Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Slipping fan belt pulley MOD???
Posted by: aircooled6 ()
Date: July 12, 2018 06:52AM

It sounds to me like the hold down bolt or nut is stripping out when he attempts to lock down the idler pulley. Then, while the engine is running, the idler is what slips, thus loosening the belt to the point that it simply falls off.

Perhaps the stud that is used there is shot and a replacement is in order.

The particular belt used is not of importance in this case, that isnt what the trouble is.

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
(Now, South of 820!!)
64 Greenbrier 110 with 95 heads/PG

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 07:32AM

I would think that if the idler pulley is slipping against the belt, that pulls has a bad bearing and does not want to spin. It is one of the areas I protect when washing down my engine.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: anthonyvsalgado ()
Date: July 14, 2018 11:55PM

Apologies everyone. Working out of town. It post pics when I get back Wednesday.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 15, 2018 07:22AM

I learned back in the early 1960's how important it was to make sure that the belt tracks properly. After having some warranty work done on my Corvair engine, it started throwing belts. There was one mechanic at the dealership that came out to look at the car, and said he would be right back. He came back with a few tools, and adjusted the oil filter adapter to make sure that the belt tracked properly. Installed a new belt, and I never had a problem after that with a thrown belt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: July 15, 2018 06:41PM

junkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I learned back in the early 1960's how important
> it was to make sure that the belt tracks properly.
> After having some warranty work done on my
> Corvair engine, it started throwing belts. There
> was one mechanic at the dealership that came out
> to look at the car, and said he would be right
> back. He came back with a few tools, and adjusted
> the oil filter adapter to make sure that the belt
> tracked properly. Installed a new belt, and I
> never had a problem after that with a thrown belt.

Hello Junkman

That's pretty interesting, any details as to how he adjusted the oil filter adapter?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 15, 2018 06:49PM

Slotted the Holes!!! GGGG

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 15, 2018 06:50PM

Loosened the bolts and gave it a slight twist. I had a PM discussion with another member that said that there is only slight movement that can be made since the bolt holes are so tight. I don't know if this was a change by GM to shrink the bolt holes, so the oil filter adapter would be exactly where it needed to be, and if and when that change might have been done. The car was a early production 1962 Monza. At that time in my life (1962), it was transportation, and being under warranty, I had no interest in doing any repairs to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.