Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Looking for help/info on FC shifter stabilizers
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: July 13, 2018 06:51AM

Can anyone help me to sort out some history of Chevy's fix to the FC shaky-shifter problem (tendency to jump out of gear).

According to the DS-480 Technical bulletin the field fix was the addition of the this rubber bumper.

and I have a photo of one.

The tech bulletin states that production fix would be in the assembly manual revision, which from 61-63 looks like this

It has a bracket mounted to the crossmember with a jamb bolt threaded against the front engine mount. Does anyone have this design and could post a picture?

Here is a picture of a different stabilizer design:

Was this the actual final design of the production fix?

By 1964 the assembly manual no longer shows the stabilizer - why was it eliminated - transmission redesign?

Neither of my FCs offers any help. The '61 (1960 assembly) never received the field fix, and the Firebrier, a late '63, lacks a stabilizer - it must have been eliminated by then.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for help/info on FC shifter stabilizers
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: July 13, 2018 07:12AM

We did this to PhilSide with a big ass bolt.

Hopefully motohead has picture...he installed it.

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: July 13, 2018 08:04AM

I'll have to look at my 61. It does have a tendency to jump out of 3rd gear (top), though oddly more when it's hot rather than cold.

It's a very annoying thing but I have no idea why it does it, it also doesn't tend to do it less than 45mph.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2015 BMW 1 Series

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: July 13, 2018 08:08AM

Think this is the first design? hole was empty when Phil got the truck, This big ass bolt seemed to solve any shifting problems, Philside shifted great and never jumped out of gear.

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:

Date: July 13, 2018 08:53AM

Dave and Phil,
That looks like the production fix shown in the assembly manual. I wonder if there were variations on the theme, such as where the bracket was attached to the crossmember etc.? Might the bracket in the third picture of my original post be some sort of DIY job?

Anyone else?
Steve

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 13, 2018 09:10AM

I have seen this bracket and bolt like Motohead posted on a few FC's. There was a rubber cap on the bolt head that was mostly rotted away. Unfortunately I cannot remember what year FC's these were on. However my 62 Rampside has this.

My solution for stabilizing the Unipak is to make 3/8 thick reinforced washers out of rubber belting. These are sandwiched between the steel transmission mount and the rubber trans mount's. This stabilizes the mounts and holds the Unipak in place to assist shifting and also keep rear wheel alignment in a more stable position.
It's not stock, but works extremely well. My Greenbrier has had these washers for nearly 40 years.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: July 13, 2018 10:11AM

Steve,

Your first photo is 2nd design. The assembly manual photo displays 1st design which is simply a bracket and jamb bolt (see Dave's photos). Your last photo is merely a jury-rig with 1st design bracket reversed and a generic front stabilizer link mounted between a welded bracket. In other words, last photo is a well planned, home-made (or professional) application. Why 1st design was short-lived is due to customer complaints of mysterious clunks and squeaks (parts actually rubbing, no actual means of attachment).

If you look closely at your last photo, you'll notice a lack of holes in transmission mounting bracket as compared to Dave's photo. You have an early design transmission bracket. This is why 1st design stabilizer was created (a quick, dealer add-on to address popping out of gear complaints). Sometime in mid '61 or early '62, 2nd design was initiated. All '62 and later FCs could be equipped with 2nd design shifter stabilizers as well as '61 models with swapped out transmission bracket.

Chet in Ramona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2018 10:20AM by vairchet.

Attachments:

Posted by: clarkscorvair ()
Date: July 13, 2018 10:24AM

Here is what we have listed in the catalog for this.
[www.corvair.com]

Clarks Corvair Parts

Date: July 13, 2018 11:19AM

Chet,
Thanks for the explanation. So is this a case of confused documentation from GM? This is part of the text of the DR480 Technical Bulletin:

The first paragraph describes how the problem "will be corrected in production", which to me sounds like the bracket and jamb bolt (what you said was the second design). This is the design shown in the 61-63 assembly manuals.

