Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: July 12, 2018 08:42AM

Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember some rumblings about building a
> barn/garage a couple of years ago. My guess is
> Hell will freeze over before that ever happens.


Not everyone is as prefect as you!
Nor does everyone have everything go smoothly "all the time" like you are acting like it does for you. grinning smiley
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Nor is everyone as rude as you are! grinning smiley Well there is one other... grinning smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: July 12, 2018 02:42PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The long term problem with a pole barn is that,
> sooner or later, they will all rot off at the
> ground. So if you plan on having the property for
> any length of time (think in decades) a permanent
> concrete and block foundation is the only way to
> go.

I'm pretty sure a pole barn will last longer than most of us. Just don't use cheap poles. How many utility poles do you see falling down?
Some will put concrete in the bottom of the hole, let it cure, then pole and concrete to the top, I'm sure it helps. I'd get some retired power poles and plant them in the dirt, if it lasts 30 years I'll be almost 90, good enough for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: July 12, 2018 05:18PM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Murphy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I remember some rumblings about building a
> > barn/garage a couple of years ago. My guess is
> > Hell will freeze over before that ever happens.
>
>
> Not everyone is as prefect as you!
> Nor does everyone have everything go smoothly "all
> the time" like you are acting like it does for
> you. grinning smiley
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Nor is everyone as rude as you are! grinning smiley Well there
> is one other... grinning smiley

Perfect, works every time.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting REALclose.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: July 15, 2018 06:19PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The long term problem with a pole barn is that,
> sooner or later, they will all rot off at the
> ground. So if you plan on having the property for
> any length of time (think in decades) a permanent
> concrete and block foundation is the only way to
> go.


I used "Perma columns" which don't rot.









Your previous post: [corvaircenter.com]

Kevin
Medina, OH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: July 16, 2018 10:18AM

I currently have a 24x24 and a 24x48 - both are significantly too small.

If / when I do it again. Minimum 40x80, 12' ceiling, with a 2nd story / loft above (load bearing floor).

In floor heat, and a toilet / wash sink also a must. A vehicle lift is also a must.


Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: July 16, 2018 03:50PM

flamingchariots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 67 airvair Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The long term problem with a pole barn is that,
> > sooner or later, they will all rot off at the
> > ground. So if you plan on having the property
> for
> > any length of time (think in decades) a
> permanent
> > concrete and block foundation is the only way
> to
> > go.
>
>
> I used "Perma columns" which don't rot.
>
>
> [corvaircenter.com]
> 0920,filename=6739.JPG
>
> [corvaircenter.com]
> 0921,filename=6735.JPG
>
> [corvaircenter.com]
> 0919,filename=666.JPG
>
>
> Your previous post:
> [corvaircenter.com],
> 760117#msg-760117


Kevin,

I recall these from before.
Were you able to order just the concrete columns without their wood post?
What size post did you go with?
How many did you use and what was your cost?
I might also have to use 6x6 for code here...
I will have to see if I can get them here in Ontario Canada and if they offer them for standard 6x6 post.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: July 16, 2018 03:57PM

isucorvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I currently have a 24x24 and a 24x48 - both are
> significantly too small.
>
> If / when I do it again. Minimum 40x80, 12'
> ceiling, with a 2nd story / loft above (load
> bearing floor).
>
> In floor heat, and a toilet / wash sink also a
> must. A vehicle lift is also a must.
>
>
> Eric P.
> DeWitt, IA



Eric,

I like your thinking...
I know I will need a large shop with the size of these Ultravans Grin
However, it has been a long time coming just to get a garage and now that we no longer have the extra expenses of the other house - I can hopefull do something and not just plan it. lol
So I thought I get something up ASAP and worry about a larger shop later...
If I'm able to do a large garage at some point...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: July 16, 2018 05:31PM

Hi Tony, a friendly personal question. How old are you? No answer required. I am 73 now and losing body strength and the will to keep playing with old cars. I was going to build a bigger garage in my early 60s. Enough to park the motor home and work on cars. Now ten years later I'm glad I didn't. It would now be a place to suck up insurance money and electric, store junk that are kids would need to dispose of. I lost my younger brother several years ago and my twin sister last year, as well as a lot of close friends. My wife and I are in great health and active. We still both run, ski locally and in the Rockies and travel a lot instead of always fixing stuff. Just food for thought, NOT ADVICE AT ALL,life is always about choices.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 16, 2018 05:50PM

I'll second what JO just wrote...

