Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT, Towing a Heavy load witha Tahoe?
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: July 09, 2018 12:49PM

Do not know why you would even consider towing that heavy of a trailer with that Tahoe.

You would be a danger to anybody else on the road as well as you and your family.

Sure, you might get away with it, but; then, you might not.

The ratings are in your owner's manual - Max recommended towed weight AND the max combined weight - the loaded Tahoe plus the loaded trailer.

Of course, the ratings in the owner's manual does not stop anybody from exceeding them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: July 09, 2018 02:16PM

I'm pretty sure some of you have missed the question. How does the 1/2 ton Tahoe compare to the 3/4 ton trucks from the 70s into the 80s? I don't see anywhere that shows any towing capacities for the older trucks, when did that start?

Yes Lee my current tires are Load Range E, usually run 50psi, more when I tow something.

I wasn't going 25 on grades because I was scared or unstable, just taking it easy because I have a limited drivetrain and don't want to break it.

And no I doubt that I'd be a danger to the world if I chose to exceed the towing capacity that someone decided is safe to tow with my truck, I've probably got 300,000 miles of towing experience, I'd probably be safer towing 10K with the Tahoe than the average person pulling a 6,000 lb travel trailer hooked to a 3/4 ton truck, not because my rig is as good but because I can tow a trailer and most have no clue. And no I don't plan to, just kind of curious how these capacities came about and how the newer hardware compares to the older stuff.

Agree Phil on the truck, probably within a year or so but not certain I want a fifth wheel, there are advantages but they are all so tall it presents a barrier to taking them some places I want to go, I had a 38 foot pusher for a while and we just couldn't go some places, even some roads it wouldn't clear the bridges. A 30 foot travel trailer fits a lot more camping spots.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: July 09, 2018 02:27PM

Hmmm I am sure my 70's GM pickups had a GVWR placard in the door jamb. As I recall they usually included a gross vehicle combined weight rating as well.

I just looked at me 2011 Ford pickup. It shows only a GVWR so I guess unless you happen to know how it is optioned or perhaps find this out from a vin search you would not know what the Combined weight rating would be. (there were different options from the factory...tow package or not...which gave different capacities)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2018 02:32PM by TerribleTed.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 09, 2018 02:37PM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned a load leveling hitch and sway control? I would put 2 sway control kits on it and a load leveling hitch that is rated for the weight and go for it. The brakes on the Tahoe are fine as long as the trailer brakes work. You want to make sure the weight is distributed correctly in the camper just like you would towing a Corvair on a flatbed trailer. I put a big rear sway bar on my 1/2 ton truck and lowered it also. Tows great. Even pulls my 30HP Kubota/loader/backhoe. I don't know how heavy it is but it makes the trailer tires look flat.

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: July 09, 2018 03:14PM

The maximum rated towing capacity is likely around 7400 lbs as long as you have the 3.73 rear end and the tranny cooler. I think your biggest concern might be getting caught up in a DOT blitz. Here in Canada the DOT is well known for pulling over half tons and three quarter ton trucks pulling fifth wheels or with campers to ensure they are within the manufacturers recommended guidelines. If not, the vehicle is pulled off the highway. I used to tow a 7500 lb trailer with my 2009 silverado 3/4 ton. It was rated at 12,500 lbs flat tow and the 7500 lb dry weight trailer was as much as I wanted to tow in the hills. My new Dodge 1 ton diesel, rated at 17,000 lbs, is a world apart from my old chev. I cannot wait for the new body style chev 1 tons to hit the market.

I would suggest that, for safety and peace of mind, find something more capable of towing if you are going to go to a heavier trailer.

Have fun and stay safe.