What you have indicated as the 2nd design is what the Bulletin refers to as the "Field fix" (= my first figure). But your explanation of why the jamb bolt design was abandoned makes sense. It seems that the "Field fix" was actually the final (2nd) design, but never made it into the assembly manuals.
Steve

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: July 13, 2018 01:19PM

Bolt and bracket is first design as described by assembly manual. The other is refered as 'Field Design' or 2nd design. Both were installed by dealer when requested to resolve shifting issues. Assembly manuals normally are produced before actual product (or during the manufacture of prototypes). Any changes, alterations, and modifications will not be written as after-the-fact. That's why there is Technical Bulletins explaining such changes.

Chet in Ramona

Date: July 13, 2018 01:34PM

OK, got it. However, assembly manuals were routinely updated - old pages were removed and replaced when revisions were made. My copy of the 1961 assembly manual (do different versions exist?) shows design 1, so the manual must have been updated after the bracket was implemented. For some reason that drawing was never revised to show the design-2 bracket, not even in the 1962 and 1963 assembly manuals. Strange.
Steve

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: July 13, 2018 04:25PM

It is my understanding that this bracket add on was to stop shifters from coming out of gear in severe pulling or stopping conditions such as construction site conditions under severe useage. If your trans and motor mounts are good I do not believe you need this accessory. My Rampside only has one of the original brackets and is not connected to anything and I have no issues with the transmission.

Date: July 13, 2018 06:27PM

Ed,
Yes, that's correct. I'm collecting information for an article I'm writing for CorvanAnatics.
Steve

Date: July 14, 2018 12:55PM

Doesnt look like I have any of these on my 61. I'd be interested in finding out how to fit one. My mounts appear to be ok so perhaps it'd help to fit something.

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
2009 Mazda MX5
2015 BMW 1 Series

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 14, 2018 06:53PM

Is it possible that with the late '63 and up shifter design they dropped the brace?

Date: July 14, 2018 07:31PM

Yes, quite likely the late-style FC shifter helped.
Steve

Date: July 16, 2018 01:22AM

Here's my GB underneath, no bracketry to be seen. Went out yesterday and it was pretty bad at coming out of 3rd. The road has some undulations which when going over under power seem to promote the problem.

I'm very keen to find a way of reducing the problem. The mounts are OK, the photo makes one look bad so I can only assume it's swaying enough to make it pop out.

Are the brackets available from somewhere? Not hugely difficult to make or adapt something but I like the idea of an original part. The jamb bolt idea seems kinda crude and potentially noisy so a method of employing a rubber damper would probably be preferable.

My cross member does differ significantly from the ones shown here but I assume I've found the right bit?

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
2009 Mazda MX5
2015 BMW 1 Series

Date: July 16, 2018 02:50AM

In an earlier post Clarks provided a link to this catalog page where they have the 2nd design rubber bushings.
Steve

Date: July 16, 2018 08:10AM

It's taken me a while to get my head around the diagram but that looks like it would be a good solution for me. I'm tempted to just double check my mountings as well then I can always order some at the same time.

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
2009 Mazda MX5
2015 BMW 1 Series

Posted by: texasuk ()
Date: September 10, 2018 02:52PM

My 62 has the bolt through the crossmember to stop it jumping out of gear. Works fine for me, if it isn't adjusted up it can jump out now and again. It isn't anything fancy, just a large nut welded to the bracket and a large bolt and lock nut that pushes on the gearbox crossmember in the relevant place.

I fitted a bronze bushing in the front guide for the mystery shifter, and made sure the pin that holds the shaft to the gearbox shifter was tight in the holes. Works really well for me, always know what gear it will be in and very smooth / tight feeling gear changes.

1964 Monza Convertible - now sold :-(
1962 Greenbrier - Never to be sold :-)

Living in the UK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 02:54PM by texasuk.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.