Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Question on coil resistance wire
Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: July 11, 2018 06:13AM

I sold a 1965 140 monza a few days ago.The new owner was fiddling with the rear turn signal and had the key on for an extended time.He was concerned how hot the harness along the back of the engine compartment was getting.I told him that is normal for that wire bundle to get hot.Am I right about that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on coil resistance wire
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: July 11, 2018 07:01AM

Correct, the harness will be warm plus if the points were closed they may be toast now.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: July 11, 2018 07:05AM

It has electronic ignition but the coil probably will still get warm.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: July 11, 2018 08:46AM

Folks have reported leaving the key "ON" with the engine off will damage the Petronix I.

As Steve said, even points will be damaged.

A coil is an inductive device. When amperage first flows the resistance is high, but as the magnetic field stabilizes (coil saturates) the resistance decreases and amperage increases creating more HEAT. The ignition system components are designed for relatively short conduction periods alternating with off periods as the engine runs.

If the points are closed or the electronic switch is conducting (a good chance of that after the engine stops) and you leave the key "ON" it will overheat the coil and points (electronic switch) and resistance wire. Eventually a failure will occur.

This is one reason the "ACC" ignition switch position was added.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: July 11, 2018 10:38AM

Yeah - One of the earliest failures on the Stinger distributor was a guy who was working on his car and left the power to the distributor on - overnight. It started the next day, but the unit failed after about 10 minutes. A few minutes is probably okay.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: July 11, 2018 01:43PM

Thanks for the inputs guys.I am going to his house tonight to troubleshoot no power to the right rear stop/blinker.There is no voltage at the green wire and the fuse is good.The left brake light /blinker is fine so I have an open circuit for the right.I am thinking that I have a bad connection on the "gang plug"in the engine compartment for the green wire.I am going to pull the connector apart and clean the terminals and the pins to see if that fixes it.Progress report to follow.

Date: July 11, 2018 04:18PM

No luck on the connector being dirty.Tomorrow I will check the wiring from the turn signal switch rearward to find the open wire.This is the car that we recently converted from 4 speed to pg so there might a wiring issue in the "tunnel" .PG conversion went flawless.I am pissed that I am being harrased by a minor light problem.Oh well,s__t happens.More news tomorrow.Stay tuned!

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: July 11, 2018 06:18PM

thumper477 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the inputs guys.I am going to his house
> tonight to troubleshoot no power to the right rear
> stop/blinker.There is no voltage at the green wire
> and the fuse is good.The left brake light /blinker
> is fine so I have an open circuit for the right.I
> am thinking that I have a bad connection on the
> "gang plug"in the engine compartment for the green
> wire.I am going to pull the connector apart and
> clean the terminals and the pins to see if that
> fixes it.Progress report to follow.

While a number of things can cause your problem - the number one culprit is usually the infamous turn signal switch. Next is the obstinate turn signal harness connector. BTW - some dielectric grease on the contacts and housing make it go together much easier.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: July 11, 2018 06:51PM

thumper477 Wrote:
> No luck on the connector being dirty.Tomorrow I
> will check the wiring from the turn signal switch
> rearward to find the open wire.This is the car
> that we recently converted from 4 speed to pg so
> there might a wiring issue in the "tunnel" .PG
> conversion went flawless.I am pissed that I am
> being harrased by a minor light problem.Oh
> well,s__t happens.More news tomorrow.Stay tuned!

I would suspect turn signal switch is not making contact on that side feed. Feed for brake lamps goes thru the T/S switch. The T/S switch re-routes the circuit to the bulb thru the flasher when turn is selected...otherwise the brake lamp switch operates the bulb when turn is not selected. A bad connection at that contact in the T/S switch could cause neither T/S or brake lamp to function. Usually when there are contact issues in the T/S switch only one side is effected but there is no reason that both sides of that contact could not be effected. If you have power at the flasher 18BRN wire (ignition on) and have power at one side of the brake lamp switch 20B/OR wire then the T/S switch is likely the culprit. You may be able to remove the steering wheel and clean contacts. I prefer to simply replace the switch as often the contacts are somewhat burned and any contact issue is likely to recur after cleaning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 11, 2018 07:08PM

INSIDE Pic of the switch is in our FAQ'

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 12, 2018 10:33AM

T/S switch and wiring ok inside car.We will get it on the lift and pull the tunnel pans and investigate further.Film at 11.

Date: July 12, 2018 01:03PM

thumper477 Wrote:
> T/S switch and wiring ok inside car.We will get it
> on the lift and pull the tunnel pans and
> investigate further.Film at 11.

So you are getting good constant output on the wire to the brake light bulb past the T/S switch when the brake pedal is pushed and good flashing output on the same wire when turn is selected? (easily measured by reading the 20DG wire at the plug that connects to the main body wiring harness). Tis only 1 wire after that. Before taking tunnel apart check for continuity on the wire from the plug at the front of the main body harness to the plug at the rear of the main body harness. Hard to investigate a wrapped harness very much without unwrapping it anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 17, 2018 05:50AM

Found the problem.It had an open wire up under the dash near fusebox for the right blinker/brake light.

Date: July 17, 2018 06:05AM

Nice, glad you found it.

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.