Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Tightening Bolt on Crank Pulley (Hcool smiley
Posted by: Frog ()
Date: July 08, 2018 04:21PM

I'm revisiting some questions I had a few months ago regarding tightening the bolt on my new haronic balancer.

Here are the comments I made back then:

How many repetitions of torquing up to specifications is normal?

What happens is that I torque the nut to the specification from the shop manual:40-50 lb.ft.

I've developed the habit of occasionally connecting my beam-type torque wrench to the crank nut just to check the start and rotation torque setting (counterclockwise) to make sure everything's moving smoothly inside the engine.

Last night I did that and the crank bolt turned with the torque wrench. I'm guessing that after reaching the specified torque setting that after a time the HB has "eased" its way further down and then I have to retorque until at some point the HB will seat against the shaft and stay there at the proper torque setting.

I have continued to turn the shaft this way nearly every time I walked by the engine.

Yesterday, I connected the oil-pressure gauge and inserted a stripped distributor shaft in preparation for priming the engine for the first time since putting it together.

Everything functioned as designed in accordance with Dave Motohead's video. He stated that the engine in the demonstration had been sitting out in the desert for twenty-five years.

I observed that after spinning the oil pump a few revolutions, Dave effortlessly rotated the engine with a medium-sized wrench even though the engine had been sitting idle for all those years.

Here's my concern:

After I made a few repetitions of spinning the oil pump and rotating the engine I could see that I had good oil pressure and oil started oozing out of the oil ports on the crankshaft. Because I'd forgotten to tighten the bolts on the valve covers, oil also began leaking out of them meaning that oil is also getting to the rocker arms and push rods.

With all this lubrication with break-in oil I had assumed that rotating the engine would have been much easier than before I primed it, but low and behold, the crank-pulley bolt spun with my wrench.

My question: Is there some point at which torquing the bolt will eventually make the pulley bottom out and THEN I can finally torque it to 40-50 lb.ft.?

I've been offered the suggestion to Loctite it, but I don't want to do that until I know the pulley is fully seated against end of the shaft.

Please advise.

Frog

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tightening Bolt on Crank Pulley (Hcool smiley
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 08, 2018 05:00PM

You have a new engine... it's tight.... wait until it's been run a few hours..or turn it backwards!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 08, 2018 05:12PM

Thank you, Matt. That makes sense.

Also, all appears well, now.

Frog

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 09, 2018 09:49AM

Yes, the pulley needs to bottom out against the oil slinger, distributor drive gear, fuel pump eccentric, etc. If the bolt tightens without the pulley bottoming out, you will have happen what happened to me years ago. Suddenly while driving on the interstate, the engine backfired and died. It was then I found the bolt loose and the pulley not seated, letting the distributor drive gear slide to the rear, changing timing.....eye popping smiley

Wondered why the belt seemed to be not quite riding right....thumbs down

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 11, 2018 04:43PM

Thank you, Frank.

Crank pulley appears to have bottomed out.

Frog

Rob Lane
Clayton, in the Northeast Georgia Mountains.
1964 500 Coupe
Purchased by me in April of 1964.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.