Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
FOR SALE : LM power top complete
Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: July 11, 2018 03:43PM

This is a recent decision taken only last weekend...
After taking Way too long to decide (long enough so that Nicol bought a different one), Duane Wentland agrees that I should sell the LM power top on my Corsa. Originally the car had a manual top, and it will bug me endlessly to have a power top on it.
It's white, complete, has no cracks, has always been inside. It worked OK when I put the car in the shop. I suspect it still does. I have the correct switch and mounting plate.
It's been folded down for quite a while, so parking it in the sun with the top up is going to be necessary to work the wrinkles out.
I'm not representing this as show-ready. But it is completely serviceable and in otherwise excellent condition. The rear window is not yellowed and save for some shop dust, it's clean.
I'd be most interested in working a trade for a new white top and frame complete. They need not be attached currently.
If no one is interested in a trade, I'll consider offers. At the moment, everything is attached, so crating and shipping would be fairly spendy. I'd not care to disassemble it. Local pickup (Salem, Oregon) would work just fine.
Don't have photos. Does anyone really need them?

forsale

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 04:28PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FOR SALE : LM power top complete
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: July 11, 2018 05:55PM

Is the LM power top frame actually different from the manual top. My Spyder came with a power top, not working, I had access to a parts car with a much better top that was manual, the only difference between the two was instead of cylinders the manual top had springs. I'm currently using the springs but saved the rest to convert it back to power if I ever feel the urge. It was really an easy swap, did it by myself.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: July 12, 2018 09:36AM

I am reliably informed that the frame has a different brace from manual to power. It's the bother of removal and disassembly I'm trying to avoid if at all possible.
I'd as lief just remove it in one piece rather than screw around with it. It'll go back on easier, so Duane assures me.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: July 12, 2018 05:09PM

Power tpp frames are indeed different from manual top frames
Adding power parts to a manual top frame makes it work funny. It will go up a.d down but the first few inches comming iff tge header need a hand and when comming back down to the header it needs to be pulled.
Else it will fold in on itself i the oposite direction it needs to go.

Marco
Sun Valley Ca 91352

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 15, 2018 04:27PM

I'd learn to live with it, since a replacement top frame is going to be labor intensive to clean, paint, re-chrome the hardware, and get it into proper alignment. Then you have the expense of replacing the top, padding, and other items, along with the side seals. I would hazard a guess that in the end, it is going to cost you a minimum of $2500 when all is said and done. I would wait till the time that you need a new top and do it then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: July 15, 2018 07:11PM

Not bad advice Junkman.
BUT, he want this car PERFECT.
Exactly the way it was Jam. 1968.
That is why he is having Duane do the restoration on it.
The part that you have to remember, is the SIG LINE!

"1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Vietnam the second time."

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.