Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Pulling to the right!
Posted by: Monza ()
Date: July 08, 2018 05:47PM

Hello everyone! Thanks to everyone who helped with the idle issues! I've got a new problem. When I got the car the old owner said it pulled to the right. I rebuilt the brakes with all new stuff. Still pulls to the right. Do these cars have purporting valves? Could there be something I missed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pulling to the right!
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: July 08, 2018 05:50PM

Assuming the brakes are adjusted correctly, I would have to check the alignment, ball joints and tie rod ends.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 08, 2018 05:55PM

Normally LEFT brake is not functioning!

Most likely sticky wheel cylinder....

NEXT... is Front end tight? no play in the wheel?

You can check "toe-in" easily at home....

Since it's NEW to YOU..

Get a friend...

have them count the turns of the Steering wheel and "Center" AS YOU watch the Steering arm to make sure it's centered...at the same spot.

Now look down the side of the body and make sure they seem straight... or no more than a little bit pointed / "toe'd" IN up front..

If not get back to us for instructions.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2018 05:55PM by MattNall.

Date: July 08, 2018 06:00PM

I'll check the alignment. Like I said, the only thing I reused on the brakes was the steel lines, which were in excellent shape. New cylinders and soft lines all around.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: July 08, 2018 06:09PM

Over the years I've run into a number of things that cause this, and learned a few things from posts here.

Did you install new brake shoes, brake springs, check the drum diameter?

My last go round was a real oddball. New shoes and the adheasive from one shoe oozed out onto the lining and got into the linings and drum. Much to my amazement brake cleaner removed the mess and the brakes worked fine after I cleaned them.

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: July 08, 2018 06:09PM

Mine was pulling to the right...I reset the toe in...was in specs but made it closer to the min. The thing that cured it was I converted over to a duel MC and the brake did not have the slight free play between the brake pedal and MC. I adjusted in a little more play in the brake pedal as I had NONE and that took care of the pulling to the right.

Of course, several things can cause pulling to one side...even worn wheel bearings.

Having built 3 street rods, one frame off, the other two close to that, I should have known better when I changed the Master Cylinder...shame on me.

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: July 08, 2018 06:15PM

Check the alignment, especially the "control rod" (Item 19 in Clarks here)

This control rod reacts to the braking force, and if its adjusted wrong, or the bushings are loose, the control arm comes backward and causes a pull to the side. The right one would be the key one to look at for a pull to the right. I had the same problem, and I adjusted this rod to push the right control arm forward slightly and I tightened the play up between the bushings, and it made a radical change for the better.

Ken

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: July 08, 2018 07:19PM

Do these cars have proportioning valves?

Date: July 08, 2018 07:23PM

Nope!!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: July 08, 2018 07:33PM

Monza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello everyone! Thanks to everyone who helped with
> the idle issues! I've got a new problem. When I
> got the car the old owner said it pulled to the
> right. I rebuilt the brakes with all new stuff.
> Still pulls to the right. Do these cars have
> purporting valves? Could there be something I
> missed?

Did you indeed put all new stuff including shoes, drums turned, hoses, wheel cylinders, brake spring kits, self adjuster kits, cleaned and lubricated shoe contact points on backing plates. If this is the case you have a bleeding issue (air in L side), assembly error, adjustment error, a faulty part perhaps, maybe an alignment issue. I have had a couple recently that spring and adjuster kits fixed pulls (the old parts looked ok). One that I had to smooth the backing plate contact points (a couple small high spots) and lube again. Small thing can make a difference. You can try to isolate issues to a point by swapping swappable parts to see if issue swaps (only shoes, drums, hoses, and spring kits can be swapped). Generally a pull one way is an issue with the other side of the car not working or working weakly but shoe not returning from sticking to backing plate can cause pull on that side. I would re-bleed, replace any non replaced parts and look very closely at my install. I might next swap some parts side to side. Alignment issues might be next. If the right front is pulling it is possible that wheel is adjusted farther back than the left.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: July 08, 2018 08:24PM

Monza,

Does it Only pull to the right when you apply the brakes?

Date: July 08, 2018 08:56PM

Yes.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: July 08, 2018 10:19PM

Front or rear wheel locking up? Jam the brakes hard to see. Usually you can get a pulling brake to lock up before other brakes., Rear wheel locking causes are similar to fronts but if the R rear e-brake cable is not fully releasing could hold the R rear shoes out some causing early engagement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: July 09, 2018 06:35AM

You want them even = adjusted the same. So readjust all your brakes and test them again to see if it pulls.

Date: July 09, 2018 09:51AM

It's the front that's pulling. It pulls hard enough that it will take the steering wheel away from you, but only when you hit the brakes even at low speeds.

Posted by: MonzaJPD61 ()
Date: July 09, 2018 10:08AM

One of your front brakes is doing more "work" than the other... the direction it pulls is the one doing the most braking.

Likely causes: 1) uneven brake adjustment (opposite side from pull is not adjusted tight enough or pulling side is adjusted too tight) 2) contamination on brake linings on opposite side of pull, 3) wheel cylinder on side opposite side from pull sticking.

Cars with proportioning valve is for front to back bias adjustment AFAIK

Good luck.

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: July 09, 2018 11:33AM

Don't ask me how I know, did the shoes get installed correctly with the long and short material shoes in the correct place?

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: July 09, 2018 11:38AM

Another thing that will take the steering wheel out of your hand is washing your car.. washing it, really?..then driving it pretty soon after that. I had to return home many times right after washing it until I put two and two together. Having enough credits in math minus one 3hr course to teach it in HS, that should not be a problem.

This is how that occurs. I had removed the rubber stoppers when I rebuilt the brakes, did not put them back in thinking I would re-adjust the brakes after driving it....it did fine so they were not put in. Water gets in the drum and if ANY liquid other than graphite gets in the drum....you almost lose total control of the car pulling to the side.

As I stated earlier about fixing my pull....

I am thinking by adjusting the clearance in the brake pedal to MC took my pulling away as the brake lining/fit is different in the front wheels and the right brake was probably slightly appied causing the pull.

Date: July 09, 2018 07:05PM

Problem fixed. I copied the way the brake shoes were installed when I rebuilt the brakes. I didn't know about primary and secondary brake shoes. I put it up and stands and had the drums off and as soon as my dad walked by he spotted they were backwards. Swapped them around and now they work great. Thanks everyone for all your helpful suggestions and ideas!

Date: July 09, 2018 07:13PM

Great news!! We luv easy fixes!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.