James
Maple Ridge, BC

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2013 Hyundai Elantra (daughter's future car)
2009 Silverado HD Crew Cab 4x4 (for haulin cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP

Posted by: NebraskaDave ()
Date: July 09, 2018 04:54PM

During Memorial Day weekend, the state patrol had 6 troopers pulling everyone over outside of a local reservoir. They are cracking down on guys traveling overloaded and unregistered, and rightfully so. I tow a 4,500lb travel trailer with an ecoboost F150, and it does great. But, I wouldn’t go much heavier. I think a lot of people forget about their vehicle’s cargo capacity rating. My truck is rated at 1450 lbs, and when I throw in kids, dogs, wife, all their gear, a bed full of bikes, a weight distribution hitch, and the tongue weight of the trailer, I’m sure I’m nearing my 1450 lbs. That ecoboost with a trans cooler will tow the hell of something much heavier, but there’s a real limitation with the 1/2 ton suspension.

1963 Monza Convertible
Nebraska

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: July 09, 2018 05:36PM

My 2013 F250 4X4 crew cab is rated at 23.5K maximum plus it's bagged.

I was surprised at that number too but its right there in the Ford guide.

The RV dealer check these numbers before I bought...no axle coach allowed.

Coach weighs 13.5K, truck is 8K, only 2K for gear and I do want more truck.

[www.fleet.ford.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: Richard ()
Date: July 09, 2018 06:29PM

>>I wasn't going 25 on grades because I was scared or unstable, just taking it easy because I have a limited drivetrain and don't want to break it.<<

With that same consideration and understanding of your Tahoe's limitations. I can only assume you plan on towing a 9200# trailer at 15 mph.

You have repeatedly ask about 3/4 ton trucks from the 70s compared to your 1/2 ton Tahoe. Your Tahoe carries extra glass, extra doors, extra seats and a variety of extra creature comforts that eat into the GVWR that the '70s 3/4 wasn't burdened with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2018 06:30PM by Richard.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: July 09, 2018 07:51PM

Phil Dally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My 2013 F250 4X4 crew cab is rated at 23.5K
> maximum plus it's bagged.
>
> I was surprised at that number too but its right
> there in the Ford guide.
>
> The RV dealer check these numbers before I
> bought...no axle coach allowed.

>
> Coach weighs 13.5K, truck is 8K, only 2K for gear
> and I do want more truck.
>
> [www.fleet.ford.com]
> pdf/towingguides/13FLRVTTgde_Oct19.pdf

????? please clarify this statement.

My '05 F350 Tow-Boss had a GCVWR of 26K
Fully loaded with all of my tools, 185 gallons of fuel, and personal gear, I was sitting at 10K, before I even hooked up to a trailer.
That truck only had a couple things wrong with it.
A 6.0 liter engine, and a Blue Oval on the grill!

My advice?
Go CUMMINS!
and ROLL COAL ! ! !

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: July 10, 2018 02:27AM

OOPS!!! Forgot the 3...must have more truck (1 ton) for a 3 axle trailer.

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: July 10, 2018 09:59AM

Just because your Tahoe will pull the weight doesn't mean it's safe to tow. I tow with a 04 Dodge diesel dually about 5,000 miles year . loaded about 20,000 , truck does great but there have been times on the expressway where a big truck was a life saver. I couldn't emagine towing something that you were talking about that heavy with a Tahoe. I would up your life insurance also.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 10, 2018 02:42PM

My truck weighs 21,600lbs but it doesn't have a hitch. I need to get one.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: July 10, 2018 02:57PM

One basic rule of towing, designed to reduce likelihood of the trailer pushing the tow vehicle around, is to never tow something that's heavier than the tow-vehicle.

