Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Returning to my Corvair
Posted by: geomuck ()
Date: September 03, 2018 07:41PM

Ha!

Got it, thanks Matt and Steve -- I've got a lot of pics of how everything is coming apart, and well-labeled bags of parts. Fingers crossed that those plus the shop manual will be enough for me.

Gotcha Mel. I'll see what I can do going forward to post pics inline.

Thanks everyone!

George Murnock
1967 Corvair Monza convertible 140/4, owned since August 2013
Near Boulder, Colorado

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: geomuck ()
Date: December 02, 2018 12:48PM

(Has it really been this long?!)

Finally got back to wrenching today, briefly. I got my head back from Steve Goodman last week, and now the only thing stopping me from making progress is... me spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I spent a little time making the work area usable for winter, by bringing a nice, big propane heater to the shop. After that, I removed the top cover and brought it home, so that I can replace the fan bearing at my leisure. Next steps are to remove the #5 piston and cylinder assembly and replace it, thanks to the damage done by the dropped valve seat.

Slow progress beats no progress, right? smiling smiley

George Murnock
1967 Corvair Monza convertible 140/4, owned since August 2013
Near Boulder, Colorado

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 02, 2018 01:11PM

You stay warm... you'll get it done!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: cyclemikey ()
Date: December 02, 2018 02:51PM

George, if I understand this correctly, it's only been a little over a year since this first happened. You're still in the pee-wee leagues of procrastination, trust me. You're doing fine.

Mikey
on the mighty Millicoma in
Coos Bay, Oregon

'64 Monza coupe
waaay too much other stuff to list

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: December 02, 2018 06:23PM

Something to consider when removing the piston and connecting rod from the block would be to do something to prevent the connecting rod bolts from scratching or nicking the crankshaft. Some people use short lengths of rubber hose and slip it over the threads.
If the connecting rod bearing still appears to be good, there is probably no need to replace it. This would save a little cash by not needing to purchase one rod bearing as well as determining if it's a standard or another size bearing.
I would suggest marking how the connecting rod bearing is installed then carefully remove the halves from the two pieces of the connecting rod so they don't get damaged and be reinstalled when putting things back together.

IF the connecting rod isn't already somehow marked on one side or the other, make sure to mark them to keep track of how to put them back together, I don't remember but I think it matters how the rod cap is installed back on the rod.
IF I am mis-remembering, mis-informed, or giving incorrect information I encourage someone more knowledgeable to correct me.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 06:27PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: ranger372 ()
Date: December 02, 2018 07:17PM

This has been a great thread. To me, this is what Corvair Center is all about, Thank You to all the contributors. And you George, you are doing great and will be on the road by Spring.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.