Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Returning to my Corvair
Posted by: geomuck ()
Date: August 05, 2018 06:49PM

Right, I thought about that AFTER I took them out smiling bouncing smiley

I blasted the stuck one with some penetrating fluid; hopefully next weekend It'll be a little more cooperative.

George Murnock
1967 Corvair Monza convertible 140/4, owned since August 2013
Near Boulder, Colorado

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 08, 2018 08:17AM

Sometimes I heat the head adjacent to the stud with a propane torch to help it come out. If you keep pressure on the wrench with one hand while heating with the other it will all of a sudden start to turn.
I heated both heads up on an engine yesterday to get the short studs to go in. One was 1 5/8 and the other was 1 3/4. I like 1 7/16 protruding on the short stud and 4" on the long one. Too much stud sticking out maybe means not enough thread engagement in the aluminum.
I pull the long studs all the time but usually leave the short ones if they're correct. Too much potential for disaster with those threads that are "down in the valley".
You also need to be careful about too much torch heat. The entire head will get hot, not just where you're working. Aluminum is amazing that way.

I like your method of keeping at it here and there when you can. Pretty soon you will be done and a big chunk of time can be difficult to find.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: August 08, 2018 09:28AM

Thanks Jim!

When heating the head: did you do it from underneath, or on top?

George Murnock
Near Boulder, Colorado

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 08, 2018 09:57AM

To the side of where the stud is. On the long stud on the outside of the projection where it lives. On the short stud on the flat surface parallel to the stud towards the center of the engine, maybe a little down in the carburetor port. The idea is to expand the aluminum surrounding the stud without heating the stud itself. Propane is not as hot as oxy/acetylene and thus more gentle. I only use heat when the double nuts want to turn together without the stud turning.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: August 08, 2018 09:58AM

Thank you very much -- that's exactly what's happening on that last one. I'll give that a go this weekend!

If I can't get it, I'll just move on to other disassembly and come back to it when it's the last thing left cool smiley

George Murnock
Near Boulder, Colorado

Date: August 12, 2018 12:32PM

Making good progress. I used a heat gun on the last remaining carb stud, and it came out without too much effort, so that's good. Then I removed the coil and its mounting bracket, all the top bolts for the right-side shroud, the bottom engine shroud, and the exhaust manifold and muffler/tailpipe. I also drained the oil (the chassis manual said to do that).

With everything in plain view, I can now understand some things people I've read about "push rod tubes" smiling smiley

I think that next weekend I should be able to pull the head. Wish me luck!

Exposed!

Proceed in an orderly fashion...

George Murnock
Near Boulder, Colorado

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 12, 2018 12:40PM

You'll get it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 12, 2018 01:40PM

Thanks Matt! I definitely will. Then we'll see what's happening in there...

George Murnock
Near Boulder, Colorado

Date: August 19, 2018 12:44PM

I got the head removed today! I got started by removing the rockers and push rods. Then, I disconnected the push rod tubes. I didn’t have a fancy tool to pull them, nor my spring pliers, so I just used regular pliers, elbow grease, and leverage against the head. I got them all disconnected without doing too much marring of the tubes, and no damage. Then I removed the head nuts — all relatively easy except for the one furthest toward the rear of the car. That one had me cursing a little bit, as I rounded off the nut! Thankfully, a little WD-40 and some additional patience and effort got it off.

[lh3.googleusercontent.com]

After finding and removing a couple of additional shroud screws that I’d missed before, a little bit of wiggling and muscle got the head off.

There’s definitely something amiss with the intake valve, but my untrained eye can’t tell if it’s the seat or something else.

And the cylinder shows some valve contact. I’m not sure if that’s something to be concerned about?

(Here’s all three cylinders):

Regardless: head work is almost certainly beyond my ability, so I’m going to have to take it somewhere. Paging Steve Goodman and other Colorado locals: any suggestions?

I'm pleased that I've been able to get to this point by myself (with help from the group and the shop manual, of course!). It's great to dig in -- I'm learning a lot by just getting in there and tearing it apart. Words and pictures only go so far.

Thanks everyone,

George Murnock
Near Boulder, Colorado

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 19, 2018 01:28PM

Yep.
Lokks like you dropped a valve seat, and it broke up.
Then proceeded to be pounded into the head, before being blown out the tailpipe.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 19, 2018 01:37PM

Not bad... head can be fixed easily...

BUT is this a crack???

Attachments:
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.