Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
How do I Identify an Engine Externally?
Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: July 09, 2018 10:12AM

I have an FC engine here that I am not sure whether it is a 145-cid 1963 engine, or a 164-cid 1964 engine. I believe that there is a simple external visual clue on the crankcase, but I do not recall what it may be.

You might say, just check the case code. Well, the code is ‘W’ and that code is listed for both displacements.

You might say, check the casting number on the heads. One head is 3813513, which the reference material lists for 1962-63 80-hp, and the other head is 3839887, which the reference material lists for 1964 95-hp.

The crank pulley is the earlier stamped-metal type, a fairly strong indication that this is a 145-cid engine. But given the mismatched heads I am reluctant to put much faith in that clue. Without starting to take it apart, what can I look for?

--Bob

WhyImWhenIm64

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I Identify an Engine Externally?
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: July 09, 2018 10:22AM

Does it have the extra case rib?

Date: July 09, 2018 10:26AM

Phil Dally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does it have the extra case rib?

I don't know. What's 'extra?' What should I look for?

WhyImWhenIm64

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 09, 2018 10:37AM

to the right in pic.... next to studs... 164 case will have RIBS.... 145 will be smooth in that area.

Attachments:
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 09, 2018 11:14AM

But someone could have modified the block inside to take the 164 CI components. You would have to get the crank forging number to see if it is a 164 or 145 crankshaft forging. That would require taking off the top cover.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: July 09, 2018 11:29AM

You can determine if you have a short stroke engine or a long stroke engine without removing the top cover or pulling a head. Pull the plugs, bring the engine to TDC. What you are going to do is measure the stroke with a couple of wires, one for when the piston is at TDC, and one for when the piston is at BDC.

Bend a piece of stiff wire into an "L" shape and stick it in the plug hole of #1 so that it touches the piston top at the edge of the piston and is in the center of the spark plug hole. Now rotate the engine 180 degrees and bend a new wire with the leg of the "L" 2.94 inches longer than the first wire. If the 2nd wire is now located in the center of the spark plug hole and you can feel it touching the piston top, you have a long stroke crank. If it's off to the side of the spark plug hole, it's a short stroke crank.

Date: July 09, 2018 03:41PM

Great tip!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 09, 2018 07:58PM

Thank you, everyone. My buddy Caveman Pete gave me a call and reminded me that I really did know how to do this, I was just having a senior moment. Well, more than a moment, but you get the point. Anyway, the engine proves to be a 1962 FC 80-hp with one mismatched head. I have a spare correct head, so a swap may be in the cards.

WhyImWhenIm64

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 10, 2018 11:05AM

And you aren't sharing the method? Need a secret handshake?grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 11, 2018 08:54AM

Frank, no secret handshake, the tip was to look at the right-front heater hose shroud. Straight = 145, notched = 164. Which I knew, but had managed to forget.

--Bob

WhyImWhenIm64

Date: July 11, 2018 12:40PM

Notched for the rib....

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: July 11, 2018 12:55PM

Here are pics of two early engine cases. Notice no ribs are seen in the casting area between cylinder #5 and the bellhousing mounting face.

Bonus points: Experts will be able to narrow further the origin of these early cases by a feature see on one but missing on the other.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Attachments:

Date: July 11, 2018 01:29PM

Tapped and plugged hole for the Oil Pressure switch.
Moved to the top Generator adaptor late in 1961 - on.
Boss that is untapped indicates a later production.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: CorvairHaven ()
Date: July 12, 2018 09:10PM

Do the multiple hash marks along the top of the second picture have anything to do with identification?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.