Had I built my 80x 160 Shop 10 years ago.... then suffering with a sudden Nervous system disorder for 8 years.... I'd be bummed...

I just spent a week just cleaning out my two 30x30 Garage / shops... and I still cannot find what I'm looking for!.

No more large projects for me.... I'm just glad I was able to do lots of projects in my first 60 years...

signed a 71 yr. old with a new lease on life!





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: July 16, 2018 05:52PM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I recall these from before.
> Were you able to order just the concrete columns
> without their wood post?
> What size post did you go with?
> How many did you use and what was your cost?
> I might also have to use 6x6 for code here...
> I will have to see if I can get them here in
> Ontario Canada and if they offer them for standard
> 6x6 post.


Tony, I don't have specifics for your questions, as it was designed by an engineering firm to pass inspection, and built by Amish.

This website might be helpful to you, as it is in Canada: [www.permacolumn.com]



Great Lakes Perma- Column

1 Fletcher Lane

Rodney, ON N0L 2C0

(519) 360-0324

[www.permacolumn.ca]

Kevin
Medina, OH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: July 16, 2018 05:53PM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Tony, a friendly personal question. How old are
> you? No answer required. I am 73 now and losing
> body strength and the will to keep playing with
> old cars. I was going to build a bigger garage in
> my early 60s. Enough to park the motor home and
> work on cars. Now ten years later I'm glad I
> didn't. It would now be a place to suck up
> insurance money and electric, store junk that are
> kids would need to dispose of. I lost my younger
> brother several years ago and my twin sister last
> year, as well as a lot of close friends. My wife
> and I are in great health and active. We still
> both run, ski locally and in the Rockies and
> travel a lot instead of always fixing stuff. Just
> food for thought, NOT ADVICE AT ALL,life is always
> about choices.


I'm creeping up on the 60...
But I've been told by a couple of doctors (due to my multiple head injuries) that I need to keep active mind and body.
I've always enjoyed working on things...
Getting cars back on the road again.
BTW - If I'm ever able to build that large garage I will be able to use it until I die..
Up here people are always looking for winter storage.
So when I can not use it for my personal use I should be able to rent out storage space.
Or at least that is my hope... Grin



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2018 05:54PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: July 16, 2018 06:46PM

My "shop is 30x30 with 12 foot walls it's the square tubing design, handles a car lift fine. I have big lean-tos on both sides and the back to keep all my 'stuff' parked out of the rain and sun. I don't think the shop needs to be huge unless you want to work on several vehicles at once but I do like having some shelter to park the rest of the stuff under.
I agree traveling is a big focus for us, main obstacle right now is I only have 6 weeks of vacation each year.
Getting to your 70's is a major accomplishment, lots of folks don't make it.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: Don1963 ()
Date: July 19, 2018 03:55PM

I do my work in a 130 year old barn. It has a very strong wood floor. I would never expose it to welding or torches. I would love to have a concrete floor!
If I were going to spend the money on a building, and the city would allow me to build. I would go the pole barn route and put in the slab later. The cement truck has extensions to reach a long way into the structure. The cement contractors do it all the time. As cold as it gets here in Michigan, I still rely on insulated boots and insulated overalls. Good luck on your build!

66 Corsa 110 4spd 3.55 posi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Garage Build - What would you do and why?
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: July 19, 2018 04:27PM

Don1963 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do my work in a 130 year old barn. It has a very
> strong wood floor. I would never expose it to
> welding or torches. I would love to have a
> concrete floor!
> If I were going to spend the money on a building,
> and the city would allow me to build. I would go
> the pole barn route and put in the slab later. The
> cement truck has extensions to reach a long way
> into the structure. The cement contractors do it
> all the time. As cold as it gets here in Michigan,
> I still rely on insulated boots and insulated
> overalls. Good luck on your build!


Thank you Don. I need it... Good luck that is.
It's been long time coming and still not a done deal yet..
I have thought about it and work on design ideas on and off for years now.
But each time I think - dream - hope - there is light at the end of the tunnel and we will have the funds.
It falls through.. Not wanting to complain here..
I understand life has it's own ideas and God has his own path for us...
So it has been a waiting game.
After years of living a part from the MRS. We are now under one roof and I do see the light..
I just not 100% sure what kind of building I should build and when it will be completed..

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.