Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corvair Communiques
Posted by: mark60609 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 10:00AM

Do you know if the original Corvair Communiques have ever been reprinted? Not Corsa Communiques, but the original Corvair Communiques which were produced by Chevrolet from 63-66.

mark
'64 Monza Coupe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair Communiques
Date: July 13, 2018 10:28AM

Not to my knowledge.
If you are a CORSA member, part of the national clubs service is an online resource of past publications and we have included PDF copies online of these historic Chevrolet publications.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: July 13, 2018 12:41PM

Danny (1966-Corsa-GT-180) is right.

The online CORSA archives go way back to the beginning and include copies of the earliest CORSA newsletters, CORSA Windmills, CORSA Quarterlies and Communiques.

The archives even include Chevrolet Corvair Communiqués - 1963-66 and Corvair Club of America Newsletters - 1965-66.

When you log in to the CORSA website at www.corvair.org, the navigation menu expands and you'll see links to the archives, where you can pick and choose the magazines you'd like to read.

If you are a CORSA member but don't have a username and password for the website, contact the national office and they'll provide them to you. smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2018 12:41PM by Allan Lacki.

Posted by: Bogey72 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 05:55PM

How can we get more color photos in them? I wouldn’t mind paying a little more to get more color.

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
1965 Monza Convertible, PG
Owner since August 2013

Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: July 14, 2018 07:01AM

Hi Ed Conto and Mark,

Are you looking to purchase hardcopies of the 1963-1966 Corvair Communiques or just digital copies?

As Danny Davis noted above, the Corvair Society of America has no plan to reprint them in hardcopy form. As a fellow CORSA Board member, I don't think there would be sufficient demand for them to justify the cost.

You may be able to find a collector who would be willing to sell his or her original copies to you. Perhaps your post here on the Corvair Center will prompt such a person to make an offer to you. Alternatively, you can post want ads in the current CORSA Communique or on the various Corvair-centric Facebook pages. Corvair Trader comes to mind.

For what it's worth, the Corvair Communiques that are posted on the CORSA website are already in color. They aren't high resolution copies, but they're out there if you want to read them.

Al Lacki

Date: July 14, 2018 09:10AM

Hi, Al, thanks for the info. I should have clarified my comments about the color photos. I was referring to the current corsa communiques, i wish they had more color photos. I will check out the old corvair communiques online though!

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Date: July 14, 2018 10:37AM

Ed, you can see the current Communique in color by downloading the issue from Corvair.org

Upcharges for color printing are the reason for the b&W photos in the printed version. CORSA is always aware that it is member's money we are spending.
We want to provide the best compromise between cost and quality.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: July 15, 2018 03:26AM

I wasn’t aware the online copy was full color. Thank you!

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Posted by: gmgmtl ()
Date: July 15, 2018 07:51AM

Alan Lacki wrote:For what it's worth, the Corvair Communiques that are posted on the CORSA website are already in color. They aren't high resolution copies, but they're out there if you want to read them.

Just to let those who might interest know: The early documents (through 1980) were scanned at high resolution. Then downsized for easier downloading for the online library. I do have the high resolution pdfs.

There are a few missing Corvair Communiqué issues, if anyone has them and I would appreciate the loan of them for scanning. I do not harm the magazines. The staples are removed for scanning on a flatbed scanner and then replaced when finished.
GMoore

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: July 15, 2018 10:28AM

gmgmtl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alan Lacki wrote:For what it's worth, the Corvair
> Communiques that are posted on the CORSA website
> are already in color. They aren't high resolution
> copies, but they're out there if you want to read
> them.
>
> Just to let those who might interest know: The
> early documents (through 1980) were scanned at
> high resolution. Then downsized for easier
> downloading for the online library. I do have the
> high resolution pdfs.
>
> There are a few missing Corvair Communiqué
> issues, if anyone has them and I would appreciate
> the loan of them for scanning. I do not harm the
> magazines. The staples are removed for scanning on
> a flatbed scanner and then replaced when finished.
>
> GMoore

Post a list of missing issues, please.

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: July 16, 2018 06:01AM

I would like to clarify that the Communiques in the CORSA archive include direct pdf copies of the most recent issues. The majority of the back issues were scanned at a resolution of 200 dpi and converted to pdf, yielding high quality digital copies, and most are OCR'ed. Some of the earliest Communiques and some of the pre-Communique publications are at a lower resolution.
Steve

Posted by: gmgmtl ()
Date: July 16, 2018 09:44AM

The missing issues of the Corvair Communiqué are
1963 volume 1, issue 1, 1.3 and 1.4.
1964 2.3
1965 3.2
The fourth and I believe final year is complete.

The pre-1980 documents were scanned at 600 dpi. This was done to try to help the OCR (optical recognized character) program to recognize the many different forms of text. Except for the Corvair Communiqué the early documents were made by volunteers on a limited budget. Hand written notes, hand corrected typing, varying degrees of typing weights and ink smudges gave the OCR program fits. At 600 dpi it took about 6 minutes to scan and OCR each page (ten years ago).

I reduced the resolution on the final documents to around 200 dpi for easy downloading. This did not effect the looks of the documents unless they were enlarged.

Attachments:
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: July 16, 2018 10:23AM

The "Corvair Communique" was a Chevy publication from back in the 60s (if I'm not mistaken). I am surprised that we included them in the CORSA club documents that we scanned. CORSA wasn't around till 1970. It's cool that we have them.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.