Stir-in the Tahoe's relatively short wheelbase, lighter-duty brakes, and its' mooshy suspension and you have a combination that leaves little margin for error. JMHO

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: July 10, 2018 03:31PM

I don't necessarily disagree that towing with the modern big trucks is safer, the evidence proves they are. A point I try to make is that in years past this wasn't so much of a concern and that towing with a more modern smaller vehicle is perhaps as safe as what was available years ago. In the 70s and early 80s it was common to tow a fairly large travel trailer with a 4 door Buick, I used to install hitches on them at a camper dealership.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Attachments:
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: July 10, 2018 05:57PM

cnicol Wrote:
> One basic rule of towing, designed to reduce
> likelihood of the trailer pushing the tow vehicle
> around, is to never tow something that's heavier
> than the tow-vehicle.
>
> Stir-in the Tahoe's relatively short wheelbase,
> lighter-duty brakes, and its' mooshy suspension
> and you have a combination that leaves little
> margin for error. JMHO

Echoing this. I used a couple of v6 Isuzu Rodeos to tow a 4500 lbs loaded camping trailer for a number of years ago years all over the West. Right at the GCVR for the vehicle. A couple of scary times trying to stop and 1 single car accident on a gentle local Freeway with no injury. No way I want to tow 9200 lbs with a 4500 lbs short wheel base truck. Even we'll set trailer brakes don't help much on a down hill gravel road with ABS brakes.

It is not about how much power the engine has.
As the O.P. knows, it is all about control.
My dad and I towed a loaded Rampside Camper home with a 283 1964 Chevy Impala wagon in 1974. Very nerve racking trip for 300 miles on what is now I-5,fomerly, U.S. 99 over the Grapevine.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: July 10, 2018 10:51PM

My rule of thumb is that you can never overbuild your rig. Always use the biggest, heaviest duty truck your wallet can afford. If you note, to a man, everyone is talking BIG rigs. And for a reason. A small, inadequate truck can get you in a lot of trouble, in a heck of a hurry, and usually at the worst possible moment. Why is it that so often many people want to underbuild their tow rig, and think they can get away with it? Rhetorical question, maybe.

That said there's two things I would like to see on the market, offered from the factory. The first would be a built-in in-the-bed fifth wheel coupling, placed under a trap door.

The second is a dually with a narrow rear tread. Tub the inside of the bed. No need for a "Fat Fender" truck, IMHO.

-Mark

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: July 11, 2018 05:38AM

I worked my way up from a 90 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab, short bed 4x4 to a 05 Sierra 1500 extended cab 4x4 to the 03 Sierra 2500HD extended cab 4x4 I have now. I have an all steel 17 foot car trailer that I have towed all over the country. The heaviest vehicle I typically put on it would be my Grand National. It tows Corvairs like they aren't there. Huge difference in stability, braking power and over all confidence.

Lee J

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: July 11, 2018 06:00AM

67 airvair Wrote:
No need for a "Fat
> Fender" truck, IMHO.
>
> -Mark

The wider stance provides more stability with high profile loads in cross winds and heavy loads on twisty roads..

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: July 11, 2018 07:27PM

cnicol Wrote:
One basic rule of towing, designed to reduce likelihood of the trailer pushing the tow vehicle around, is to never tow something that's heavier than the tow-vehicle.

Stir-in the Tahoe's relatively short wheelbase, lighter-duty brakes, and its' mooshy suspension and you have a combination that leaves little margin for error. JMHO

I would agree that this is true in a "perfect world".
Unfortunately, many of the large triple axle, All-Season, fifth-wheel, Mobile Mansions, are pushing a tow vehicle near the GCVWR BEFORE ever having any of an owners personal belongings loaded into it!
I moved many 15,000 to 17,000 lb. trailers back in the day.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: July 11, 2018 10:18PM

I had a '56 Cadillac limo in my Eclipse 24' trailer once. Thankfully, it didn't have the dagmars on it at the time, or it might not have fitted in. LOL But I had no trouble towing it from Cleveland to south of Columbus with my 3/4 ton Sub pulling it. Also towed a '73 Cadillac Sedan DeVille from Columbus to Indy with the same rig, no problem.

The only thing I ever towed with that rig that gave ma any concern was a couple of times I had a 'Brier in it. Had to sit the 'Brier at the very back end of the trailer because of the slope of its front end. It tended to lift the Sub's rear end, just enough to make it light and easy to spin the rear wheels.

-Mark

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.