year of
my divorce. I saw my old corvair in
Mark Corbin's garage last year and it
still had the same tires on it. Sorry
Andrew to call you out but to say fairly
new tires is a little bit of a stretch.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe

Detroit, Michigan

Date: July 24, 2018 08:26PM

Dan, I was just guessing at the year. I just looked,,on the INSIDE, white letter out, is 287, which I would guess is 28th week, 7th year, which would be 1997 or 2007... And based on Dans' memory, they are 20 years old. But they sure look good!

There's not one single age crack anywhere. And I don't believe the car ever sat outside.

Date: July 24, 2018 11:55PM

Hey Andrew, I forgot to say that
I'm glad you made it to Pittsburgh
safely. I wasn't trying to be a
jerk I just remember buying those
tires right after my divorce in 1998.
Are you coming to Detroit next month,
I hope so. Take care my friend.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe

Detroit, Michigan

Date: July 25, 2018 04:17AM

DD, once I decide what to do about the tires, I would like to bring the Monza? Let's see what happens...

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: July 25, 2018 05:11AM

1997 and 1987 will have 3 digits, 2007 will have 4 digits. When they started DOT coding them, it was the belief that they would wear out before ten years and only used 3. I was just looking for an odd ball size on Ebay, seller had them listed as new, manufacture date was 2012, not for me.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: July 25, 2018 05:30PM

When I had the car up in the air quite some months ago, I had spotted bulges in the right rear tire, and notified Andrew accordingly about the situation. Even advised him to replace them or at least it before going anywhere. He did not follow my advice.

-Mark

Date: July 25, 2018 05:36PM

Typical Andrew! too much going on to remember!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 25, 2018 10:03PM

I insure with Hagerty.. I wonder if they'll cover tire replacement, at least 1, maybe a pair? I am 600 miles from home... I will call them tire. I priced the tires on ebay, about $100 each shipped

Date: July 25, 2018 10:31PM

Tire warranties are from the tire MFG... or the Seller...No one cover 20 years!!

13" Pitt is a large city... call around and find some Maxxis!

Date: July 25, 2018 11:47PM

Actually Matt, the tires and rims are
14 inch. Unless he wants to pick up
4/ 13 inch rims he needs to buy 14 inch
tires. Should be easier then the
13 inch.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe

Detroit, Michigan

Date: July 26, 2018 04:56AM

215-60R14

I will be calling Hagerty shortly

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.